Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear main seal..more questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear main seal..more questions..

Ok might still just put my current 99 rear cover with the old design seal on my 408. The old seals seem to hold boost. Ordered a new rear seal but not too optimistic its going to work. Read the one guy put his on backwards and it works better but not 100% convinced to do that.
Was reading in this ls1 book I have that TKO? made a seal that works much better with boost. anyone know where can get this TKO. Guess W2W was the company using this rear main in the build in the book. And they also had tools to intall it. Where can I get these tools for the lowest price?

How many of you guys have the newer gm seal in your cars with problems. Course it might not be as noticeable in autos but don't want to kill my expensive tex twin before can do auto swap which might be a year or so down the road . When did gm go to the new rear main seals and is it just a matter of installing and seating it right? that tko sounds like cheap insurance.

Or may stick to my old seal as Stevie Turbo said he reused his many times and no problems at all.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We always run the new type seal with no problems.

Seems to me if you're running the new type seal and having a problem with leaking oil you need to just fix your crankcase pressure issue.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto
An efficient breather system is a must for a FI build, and a vacuum pump is even better!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok not having a problem since havent' installed it yet and not sure what to do about pcv system.APS has their instructions for the intall and I have a metco breather I can use.Is there any point running the ls6 valley cover? Do I have to do any further mods to run that and is it any better than the ls1 valley cover?

Car is street car so dont' want to go too racey on my breathing setup.
Trying to keep pcv if possible.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal..more questions..