Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

No fuel pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No fuel pressure???

My car ran fine on the way to work yesterday, but I went to crank it up to move it inside and it tried to start but then died. Since then it does nothing but turn over with no signs of starting. I have no pressure at the fuel rail, but I can hear my Walbro come on when I turn the key on. I've had the pump for years but I'm wondering do they normally still make noise when they fail? I don't believe it could be the filter since I had no issues prior to this. Any ideas?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this: disconnect the feed line at the filter and turn your key to run (you'll need a container, like a small gas can). Put the line in the container enough so you can see if fuel is coming out... it should be flowing like a hard **** If it's not, then you probably have either a bad hose connection between the fuel pump and sending unit, faulty regulator, or jacked up intank fuel filter. If it's flowing, then reconnect the line to the fuel filter and disconnect the other end of the filter and repeat. No fuel or shitty flow, bad filter. Good flow, move on to the final test. Disconnect the line at the fuel rail itself and repeat. If it's still flowing the same but you got no pressure at the rails, then your problem is in the tank.... same exact problem I'm having right now. I'm not a fuel expert or anything but hopefully this will point you in the right direction and help out a bit. Good luck with it man
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A Str8 Up G
Try this: disconnect the feed line at the filter and turn your key to run (you'll need a container, like a small gas can). Put the line in the container enough so you can see if fuel is coming out... it should be flowing like a hard **** If it's not, then you probably have either a bad hose connection between the fuel pump and sending unit, faulty regulator, or jacked up intank fuel filter. If it's flowing, then reconnect the line to the fuel filter and disconnect the other end of the filter and repeat. No fuel or shitty flow, bad filter. Good flow, move on to the final test. Disconnect the line at the fuel rail itself and repeat. If it's still flowing the same but you got no pressure at the rails, then your problem is in the tank.... same exact problem I'm having right now. I'm not a fuel expert or anything but hopefully this will point you in the right direction and help out a bit. Good luck with it man
I was thinking along the same lines, but it turned out to be a busted line in the tank. I guess it was a good excuse to go to dual pumps. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, that's exactly what mine turned out to be too..... and guess what I'm about to do........