Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Trouble starting, runs great.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Trouble starting, runs great.

So I just had a random 0200 code appear then go away, but now I'm noticing that when I leave my car more that 30 minutes, it has a hard time starting, idles bad, then runs like a champ. I can cut it off immediately then fire it right back up.

What I'm thinking is whatever holds fuel pressure in the fuel rails when the car is off is not working or leaking. What is this part called and how do I change it?!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdick91
So I just had a random 0200 code appear then go away, but now I'm noticing that when I leave my car more that 30 minutes, it has a hard time starting, idles bad, then runs like a champ. I can cut it off immediately then fire it right back up.

What I'm thinking is whatever holds fuel pressure in the fuel rails when the car is off is not working or leaking. What is this part called and how do I change it?!
you might have a leaky injector. If you want to find out you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the rail to the manifold, lift it up and dry the bottom of each injector. Turn the key on and see if any are leaking. A drip is a leak and will bleed pressure off quickly
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

What are the chances of that? And the fuel pump is so new it's crazy. I just don't want to go through ANOTHER fuel pump...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

You say the fuel pump is new? So, I'm going to guess it's the hose in the tank that runs between the pump and the bulkhead is loose and when you cycle the key, the fuel is spewing out in the tank. Once the car is running, the pump is pushing enough fuel into the hard line to keep it running. Pull back the carpeting on the hump in the back above the fuel tank and put your ear to the metal and have someone cycle your key. If you can hear fuel splashing, that's your culprit.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think that is it. Since it made it so far/long with the new fuel pump. I mean the fuel pump is really really really new, but it was still driving a-ok for over 3 weeks.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

But, that would only lend itself to my theory. You put the hose on and as you drove it, the clamp slowly worked loose and the hose began to slide off. It's happened to many folks, including myself.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

OK, correction. Now once it starts (after priming the fuel system 6 or 7 times) it will start but the idle fluctuates some then once its up to operating temp (160*) it smooths out. Any more input? My fuel pump is under warranty (thank God) and my ECU, which was also just replaced. It did throw two codes again. P0200 (Injector circuit malfunction) and P1635 (5v reference circuit). Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

OK. I got a fuel pressure gauge and monitored it all day. It is EXACTLY where it should be. When the car is off, it never dips below 30PSI. Still extremely stumped...