Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402ci, GT5533r, 6 speed. BOV/wastegate ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 402ci, GT5533r, 6 speed. BOV/wastegate ?

402ci LS2,GARRET GT5533R(91mm) G-force 6 speed, 3.73 gear, street strip, highway robbery setup(full suspension car, moser rear)(F-body)

Looking for BOV and wastegate NEEDS for the best possible setup for safety and reliability. Talking to one shop, they recommend TWO BOV's and TWO 60mm wastegates. IS that excessive? or proper for insurance reasons(incase one of the two fail?)

More then likely it'll be TIAL products,...if that helps with recommendations. We're on a budget but,...we want to do it right. 4 digit BOOSTED LSx projects are new to me. Idea's/pics are appreciated.

-Jamie
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ......

1 60mm turbosmart and 2 56mm turbosmart BOV's all the way...call
www.forceinductions.com
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also suggest Turbosmart first, Tial 2nd, JGS 3rd. We carry all of them plus HKS, Blitz...etc. Just let us know what you need. Also whoever told you 2 60mm gates, has no idea what they are talking about. 1 60mm gate will hold a thumper to 7 psi base spring.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single 60mm Tial will be fine. Tial > turbosmart
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
Single 60mm Tial will be fine. Tial > turbosmart
Flow them on a bench......no comparison. Turbosmart flows a good bit more.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

DR.Turbo

I think they were just thinking insurance wise it would be the best thing to do. Incase one failed, which is possible, the other would be there to protect the turbo and the engine. They build turbo's for cars trapping 170-215mph,....I think they know what they are doing.

On that note,...they're curious to why you guys JET HOT COAT THE COLD SIDES of your turbos. I'm no pro but,..doesn't seem to make sense, considering the coating is designed to keep heat in,..not relieve. Wouldn't you want the coolest possible charge emmiting from the compressor? Wouldn't the coating retain heat?

Is it a jet hot coating?(aluminum suspended in resin)... I did my exhaust housings in the same black treatment you guys do. Just curious to why the compressor is done, other then looks.

Thanks.

...and on the note, I do run turbosmart gates on my car and the 7 psi springs aren't holding for ****,...which means that my 38mm gateS....are not enough(on my twin setup).
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
DR.Turbo

I think they were just thinking insurance wise it would be the best thing to do. Incase one failed, which is possible, the other would be there to protect the turbo and the engine. They build turbo's for cars trapping 170-215mph,....I think they know what they are doing.

On that note,...they're curious to why you guys JET HOT COAT THE COLD SIDES of your turbos. I'm no pro but,..doesn't seem to make sense, considering the coating is designed to keep heat in,..not relieve. Wouldn't you want the coolest possible charge emmiting from the compressor? Wouldn't the coating retain heat?

Is it a jet hot coating?(aluminum suspended in resin)... I did my exhaust housings in the same black treatment you guys do. Just curious to why the compressor is done, other then looks.

Thanks.

...and on the note, I do run turbosmart gates on my car and the 7 psi springs aren't holding for ****,...which means that my 38mm gateS....are not enough(on my twin setup).
That's because the COLD SIDE IS NOT JET HOT COATED....lol. Tell your guys they have alot to learn.

Also twin wastegates is not needed at all unless you just want to spend the money. A good tuner will tune both high side and low side of a map for such a failure (ala, dump fuel and pull timing). This is the way most of the big race cars are tuned....
Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
That's because the COLD SIDE IS NOT JET HOT COATED....lol. Tell your guys they have alot to learn.

Also twin wastegates is not needed at all unless you just want to spend the money. A good tuner will tune both high side and low side of a map for such a failure (ala, dump fuel and pull timing). This is the way most of the big race cars are tuned....

Ha.

Tell me more about the coating please. From what I know, theres a couple of different coatings, tempwise. The two style coatings, which is the jet hoat coating, which is the shiney appearing finish, and there is the black coating, which has a mild black sheen, or gloss finish to it. The black one from what I am told holds more heat. I dunno. I don't like chrome so I went with black regardless. If your coating isn't one of those, what is it? I am familar with some coatings by calico coatings....is it something from them?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Ha.

Tell me more about the coating please. From what I know, theres a couple of different coatings, tempwise. The two style coatings, which is the jet hoat coating, which is the shiney appearing finish, and there is the black coating, which has a mild black sheen, or gloss finish to it. The black one from what I am told holds more heat. I dunno. I don't like chrome so I went with black regardless. If your coating isn't one of those, what is it? I am familar with some coatings by calico coatings....is it something from them?
The compressor side coating is not coating at all. Its a high temp industrial powder coat. Used for the space industry and Navy.....very robust and damn near impossible to stain. Will not insulate heat though and will not take but up to 1000 degF so it can not be used on the exhaust side.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

BTW, if you want the ultimate hot side coating, you will want Swaintech. Its not cheap though very $$$. Comes in white I believe.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flow them on a bench......no comparison. Turbosmart flows a good bit more.
we have, it doesn't
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

The compressor side coating is not coating at all. Its a high temp industrial powder coat. Used for the space industry and Navy.....very robust and damn near impossible to stain. Will not insulate heat though and will not take but up to 1000 degF so it can not be used on the exhaust side.

Thanks, I didn't know.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TiAL
we have, it doesn't

Quick Reply: 402ci, GT5533r, 6 speed. BOV/wastegate ?