LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   new d1sc build (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/949029-new-d1sc-build.html)

ZDOG 07-05-2008 10:41 AM

new d1sc build

well do to a bad score on a leakdown test(#7 was 35%) i have pulled the stock 17000 mile engine and tore it down. indeed # 7 was missing half a ringland at 8 psi.

after a few colorful words :bang:i decided to say screw it and do a new long block. im having LME build a stock displacement ls2. im reusing most my covers and crank. im going with : stock crank
manley rods
wiesco blower pistons
stainless chrome rings
ls7 lifters
melling oil pump
double roller timing chain
stock/cleaned 317 heads with patriot performance extreme spring kit
arp head bolts
trickflow pushrods
cam is down to 2 choices ill pick soon enough
9.5.1 compression
also picked up a text oz700 to go in.

this was my first time pulling a motor and tearing it down. i took it out the top and thought it was pretty easy to do,even in my tiny garage. the hardest part was the poly motor mounts!!! i still got some misc. stuff to pick up, you know the stuff that isnt that expensive but when your done is over a grand???
ill be doing the full install and new era will be doing the tune.

a ? for you procharger gurus.... if i had 8 psi on the stocker with a 4.5 d1sc pulley---what pulley do you think ill need to get 10-12 psi on a 365 with 317 heads?

just thought id share, no one i know really understands my obsession with tweaking and modifing cars. ill try to follow up with pics, i just hate resizing them!!!! :chug:

Jake@EPP 07-05-2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9680998)
well do to a bad score on a leakdown test(#7 was 35%) i have pulled the stock 17000 mile engine and tore it down. indeed # 7 was missing half a ringland at 8 psi.

after a few colorful words :bang:i decided to say screw it and do a new long block. im having LME build a stock displacement ls2. im reusing most my covers and crank. im going with : stock crank
manley rods
wiesco blower pistons
stainless chrome rings
ls7 lifters
melling oil pump
double roller timing chain
stock/cleaned 317 heads with patriot performance extreme spring kit
arp head bolts
trickflow pushrods
cam is down to 2 choices ill pick soon enough
9.5.1 compression
also picked up a text oz700 to go in.

this was my first time pulling a motor and tearing it down. i took it out the top and thought it was pretty easy to do,even in my tiny garage. the hardest part was the poly motor mounts!!! i still got some misc. stuff to pick up, you know the stuff that isnt that expensive but when your done is over a grand???
ill be doing the full install and new era will be doing the tune.

a ? for you procharger gurus.... if i had 8 psi on the stocker with a 4.5 d1sc pulley---what pulley do you think ill need to get 10-12 psi on a 365 with 317 heads?

just thought id share, no one i know really understands my obsession with tweaking and modifing cars. ill try to follow up with pics, i just hate resizing them!!!! :chug:

Try a 3.90 or 3.70 for that kind of boost. What kind of hp are you looking to make is the better questions, psi means nothing but restriction.

The 3.90 or even 4.13 will put you a little bit over 600 with stock heads.

ZDOG 07-05-2008 01:41 PM

im shooting for around 600-650 rwhp. i want to limit my psi to under 11 though just because i have the ati 4.5 twins and im not ready to cut the front to go fmi.

jake.... in your opinion out of these to cams which do you like better and why......
222/228 575 575 114 or
222/230 566 573 115+2

thanks

ps. do you stock those pullies? and when changing the pulley whats the safest way to lock the shaft so it doesnt spin?

Jake@EPP 07-05-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9681846)
im shooting for around 600-650 rwhp. i want to limit my psi to under 11 though just because i have the ati 4.5 twins and im not ready to cut the front to go fmi.

jake.... in your opinion out of these to cams which do you like better and why......
222/228 575 575 114 or
222/230 566 573 115+2

thanks

ps. do you stock those pullies? and when changing the pulley whats the safest way to lock the shaft so it doesnt spin?

Well if you have the twins, then you will need more of a efficent setup to make use of a certin impeller speed, the blowers will put out x amount of air at x rpm so depending on how fast will be somewhat on howmuch heat.

11 pounds should do about 625 or so. The twins are decent, but were not made for that amount of hp reliably. Your IAT's will tell the real story, i dont care what anyone says what there rated to.

We carry all pullies for the 8ribs and usualy have some 6 ribs. Honestly there isnt a way to lock it, use a impact gun to remove it, a belt wrench could lock it, but a impact is what ive used on every pulley swap. Use locktight as well.

