Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

feedback for Racetronix

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default feedback for Racetronix

I installed the F-98 factory upgrade fuel pump from Racetronix in my 98 TA recently and wanted to comment on some things. The full color instructions were great! A picture really does say a thousand words. But...when I came to fastening on the filter sock, I hit a snag. The little nub and locking ring did not match up in that the ring was hitting the collar and not sliding over the nub at all. After many attempts to force it on, I ended up breaking the filter sock collar off. I was able to use a soldering iron to melt it back together, but wasn't impressed at all with this fit and finish. I did call their tech support line, but he offered no solutions. Please check the fit up of the F-98 filter sock and locking ring with the pump intake...it ain't right! Hope they don't pull this post cause I'm just trying to be helpful.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbee
I installed the F-98 factory upgrade fuel pump from Racetronix in my 98 TA recently and wanted to comment on some things. The full color instructions were great! A picture really does say a thousand words. But...when I came to fastening on the filter sock, I hit a snag. The little nub and locking ring did not match up in that the ring was hitting the collar and not sliding over the nub at all. After many attempts to force it on, I ended up breaking the filter sock collar off. I was able to use a soldering iron to melt it back together, but wasn't impressed at all with this fit and finish. I did call their tech support line, but he offered no solutions. Please check the fit up of the F-98 filter sock and locking ring with the pump intake...it ain't right! Hope they don't pull this post cause I'm just trying to be helpful.
We have sold 1000's of these systems w/o this problem.
Our support is available on our forum 24/7 to confirmed customers.
You could have posted pictures for our techs to review.
Painting a verbal picture over the phone is next to impossible.

Cheers

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Yeah, i should have snapped a pic but was focused on getting the car up and running again. I noticed last night that the pump started whining much more all of the sudden with full tank. I only have about 600 miles on this new pump and never run tank low. Maybe i made a mistake not using an OEM pump.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

I have installed several of the Racetronix 98 pumps, never had an issue at all,everything fit perfect and sounded stock in the tank.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Well, I'm glad your's worked out. Fingers crossed that i don't have to call AAA anytime soon either. It didnt whine this morning so its intermittant noise, but also only a short trip. Time will tell i guess.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Fingers crossed that i don't have to call AAA anytime soon either.
Not the same pump I had issues with but I had to be AAA 3 times for my wife in her 94 Impala SS. Once, 210 miles to Nashville. Good thing I have a Duramax Dually.

After 2 pumps and months of problems....No more...it went in the scrap metal pile. Just my personal dealings and opinion.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

99.9% of the time, it comes down to installer skill and the operating environment. All too often people are quick to blame the pump b/c they lack the skill, equipment or patience to diagnose a fuel problem.

Our support forum contains much information that will allow a customer to properly diagnose and fix fuel related problems. Anybody who goes through multiple pumps from different manufacturing runs must really ask himself (or herself) what has changed in their installation procedure or operating environment to cause it.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

when we did the swap on my 98 camaro, the sock went on alright, but we are sorting out a noisy racetronix pump. no blame is being thrown the way of racetronix yet as this has been an overly complicated build. and over the next 2 days i am hoping to see if some basic work solves the issues at hand...
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
sounded stock in the tank.
The one I put in my 99' doesn't sound stock, when I turn the key to on I can hear the pump kick on & prime before I bump it over. Its a typical aftermarket fuel pump sound though. I was surprised at how good the instructions were & how easily it all went together.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Teching In

One would expect the performance version of these pumps to be louder. Plus, the added need for the hotwire harness for more voltage. I went with the factory upgrade version so didnt expect to need more voltage and no plans to build up motor. Just looking for a lower cost alternative to oem. You get what ya pay for i guess
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I def had to force it on. but it went on no probs. It did not pop or lock in, but it was on. i smacked it against the table.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

One would expect the performance version of these pumps to be louder. Plus, the added need for the hotwire harness for more voltage. I went with the factory upgrade version so didnt expect to need more voltage and no plans to build up motor. Just looking for a lower cost alternative to oem. You get what ya pay for i guess

It's relative to the design of the pump not the cost.
Gearotor vs. vane vs. turbine.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Racetronix;16190757]99.9% of the time, it comes down to installer skill and the operating environment. All too often people are quick to blame the pump b/c they lack the skill, equipment or patience to diagnose a fuel problem.QUOTE]

+1 all the way.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Launching!

I just did the install of the pump and hot wire harness on my 1998 T/A and i will agree in the directions they make putting that little ring on the sock easy but there is just no room to get a socket on it to push it on. Something that should have take a few seconds took about 30 minutes to try and get that ring on the sock. Other than that it went in great, I did however break the bracket that holds the float getting the old pump out of the tank, I used some plastic bond epoxy and I just hope it holds up in the tank. I havent had a chance to see if there are any issues since my car is in pieces but I plan to wire it up to the alternator tonight and hook up the battery to see if I can hear it prime up.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im having my share of trouble with a racetronix pump, one problem obiously not the pump but the other one is that I have to prime the pump at least twice to get my car started here is my thread if someone could input me some info

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...ore-after.html
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by needtransam
Im having my share of trouble with a racetronix pump, one problem obiously not the pump but the other one is that I have to prime the pump at least twice to get my car started here is my thread if someone could input me some info

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...ore-after.html
Did you look for help on our support forum?
There are common items which can cause your problem.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the response racetronix and sorry for hijacking your thread OP, can you guide me were theirs the support forum?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how did you guys get the lock pin on the 98's. Im having the same issue..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I just kept forcing the nutdriver socket until it popped on, but as i said the filter sock broke off at the collar when it did finally go. I also sliced open my thumb at the same time cause the nut driver slipped. Not impressed at all. Good luck with your locking ring. My last resort was gonna be to look for a larger ring at the hardware store.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, i should have snapped a pic but was focused on getting the car up and running again.
Fingers crossed that i don't have to call AAA anytime soon either.
This is a reminder of why you don't mod your DD. I realize your car is stock but just something to think about in the future.

I installed a 99+ system and it went very well. Kit seemed top notch for the price. It's pretty darn quiet also.

Quick Reply: feedback for Racetronix