Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

ptfe fuel line conductive vs. non-conductive

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Default ptfe fuel line conductive vs. non-conductive

Seems like guys have been using the non-conductive stuff for years, but with the concerns for static discharge everyone seems to push the conductive stuff. Where is a good source for the conductive stuff with a good line of fittings? I've seen some of the big name stuff, but it seems like this stuff can be found in a lot of other places. Not all of the manufactures state is it's conductive or not so it gets old looking at them all and not have good pictures of the inner liner color, etc.

Aveation guys have been using the conductive ptfe stuff for years so I figure they would be a good place to start. I'm sure since it's for aircraft it's not cheap either.

I've seen some of the cheaper stuff that non-conductive (white), but just don't really trust it. I've looked at using pushlock stuff, but I'm sure there are fuel smell/deteration issues with that also.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pegasus Auto Racing sells Goodridge lines and fittings...I've used them, and they worked well. I'm not certain, but Lonnie's Performance might carry the line and fittings as well...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my humble opinion, not knowing your full set up, I would not worry about conductive lines, more than likely the entire system is not conductive or grounded properly anyway for it to make a difference. Even new car fuel system designs don't necessarily get everything grounded properly, and they can't test it well enough to know any better, so they just do everything they know of/can and cross their fingers in most cases...scary but true
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well it's going into a c5 vette with the dual tank setup. Running two pumps in drivers tank using the factory outlet for the main pump to feed the jet pump and converting that outlet to a -6 an at the factory filter location. Other pump will have a welded fitting to sending unit plate for -6 outlet to the new ptfe line (this pump will run off a hobbs). These two -6 an fittings will Y into a -8 line near the factory filter location, to a fuel lab filter and up to the engine.

I'm using the factory 3/8 hardline for a return with either extra gates fuel injection line or fittings with the teflon hose to get back to the tank.

The factory sending units pump positive and negative will be converted to both positive and feed each pump seperate power. Sending units on these cars are at the bottom of the tank so adding new wires can be a pain. Using both pins of the factory connector will keep current below pin max. Sending unit plate will be used to join the pump grounds inside the tank then to chassis ground outside the tank.

Seems like the lines would have a good connection to ground at the sending unit plate through the fittings I guess. I just don't want to be rebuilding this thing in a few years, etc. Can't really deal with the fuel amell either. Might just go with the techafx stuff as there doesn't seem to be much alternative. I need to check with lonnies also.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All fuel based components that are not completely submerged in fuel should be conductive.

The theory is that the friction of fuel moving through the line causes a static buildup. This static will attempt to seek a ground, which can either be the car body, or the outer braiding of the line. This static, will form an arc which can effectively burn through the line, causing a fire.

By making the line conductive, it will continuously dissipate static instead of building up.

I stock the conductive PTFE. It is the only manufacturer recommended line for use with fuel. You do not go cheap on something that can kill you.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Since you don't list it on the website, do you have black fittings? Just curious as the options you have in stock. I can call Monday or update this thread when you have time. Just curious as to what the fittings and line look like in -6 and -8 size.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Currently I do not have black.
Please call to discuss in more detail.

I am open weekends as well

Quick Reply: ptfe fuel line conductive vs. non-conductive