Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car trouble. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car trouble. Help please

I'm inclined to think my problem is fuel related, but not sure.

After running the car hard, and more specifically after the last few times I sprayed the car, it doesn't want to start after I shut it off. I won't be spraying again until I fix the problem but I'm not sure where to look. When trying to start the car back up, it cranks, but won't fire. It's eventually started every time but it takes a long time and several attempts. It has done it once on a cold start but 9 times out of 10 it's after running the car hard.

After the car is running again, it seems to be doing fine. No fuel cuts in acceleration or anything like that.

I've picked up a new fuel filter and will be replacing it but I don't expect it to be my problem. It needs replaced anyways. I'll then be checking fuel pressure at the rail and will post my results. Any input from anyone with similar issuers or ideas of where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Replaced filter, which was in pretty bad shape. Car drove and started well for about a week. Yesterday on my way home from work, the fuel cut out on the interstate and I had to pull off the road. Car wouldnt start back after several tries. Car finally started and i got it home, put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and got 0 psi 90% of the time i keyed the switch. I had thought that the fuel pump had went out on me after i had been running it with an old filter that was hard to blow through, but with it being intermittent like it is, I'm still looking for the problem. I plan to swap or replace the relay this evening, and if that doesnt help, it looks like i'll be cutting a trap door to bet a multimeter on the fuel pump harness. If there was a way i could confirm the problem is the pump, i'd just order one, but i'm not convinced.

I have heard that a fuel pump going out can me intermittent like that, but if someone could confirm that for me, that would be great.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Car trouble. Help please