Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Nasty Twin in Tank system issue

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty Twin in Tank system issue

I own a 02 TA with a built LS2 with procharger putting down 628 rwhp. I was on the Hot Rod Power Tour last week doing the long haul from Detriot to Arlington TX. Coming out of Madison IL my Fuel pressure started to steadily drop to 40 lbs and would drop 10 - 15 lbs under mild acceleration. One of the guys in the group ownes his own shop and did a few test and we determined the problem had to be in the tank. Pulled into Joplin Mo and had a shop pull the tank and we found both rubber lines coming off both the pumps had split. I called Nate of Nasty Nates for some technical advice but he never returned my call. Shop said the lines used were crap and put a heavey duty trans line on to replace. $289 and 4 hours later I was back on the road on my way to Stillwater OK. I am still having a problem with a pressure drop (up to 10 lbs)during acceleration; light, mild or heavy and now thing the regulator is going bad. This system has been in the car less than one year and has less than 2,000 miles on it prior to the problem. My advise if you are planning on upgrading your f-body fuel system is to stay away from Nates system. Can anyone confirm or support my thought about the regulator now going bad since I cannot hold pressure during acceleration? And no it is not leaking gas anywhere external.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could have gotten crud in the lines from the deteriorating fuel lines, change the filter.
This OEM type hose is the only hose to use in tank.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I was going to clean the filter. I forgot to mention in my first post that when I turn the key on and the pumps prime my pressure will jump to 60 lbs and then rapidily bleed down to 0 within 4-5 seconds. I know the filter would not cause that but I am not sure if I still have a problem in the tank or the regulator is not holding the pressure and returning it to the tank in the return line.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Racetronix one the same one Lonnie's sells assembled? Are the rubber hoses that deteriorated the two short ones that go from each pump to the T fitting?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Yes, to all your questions. That is exactly the ones.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

I found the cause of the pressure drop during acceleration. I pulled the regulator and tore it down and found a small peice of rubber in the gauge pressure port and I assume under acceleration the rubber was blocking the guage sensor. Pressure is fine now. Still, no excuse for the the twin Lonnies intank pump lines to blow. If the trans lines don't hold I will put the Racetronics line on. Now on to Procharger - after a rebuild last year it is blowing oil all over the place with less than 3,000 miles on it. Sure they will be stand up guys and back their work. LOL. The guys said it only had a 30 day warrenty on the rebuild. Told him I could rebuild something that could last 30 days.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry We were out all weekend I will certainly figure out what went wrong. I have never had a single issue with one of Lonnies dual pump assemblies. Put a call in with lonnie to see what could have gone wrong. Sorry man
Old 06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have called me....
Sorry you had problems.

As for the intank lines, it is not something I have problems with.
I have kits in use for over 6 years now with the same hoses.

You kit is over a year old, but it should not be deteriorated.

You should use a good submersible fuel line (available at any good parts store), not trans cooler hose.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Well, I called Nate since he was the one I bought the kit from plus I was on the road with the Power Tour with limited access to internet in Joplin MO. We got it fixed at a Trans shop who was nice enough to get me in right a way. Not going to complain about what hose they put in since they got me back on the road. I sent Nate a Pic of the two hoses that split right down the middle. I installed the pump in July 2011 drove it for 3 months for about 500 miles tore the car down for the winter to put a new motor in and got it running again in late March. I put another 1500 prior to the tour to shake out any issues and the lines busted on day 3 of the tour. Read a few post about people having the same problem but not saying they are your setup but seems to be something that is common on this board.So my situation now is that I obviously have a temporary fix with the trans hose so what are we going to do about a permanent fix?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Also to add, when I turn the key on and the pump primes it does not hold pressure and drops back to zero after about 5 seconds. Doesn't sound right to me. I would think it would leak down slowly over 30 - 40 minutes not 5 seconds.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the intank connections, the regulator, or an injector is bleeding of the pressure.

As for the lines, I have built 1000's of these kits & I had only had a few hose failures over the years. This is not a common issue with my kits. If it was a problem, I would have changed things a long time ago. It is possible that you got a bad section of hose, but it all comes from the same batch.

What base pressure are you running?
Boost referenced?

Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I am running 59 lbs base pressure with boost reference to kick on the second pump under boost. I do not see any sign of a gas leak but do smell gas fumes in the garage after the car has been parked for a while. I will give you a call to talk thru this issue.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Lonnie for the response.

Search this Thread