Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who eliminated the STS PCV system and used a catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I feel your pain bro ! The wife is always saying why this and why that But I lover her for it because I just had a little one But the wife likes trail blazers alot sooo........ I may have two toys soon because she dosent know anything about the trailblazer SS!
Nice.... Unfotunately I've taught my wife too much about these cars....she knows exactly what a TrailBlazer SS is.......

Congrats on the little one too
Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
But the wife likes trail blazers alot sooo........ I may have two toys soon because she dosent know anything about the trailblazer SS!
Beating the system
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sts the ss lol then shed kill you
Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

First on my car, I don't have the STS oil return in the oil cap, there's an unused port on the valve cover that I use for that. Then I have a breather in place of the oil cap. Then I have driver's side routed to an AMW catch can mounted on the passenger side head. The catch can has a small breather attached to it as well. I then have the returns under the throttle body capped off. The PCV system is completely deleted. You just have to make sure that every time you start the car, the oil gets up to temp so it can burn off any moisture in it. Otherwise you will have a sludge problem. This is on an '04 GTO just to let you know.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GH1086
First on my car, I don't have the STS oil return in the oil cap, there's an unused port on the valve cover that I use for that. Then I have a breather in place of the oil cap. Then I have driver's side routed to an AMW catch can mounted on the passenger side head. The catch can has a small breather attached to it as well. I then have the returns under the throttle body capped off. The PCV system is completely deleted. You just have to make sure that every time you start the car, the oil gets up to temp so it can burn off any moisture in it. Otherwise you will have a sludge problem. This is on an '04 GTO just to let you know.
Without a flow of filtered fresh air through the crankcase to remove the flashed off contaminates & harmful vapors, you will have sludge build-up & long term engine damage from the combustion by-products. Just venting as you describe only releases crankcase pressure & a small portion of the vapors (mainly water vapor) so when the motor cools down there is still a large amount re-condensing back into the crankcase. For a street driven car you must have a working, effective PCV system.....just needs to be properly designed.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Teching In

would a mechanical vacuum check valve work in place of the sts valve? i have one from another car that i think will work it allows vacuum to flow in only one direction anyone out there have any ideas about it?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you have some way of letting crankcase pressure release when boosting. So it's not trying to blow out the dipstick or seals.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

On the half dozen or so I've tuned on in the last year, I've put in a fitting back at the airfilter that generates the needed vacuum at WOT and done away with STS's PCV denial system that shuts off PCV under boost. I run the line from the turbo's inlet at the back to the front and draw off of both valve covers. Those lines run from the valve covers into a catch-can and then to the back as I mentioned. Some of the guys run a breather in the oil cap also (if they moved the return to the pan where it needs to be). This works well.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost do you have a pic how you got that one done it sounds interesting
Old 07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
FormerVendor

No pics. I just drilled or had the owners drill their piping between the air filter and turbo and ran a line to the front of the car for vacuum. I ran a 1/2" ID line to the front to a catch can. The other side of the can serviced the two valve covers. If I did on a car with the return in the cap, I'd likely make provisions to draw in two places off of the passenger side valve cover to keep from drawing a lot of oil into the can from the return side. Ideally, you will move your return to the pan.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
No pics. I just drilled or had the owners drill their piping between the air filter and turbo and ran a line to the front of the car for vacuum. I ran a 1/2" ID line to the front to a catch can. The other side of the can serviced the two valve covers. If I did on a car with the return in the cap, I'd likely make provisions to draw in two places off of the passenger side valve cover to keep from drawing a lot of oil into the can from the return side. Ideally, you will move your return to the pan.

This will provide vacume at boost & is a good addition. We do a variant that pulls at vac with a PCV check valve, and the intake source just after the air filter w/another PCV check valve so it cannot backflow to either & when at idle & low RPM's it pulls vac from the intake, and under boost that is shut off & it pulls from the main air filter.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Teching In

the way i was going to add the check valve was to just cut the pcv line from the pass side valve cover that goes to the throttle body and put it in there so that under boost it would basically shut that line off and under normal vacuum it would allow venting (i think basically the way the sts valve works only with no electronics) but from what you guys are saying tho, this will not work?

im not a complete idiot when it come to cars just new to boost and am having some major problems understanding how to get this to work correctly
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
the way i was going to add the check valve was to just cut the pcv line from the pass side valve cover that goes to the throttle body and put it in there so that under boost it would basically shut that line off and under normal vacuum it would allow venting (i think basically the way the sts valve works only with no electronics) but from what you guys are saying tho, this will not work?

im not a complete idiot when it come to cars just new to boost and am having some major problems understanding how to get this to work correctly

you will get NO evacuation of the cankcase when it is needed most if you go this route...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
you will get NO evacuation of the cankcase when it is needed most if you go this route...
Correct. On FI builds we almost always do away with the circuit to the TB and use a filtered breather either in the oil cap or remote mounted.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

so if i use one of these breathers and eliminate the line to the throttle body i'd be ok?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

after re reading your past articles im assuming i sound stupid with the question i just asked could someone please draw me out a diagram as to how this is supposed to be run because it sounds a little confusing

and where would i be able to get one of those breathers or is that a home made item?

and where would i get this catch can?

thanks for everyones help this is the final step i need to get finished before i can get my car tuned and im getting kinda anxious
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Schantin
Nice.... Unfotunately I've taught my wife too much about these cars....she knows exactly what a TrailBlazer SS is.......

Congrats on the little one too
Thanks man shes my little I keep my wife in the dark
Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by witry
sts the ss lol then shed kill you
your so right!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
after re reading your past articles im assuming i sound stupid with the question i just asked could someone please draw me out a diagram as to how this is supposed to be run because it sounds a little confusing

and where would i be able to get one of those breathers or is that a home made item?

and where would i get this catch can?

thanks for everyones help this is the final step i need to get finished before i can get my car tuned and im getting kinda anxious
You have two lines one on the T body one on the intake behind the throttle body mount where you hook up the cable. take those lines off where they mount. Find a catch can with a breather plugs those lines in it. cap off where the lines mounted in the stcok position. The only down side is you will have a hint of oil smell in the car. You can run a vacum source off the turbo or the intake. Just rember the vacume line has to be higher than the pcv lines. And the catch can has to have some sort of screen or baffel to catch the oil and the vapor will be suck out if you run a vacum line.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody have a diagram drawn up with the best system to use? I've read a lot about the PCV systems and I still get confused on the best way to hook it all up. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Who eliminated the STS PCV system and used a catch can?