Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

317 heads with stock ls and some boost??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so u are saying that cam out of that 07 cts-v will be just fine... i thought it was close to my stock cam lol honestly thats the only thing that i have yet to figure out is the size of the ls6 cam and ls2 cam, and about the heads and intake matching. i never really thought about that.....

i would be more than happy with 500 wheel estatic with more than 550, and yeah i have come to the realization that im gonna need bigger injectors...

and tot think about a week ago i was just gonna run stock motor 6 PSI and leave her at that.... see how much a week does haha
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

so with all that said who wants to throw some numbers out there to the wheels she will put down? ?

12 PSI- high boost

8 psi low boost
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam choice is going to play a role in the numbers but since your a stalled auto I will say at 12psi you will be between 530-560 rwhp and on 8psi you will be around 460-480 rwhp. Im not sure on the specs of the ls2 cam but if you have access to one for cheap id go with it and make sure you get minimum comp 918 springs. I would suggest patriot gold dual springs though as an added measure of safety and if your going to run 12psi make sure you have meth/alky injection and def get the 60# injectors as they will allow for future growth. Good luck and keep us updated with the build!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Great thread. I am thinking about doing the same thing. I am actually wondering what the more experienced guys think a homemade turbo setup will cost realistically. To see if I wanna go turbo or just stick with heads/cam in my ls1/t56 rx7.

This is what I'm thinking of for my homemade turbo setup.

-Truck/C6/GTO Manifolds, ported by myself (the c6 manifolds sound best because they seem to improve spool time)

-2.5" hotside mandrel bent piping from ebay

-Tial 44mm wastegate (I'll try and find this one used on the forums/ebay and run it off the spring for now)

-Some bOV that gets the job done (probably a tial.. because those are the only ones I know to trust but they sound plain as hell unless your pushing like 40lbs of boost. I'll also try to find this on ebay/the forums used)

-coldside piping from ebay (alumininized steel) but dont know what size would be good to go with in case I want to max out the turbo.

-Obx/ebay intercooler sufficient for 800whp

-TC76 turbonetics turbo( dr.turbo highly recommends these for great power production ability and great spool charachteristics)

-Injectors (dont know what size I'de go with)

- Second walbro 255

-New hardlines (pretty much free)

-SD tune

- 3" down pipe

So what do you guys think the cost of this setup would be realistically (not including the drivetrain upgrades or the engine upgrades needed)? I have an exhaust guy who is puting together my true dual 3" for 150$ as long as I provide the materials. So he should be able to do the hotside + DP on this turbo kit for the same money or less and I can do the cold side. Let me know what you think. I just want to set my expectations correctly.

Also how much power do you guys think I could make with this turbo setup with the 317 heads ls6 cam and ls6 intake and new valve springs on the stock shortblock (what spring would I run in the wastegate too?) would 600whp be possible with a T56. This is a secondary car so if it breaks it just gives me a reason to go with a built bottom end.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

$$2500 maybe..just blow it up with everything stock. a stock motor will still make 500 through a t56 dont wast ur money on 317's and ls6. if it blows u'll prob need new heads again
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jason02Z
$$2500 maybe..just blow it up with everything stock. a stock motor will still make 500 through a t56 dont wast ur money on 317's and ls6. if it blows u'll prob need new heads again
Hey I noticed your on cape cod. My rx7 is located in Bourne. Wow thats cheaper than the heads/cam and probably less work. Yeah I'm not too concerned about blowing it up. I just hope if I blow it up it doesnt take the sleeve with it. So I can hone the block re-use the crank and throw some forged rods/pistons in it and crank it up to 800 whp. At that point though I think I'll be spinning tires to 100+ mph.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

well one of my friends made his own kit on his ls1 camaro a few years ago and endded up costing about that..and dont think it was stainless tho and used factory manifolds. if ur gonna re-use ur motor u might not want to blow it up most likely somthing bad will happen.. who blows it up at idle, u'll be wot sideways down the road lol that would be the most fun anyways haha.. yeh the capes awsome for fast cars too, u live close or on?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jason02Z
well one of my friends made his own kit on his ls1 camaro a few years ago and endded up costing about that..and dont think it was stainless tho and used factory manifolds. if ur gonna re-use ur motor u might not want to blow it up most likely somthing bad will happen.. who blows it up at idle, u'll be wot sideways down the road lol that would be the most fun anyways haha.. yeh the capes awsome for fast cars too, u live close or on?
Right now I live in Norwood, ma but the car is at my parents garage in Bourne on the cape side (a few miles from the bridge).

