Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to calculate compound pump volume/pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to calculate compound pump volume/pressure

Hey Guys,

How do you calculate the HP support of a in series dual pump setup? I picked up a couple slightly used Bosch 044's and currently am running a Walbro 255lph intank and an Alky twin nozzle Meth system. I'll be using a Aeromotive 13101 FPR with a -6An return line and keeping the factory returnless fuel rail.

I'm considering a few options for a 900 RWHP fuel system and one of them is keeping the 255 intank and adding one of the 044's inline. How do you calculate the lbs per hr (and convert it to supported HP) for a compound in series system?

The other two options I'm contemplating are running the walbro and using two inline (one triggered by a HOBBS switch) instead of just one 044 spliced into the stock fuel line. The 2nd option is running the 255 to a 2l surge tank under the hood feeding two 044's (again one triggered by a HOBBS switch).

Advice?

Rick
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
How do you calculate the lbs per hr (and convert it to supported HP) for a compound in series system?
From what I can gather from this chart, the Walbro pumps about 235lph at 58psi (2005 tank with internal fuel pressure regulator) and the Bosch 044 without being force-fed by another pump puts out around 270lph at 65psi (65 is the psi I'm planning on running with the Aeromotive FPR). What is the compound lph with the Walbro feeding the Bosch?

Rick
Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Banned

If u put them in line they will only flow as well as smallest in the line. So if your walbro is flowing 235lph, thats all wour system will ever flow. The only way to get more out of it is to put them both in the tank and Y them together. I Wasted 2 days figuring this out on my own. Good luck with the build I hope i saved u some time
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This setup is for a C5 but it will give you an idea of how to set it up properly.I would run the 044s side by side.
Good luck.

http://www.aacorvette.com/pdf/aa_fue...structions.pdf
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

These pics show how to plumb the 044s.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...el-system.html
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Our dual intank walbro systems make well over 1000rwhp and they are quiet and 100%reliable internal. give me a call I will help you figure out the system that is right for your application.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
...How do you calculate the HP support of a in series dual pump setup?...
I'm not a calculator, I'm a seemer. And it seems to me that you should be able uprate the intank pump to whatever the manufacturer rates it at 0 psi. So in my scenario the inline would help the intank by eliminating the head of the intank, to put it in pump terms. There has to be some kind of easing of the work load for the inline, but I can't imagine how much. I also can't imagine that a series setup like this won't work, because it made a big difference puting an inline on my truck, although it still was inadequate. I think it added about 10 psi during my fuel starvation where I needed 20 more.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have all the flow charts for the pumps at low pressures (where you ned the data), to give you the flow calcs, but from seeing (& replacing) these inline setups, typically you can pick up about 10% flow over the worst flowing pump.

The series pumps are a good way to boost pressure as in systems using fuel management units to boost pressure under boost, but series pumps are not that good at boosting flow at the pumps rated pressure.

example as stated above, you can flow maybe 10% more at 58psi, but if you are trying to run 75psi, then the series pumps helps more in this situation.

If you are looking for a 900rwhp setup, this is not the way to get there.

If you are interested in a dual intank setup, plase contact me. I offer a proven setup with no experimentation required, that will easily support your performance needs.