As for the cam, bigger is USUALLY better, however ive seen some dang good combos. Are you dead set on those two cams? Ive seen a certin cam perform REALLY well on a stock headed motor, 226/230 600/600 113, hows 500rwhp on 4psi ? :)

ZDOG 07-05-2008 02:48 PM

well the car is 99% a street car. thats one of the reasons i went with a procharger as itll stay out of boost unless i put the hammer down. the odds of this thing ever seeing more than 3 back to back runs....itll probally never happen. also im looking not to have to change springs as routine maintenance, hence the lower lifts. im not against meth as little insurance just not planning on it unless its needed.
its not adrag car and ill never cage it. so im looking for something fun on the street that the wife could drive whenever she wants. hows the drivability of your above mentioned cam? how is it on springs?

so to change the pulley just an impact? cool. its an 8 rib by the way. maybe ill just order a 4" from you and go from there?

thanks

Jake@EPP 07-05-2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9682120)
well the car is 99% a street car. thats one of the reasons i went with a procharger as itll stay out of boost unless i put the hammer down. the odds of this thing ever seeing more than 3 back to back runs....itll probally never happen. also im looking not to have to change springs as routine maintenance, hence the lower lifts. im not against meth as little insurance just not planning on it unless its needed.
its not adrag car and ill never cage it. so im looking for something fun on the street that the wife could drive whenever she wants. hows the drivability of your above mentioned cam? how is it on springs?

so to change the pulley just an impact? cool. its an 8 rib by the way. maybe ill just order a 4" from you and go from there?

thanks

I wouldnt worry about the springs to be honest, run a set of patriot golds and your set. You will change the belt on the blower before you change the springs in comparision, some people have got well over 10k miles on a set of springs with a pretty agressive setup.

The drivability is great, it has plenty of off idle torque unlike larger cams. It also has a mild chop to it, so you can tell its cammed, but not too much. I liked the chop and the drivability, its easy to over cam a street car and many people do.

Tudds 07-05-2008 03:41 PM

How many #s were you running to kill your motor?

ZDOG 07-05-2008 03:54 PM

8psi.... lost 1/2 of number 7's ringland

BLNLS1/RX7 07-06-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9682433)
8psi.... lost 1/2 of number 7's ringland

Not that unusal.

ZDOG 07-06-2008 02:29 PM

after a leakdown it it was exactly what i expected to find. what i didnt expect was an unharmed block.

Jake@EPP 07-06-2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9686353)
after a leakdown it it was exactly what i expected to find. what i didnt expect was an unharmed block.

If you catch em in time you can have a good one, ive seen alot of both. Going bigger cubes is a advantage of a bad situation lol.

ZDOG 07-07-2008 03:51 PM

to bad its a pain in the balls to ship a block. to sell it is a bitch. i wouldnt mine learning to build a motor with it, i just dont have the room.

ZDOG 07-29-2008 07:43 PM

well just a update: should be less than a month to get my long block. been killing time painting the undercarriage and accessories. im now running my gage wires and will hopefully have that done and the guages installed.
talked to bob and ordered a 3.88 pulley and larger air filter(hopefully i can shoe horn it in with the twin ic's)

man the little stuff sure does add up. clutch kit, lt1 radiator, pulley, belt ,air filter, 3 rounds worth of oil and filters, trans fluid, ported throttle body, wideband, o2 bung, 3 guages, 3 pillar pod, t stat, aluminum ic pipe, silicone couplers, t-bolts , specialty tools for those certain things, ect...ect... on top of 6+ g's on the motor.

im scared to add it up, i believe it be cheaper to just to do crack!!!

but in the end.... i just miss my car, i sure hope all goes well and i get some cruising in before the snow flies here and not take out the tranny or rear....at least not till next spring!

EPP 07-30-2008 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ZDOG (Post 9830347)
talked to bob and ordered a 3.88 pulley and larger air filter(hopefully i can shoe horn it in with the twin ic's)

Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

ZDOG 08-01-2008 04:53 PM

thanks for the fast shipping bob!

ZDOG 08-19-2008 08:21 PM

just got the call today. should have the longblock in about 1 week!!!!!

ZDOG 09-03-2008 07:20 PM

just an update. got the long block from ups today and dropped it right in. (i dont know about pulling and installing the motor from the bottom but i found the top to be easy as hell) other than battling poly motor mounts.!!!!!!
so the l-block is in / power steering pump is mounted and im now doing the grounds.
2 morrow hopefully ill have the clutch and tranny in , and if im real lucky the intake manifold.
snapped some shots of it while being installed, just need to resize to post.

ZDOG 09-04-2008 08:18 PM

pics added

5 Attachment(s)
heres some of the block going in.

ZDOG 09-04-2008 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
a couple more. yes one is just the mount bolt, that was the biggest bear. 25 minutes to get the motor in the cradle and a hour and a half to got that damn bolt in. its a victory shot i guess.

EPP 09-05-2008 05:07 AM

Looking good! Bob