So how much power can you make with a completly stock longblock? The reason I was thinkin of going with the 317s is because they lower the compression a bit but your right if I blow it up, chances are the heads are going with it.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

u should be able to make 450-500..with just doing the heads it only lowers the compression dosnt realy add power because low compression on a stock motor is like 40 less hp so the extra boost ppl say u can run is the 40 hp u lost from the heads..unless u run decent cam for boost.. I'd say just wait on making max power on stock motor and build one later on. I put 317's on a few years ago and though that was the best way and didnt have the funds to get a cam.. trany/tuning tires got in the way. so im trying to get a motor together this winter and havnt pushed my motor to hard yet..
my e-gf used to live in norwood and has friends out that way.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

umm k
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

sry man wasnt paying attention
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

haha its all good im just messin round...

so get this i was talking to the guy that will be tuning my car and he said leave the car with stock heads dont mess around with the 317 heads its not gonna make a difference, he says a half of point drop in compresion isnt gonna make a difference and it will prolly blow up
Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

ok guys, i ran the 317 heads and a gt7 cam N/A for six months before i added the turbo, i picked up at least 30 wheel with that combo, the heads did not make me loose 40HP, i would love to see a dyno where a 340RWHP ls1 goes to 300RWHP when a higher flowing head is added that barley lowers compression by a point. the heads are definantly worth it
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

ok but are the heads worth puttin boost to with a stock bottom end? i personaly was goin with the ls6 cam
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

The heads will lower the compression so it wouldnt be optimal for an NA setup but as Josh said your not going to lose power. Plus, the drop in compression allows you to be able to run more boost on pump gas with less chance of detonation (if tuned right). Stock bottom end has been shown to hold 450-500 rwhp, but when your making that kind of power its a crap shoot. If you can afford to get the heads now then go for it but if its going to stress your budget you can always use your stock heads with the ls6 cam and single/dual valvesprings of your choice. Also, if you looking to have your stock bottom end survive for a little while id look into a meth/alky injection kit as a safe guard against detonation because when dealing with those power levels any detonation could easily grenade your engine.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
Great thread. I am thinking about doing the same thing. I am actually wondering what the more experienced guys think a homemade turbo setup will cost realistically. To see if I wanna go turbo or just stick with heads/cam in my ls1/t56 rx7.

This is what I'm thinking of for my homemade turbo setup.

-Truck/C6/GTO Manifolds, ported by myself (the c6 manifolds sound best because they seem to improve spool time)

-2.5" hotside mandrel bent piping from ebay

-Tial 44mm wastegate (I'll try and find this one used on the forums/ebay and run it off the spring for now)

-Some bOV that gets the job done (probably a tial.. because those are the only ones I know to trust but they sound plain as hell unless your pushing like 40lbs of boost. I'll also try to find this on ebay/the forums used)

-coldside piping from ebay (alumininized steel) but dont know what size would be good to go with in case I want to max out the turbo.

-Obx/ebay intercooler sufficient for 800whp

-TC76 turbonetics turbo( dr.turbo highly recommends these for great power production ability and great spool charachteristics)

-Injectors (dont know what size I'de go with)

- Second walbro 255

-New hardlines (pretty much free)

-SD tune

- 3" down pipe

So what do you guys think the cost of this setup would be realistically (not including the drivetrain upgrades or the engine upgrades needed)? I have an exhaust guy who is puting together my true dual 3" for 150$ as long as I provide the materials. So he should be able to do the hotside + DP on this turbo kit for the same money or less and I can do the cold side. Let me know what you think. I just want to set my expectations correctly.

Also how much power do you guys think I could make with this turbo setup with the 317 heads ls6 cam and ls6 intake and new valve springs on the stock shortblock (what spring would I run in the wastegate too?) would 600whp be possible with a T56. This is a secondary car so if it breaks it just gives me a reason to go with a built bottom end.

Thanks,
Josh
I am coming up with around 3500$ including the fuel and tune.

If I go with the 317 heads.. then it would be 300 for the heads, 150 for the ls6 cam, and 350 for the ls6 intake so add 800$

Would still like to know if I can hit 600whp on pump gas with the stock ls1 or with the heads/cam/intake above?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

so what just slap 6 psi on her and let her roll?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

so a new update on these 317 heads..... well i got them, got them home and the retards that me and my buddies are FAILED to look them over very well. so the one head were the manifolds bolt to was yanks on when it was hit and bulged the theads out and cracks it. a good freind of mine said that the cracks werent bad and they didnt hit the water jackets and that he could fix it and make it in terms stronger....( if u are in the maryland area and u want exhaust or welding done, tig mig anything u need let me know) hes pretty much god at it and can weld anything that can be welding let me know

so should i put these heads on still with them fixed ???? or just go buy another head

PS i got the set for 40 bucks
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Buy another head IMO. Your just looking for trouble and since they only cost you $40 then hopefully you can find another deal on them. I just wouldnt trust them when they are going to be on an FI setup. JMO.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

word if i can find just one i will

Quick Reply: 317 heads with stock ls and some boost??