Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear main seal question and FI.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear main seal question and FI.

I have to put my ls1 back cover on my new 6. 0 engine. Can I just use existing seal car only has 12,000 miles on it.
I have read of the new seals having to be installed backwards to not leak in FI applications.
When did the new seals come out? So what rear seal and most of you fi guys running? Don't want to put this together and ruin my tex twin.

Should I go to other makes of rear seal?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have to put my ls1 back cover on my new 6. 0 engine. Can I just use existing seal car only has 12,000 miles on it.
I have read of the new seals having to be installed backwards to not leak in FI applications.
When did the new seals come out? So what rear seal and most of you fi guys running? Don't want to put this together and ruin my tex twin.

Should I go to other makes of rear seal?
I do not re-use the rear main seal. I use the gm OEM rear seal installed correctly & never had any leak at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Ive refitted the rear cover with OE seal installed many times.....damn, Ive wrecked too many engines

Never had any problems. If someone has told you to install it backwards, never listen to a word they say ever again.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok..I know you run high boost Stevie.
So Code 4 you mean the new gm main seals? And what do you mean by correctly ,with the tool? and someone said not flush but all the way in or something was the key?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok..I know you run high boost Stevie.
So Code 4 you mean the new gm main seals? And what do you mean by correctly ,with the tool? and someone said not flush but all the way in or something was the key?
Yes, I thought you were asking about the rear main seal. By correctly I mean not backwards. My wife can slip that seal right on with her nails. I have never used the kent moore tool or whatever it's called.

Just lightly tap new seal into the cover until it is fully seated then you have to get the inner seal to slip onto the crank while you are sliding the cover into place.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you installed the seal backwards it would leak anytime there was oil pressure and rotation, and worse under boost. Who came up with that pearl of wisdom?

Jim
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Came across a fair amount of posts from guy that swears its the answer in fi engines. Assume he is talking about the new seal.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Pfffff. I don't know what the hell people are doing to get the new seal to stay seated on applications that see ANY crankcase pressure. I personally believe it was a move to try to idiot proof installation.

Jim, you're thinking of the old style which would seat the seal into the crank harder with the crankcase pressurize... My PERSONAL experience is that the new seal (when installed as per instruction) blows up like a skirt in the wind even when well ventilated.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just me being a day late and a dollar short

Thanks,

Jim

Quick Reply: Rear main seal question and FI.