Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Return line back into fuel supply line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Return line back into fuel supply line?

This may be a bit of a stupid one. I am sort of new to the whole LS swap idea, and I have found that in many of the retro swaps having a port on the fuel tank is an issue as the factory fuel tanks just had a supply and vent line. So guys have either swapped in different tanks or senders.

So what I am wondering is if rather than returning the unused fuel back to the tank if it is at all possible to tee it back into the supply lines? I don't recall seeing it done so I was wondering what exactly I am overlooking? Is the return line under high enough pressure to cause issues?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

That is just an overcomplicated redundant design or a returnless type system I would think.

Just think. You have your pressure side. Then you have your regulated return side. If you take that regulated return side and tee it into the pressure side, the pressure side is going to equalize on the return side thus making your regulator useless and equal pressure on both sides.

With that pointless regulator the fuel wont be regulated either.

Riiggghhhhtttt?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I failed to specify but when I am speaking of teeing the fuel return into the supply, I mean supply line to the pump itself, not the pressure regulated supply to the engine.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Nope..

Originally Posted by LSXGMC
I failed to specify but when I am speaking of teeing the fuel return into the supply, I mean supply line to the pump itself, not the pressure regulated supply to the engine.
That would circulate heated fuel into the pump....
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just add necessary bungs to tank and dont burn up your stuff based on unhealthy logic.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Ok, fuel being heated while passing through the pump makes sense. FWIW, I had no intentions of doing this.....I had plans to relocate the fuel tank to the box of my truck long before the swap came into the picture.

Quick Reply: Return line back into fuel supply line?