Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Carb as a throttle body??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb as a throttle body??? HELP

Hope this is the right placement for this. I would like to use two 4160 style carbs inline on a manifold to simulate the old school look, but the unit would actually be MPFI. I have the carbs, the tps and an IAC. I know its more work but I'm after a certain look for my old car so I'm willing to go the extra mile to get this day two effect on my car. What would be the downfalls or trouble spots of this setup? If anyone has pics or has tried this please drop me a line or post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks Jeff
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Come on nobody came even throw their two cents in on this project. I thought thats what forums are for.....help
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

I know they make a dual quad carb intake for a ls1. The only major issues I see with it is the linkage might be tricky. What throttle body u using like the fast system? Msd system? If something like that you would have to figure out how to get both self contained efi set ups to work as one with out over fueling the motor. Then again I could be wrong just my. 02
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theoretically you could remove the boosters from the carbs for less restriction & run 8 injectors on separate fuel rails for the port EFI benefits. I would not think getting the injectors to work inside the carb would be easy.

You could fab up the TPS mount easily
They make separate IAC motors which attach inline to a vacuum port in the plenum.

Here is one already built.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 08-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without knowing what your access to machine shop tools is like, and how close you want the look, its hard to say

you can either hide the injectors in the float bowls, or in the air cleaner to end up with something like tbi, you can try hiding them on the bottom between the manifold and valley cover, or just leave them out in the open
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Default Carb as a AIR VALVE

I guess I should have been more specific.. The carbs will be inline 4160 style with the boosters removed. The bottom part of the manifold will have the injector bungs. With the hood closed it looks like carbs until the hood is opened to reveal a 600hp LS1 L92 combo. Have everything just wondering about any problems I haven't thought of. What computer does everyone suggest. Any other input would be appreciated
Jeff