Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?

So heres how it went down its started a few months ago from time to time at stop light the rpms would drop to like 500 and then jump back up and everything was back to normal..... Well i was driving friday morning to get the rear output shaft seal and metal ring that goes inside replaced (its a t56), so about a 2 miles before i am suppossed my baby started to stutter so i pushed the clutch thinking it was slipping luckily i thought i am headed to transmission shop so if the clutch went out theyll swap it out well about a mile before get to my destination and having to open full throttle to keep her going she completly shuts off so at that point i figured it wasnt the clutch. so i get it towed back to my house and got get a fuel pressure tester.

here is where i need help at, i didnt remove any fuses or relay, I just connected the fuel pressure valve to the car and tested it from here
pic and the reading i got from ignition on but car not running was like 20 psi and drop a little like in pic. i started the car and psi didnt go over 30 psi and it stumbled to stay on and died out after like 20 seconds then after that car doesnt turn on, only if i leave it alone for like a day charge up the battery cuz it dies after so many attempts at staring the car. i assume its the fuel pump because if it was relay it would start at all so i wouldnt get any pressure at all? any help greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-pic-2.jpg   1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-pic1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The photos are so small can't see any thing.
As for low pressure. May be internal leak with hoses in fuel pump module.
especially if any work has been done on the fuel pump.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Teching In

sorry i am having trouble posting bigger pictures they seem to be too big or something after i press upload and it keeps saying http error 500 ????? so should i assume it is okay to replace the whole fuel pump assembly and make the trap door, oh in case you couldn't see i tested it by the front of the next to the throttle body theres a valve right there. also is there a procedure to test it or just connect and turn key check values and next try to turn on engine then check values?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Also if it helps I think this is the original fuel pump because most of the parts I have replaced have been original
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joejmata
sorry i am having trouble posting bigger pictures they seem to be too big or something after i press upload and it keeps saying http error 500 ?????
1.Up load the photo to Paint.
2.Open Re-size window.
3. reduce photo by 50%
4. Click Save As, JPEG. name the photo and save in my pictures.
5. The reduced photo will up load it to the post.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-resize-photo-paint.jpg   1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-resize-photo.jpg   1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-photo-reduced-50-.jpg   1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-save-jpeg.jpg  

Last edited by Ollie8974; 11-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could be a clogged fuel filter. I'd start there before replacing the pump
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Default pics....

sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys hopefully i got this resize correct, and i also changed the fuel filter i also created the trap door already luckily i didnt blow myself up.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-camaro-2.jpg   1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?-camaro-4.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

thanks ollie for the help on resizing the pic

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro SS Fuel Pump?