LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Fueling & Injection (https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection-8/)
-   -   Can someone explain how the MSD boost a pump works (https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/1099171-can-someone-explain-how-msd-boost-pump-works.html)

mike13 04-11-2009 09:58 PM

Can someone explain how the MSD boost a pump works

How does it work, I know it increases voltage to the pump, the fuel pressure would stay the same with a increase in volume? Also wouldn't the voltage increase burn out the pump?

jsteele90 04-11-2009 10:34 PM

it just keeps the voltage constant. as opposed to the pump losing voltage under load because of weak factory wiring. this is a common mod in the DSM community to hardwire your fuel pump to the battery with heavier gauge wiring because the factory wiring was so shitty

mike13 04-11-2009 10:46 PM

I don't think that's exactly how it works, because it has a boost reference that ramps up voltage.

jsteele90 04-11-2009 10:56 PM

• Compensates for reduced voltage (lower pump output) when lights or other accessories are on.
• Maintains consistent pump output regardless of battery
voltage (down to 10 volts).
• Optimizes Air/Fuel Ratio and horsepower by matching
the engine fuel requirements.
• Quiet operation. Not NOISY like in line pumps.
• Improves gas mileage if vehicle now running on high idle fuel
pressure.
• Maintains stock fuel pressure at idle and part throttle.
• Controls WOT fuel pressure with return line shut off valves
(FMU,FSB).
• Maintains constant output voltage to pump within 1% from
10 to 12.5 battery voltage.
• Doesn't affect pump life.

mike13 04-11-2009 10:58 PM

Adding a turbo or supercharger to your engine is a great way to improve the power of your car. But you have to remember that when more air is being pushed into the engine, the need for additional fuel raises proportionally. Meeting these new fuel demands could mean larger injectors or ECU programming, both which can be pricey. This new Fuel Pump Booster is the economical (and easy) answer for your engine’s new fuel demands.

The Booster will supply the electric fuel pump with increased voltage in relation to the manifold boost pressure. As boost pressure increases in the manifold, the MSD Booster will increase the voltage to the electric fuel pump. The amount of voltage is adjustable with a potentiometer from a range of an additional 1.5 volts to a maximum output of 22 volts over a range of 5 – 30 psia.

jsteele90 04-11-2009 11:07 PM

awesome we can both copy and paste!!!!!!!:cheers:

mike13 04-11-2009 11:12 PM

I'm just trying to understand how it works. By increasing voltage do you keep the same fuel pressure but increase volume?

Magic Man 04-12-2009 11:14 AM

When you icrease the voltage to the pump the flow will increase and into a dead ended system the pressure would increase but since you are using more fuel and still have a regulator the pressure will stay within limits.

mike13 04-12-2009 11:37 AM

Since the regulator is in the tank the line pressure to the injectors would stay the same but the volume would increase to keep up with demand? So instead of the fuel pressure dropping when you max out the pump it would keep pressure within range? Is increasing voltage going to shorten the life of the pump or does it matter (within reason). Sorry for all the questions, the more info I research the less I understood how it works on our fuel system.

Magic Man 04-13-2009 01:22 AM

Our fuel pumps as I have read are rated to run with up to 16 volts with no ill effect on them and as to the rest it's yes.

William David Young 04-23-2018 05:17 PM

booster question

should the booster cycle with the pump or run continuously?

dlandsvZ28 04-24-2018 07:24 AM

On the fuel pump module assembly (99-2002) Fbody there is a bulkhead connector that must be upgraded to handle the additional amps required by larger capacity fuel pumps compared to stock.

So if you add a pump booster IMO it's all for naught if you don't upgrade the stock bulkhead connector, the intank wire harness to the pump, and the entire upgraded harness to the alternator. The stock wiring is the bottleneck or weak point because it's deficient in handling the increased voltage.

IMO talk to tech at Racetronix as to what items are needed to upgrade when installing a booster.

IMO a 340 Kit is a better solution and about equal in cost.