Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

drop fuel tank or cut "trap door" for fuel pump swap

Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop fuel tank or cut "trap door" for fuel pump swap

installing a racetronix kit with hardwire on a 02 fbody ws6 just wondering who out there has replaced thier fuel pumps, ive heard of a lot of people that just pulled their trunk carpet and cut a hole in the floor to drop the new pump in through the top of the tank to avoid taking the time to drop it and being able to get to it quickly if need be in the future...whats everyone's opinion on this, anyone have any tips or advise? are there any good how-to write ups with pictures? thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

That to be is half assed. I would NEVER do that to my own car, but each to his own. I've done mine 2 times, once for the fuel pump and once to fix a leaky filler neck. It really isn't bad at all, just takes a while. The only thing that would suck is removing the tank if it has gas in it. Other than that, its a pretty easy but time consuming job. I removed my rear end both times and that made it pretty easy to work under there.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just drop the tank. Make sure you have less than 1/4 tank of fuel to make it easier. And plus, without the tank there makes it easier to run the Hotwire kit. That's my opinion, and I have done it this way multiple times.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step by step
While on jack stands and supporting rear with jack
Unbolt the metal strap under the car that is under the back seat on the drivers side that holds all the lines in place
Disconnect the feed from the filter, the return, and the EVAP line
Pull back wheels off
Undo sway bar links
Unbolt top shock mounts from inside cabbin
Undo the drivers side of the upper pan hard bar
Take off all the heat shielding
Open gas fill flap and take off the 2 screws holding the plastic cup in place
ReCh into where that plastic cup was and there is a single 10mm bolt holding the fill splint in place
Lower the rearend down now
I do the 2 straps that hold the tank in place, it's just 2 long bolts and u may have to bend the straps a bit to get them out of place
The tank should fall down and possibly out now, u may have to reach in and push the fill spout out.
Now your tank is out
I forget anything guys?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Cutting the hole is so simple and if you do a neat job It won't hurt anything. I've done a bunch. I'd never drop that tank unless it needed replacement.

You realize most all cars EXCEPT GM have access panels for the fuel pumps?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

its honestly not that bad, i didnt want to cut into my car like that so i dropped it out and it just took an afternoon. Probably would have been faster had i dripped the rear end all the way out but i was trying to do it with the sway bar still attached and with factory exhaust... turned into a little PITA, but still only like 4 hours
Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, I'm surprised.. I thought there would be more people that cut the trap door, we're dropping the entire motor/kmember to rebuild my top end so the exhaust/driveshaft etc is already going to be out... Maybe it'd be smarter to just drop the tank idk yet
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cut the trap door in mine, installed a nice threaded bolt locking setup and a piano hinge for easy access... Carpet over it and no one has a clue

Glad I did as I had pump problems down the road and needed access to test things repeatedly, dropping the tank each time... no thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

You will want to clean out the tank prob reason the pump failed in the first place.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Another vote for dropping the tank. I did it 3 times in my Z, first was to replace a dead pump when I first got it, second when that pump failed a year later because of dirt in the gas tank that I didn't clean out the first time. The last time was a few weeks ago when installing a new gas tank. It was somewhat easy but time consuming. I wouldn't hack up my car like that but I guess if the car is a race car and is cut up already it wouldn't make a difference. Plus if your not careful cutting the access panel you could cut lines or even the tank. I bet many folks who have done the panel mod that cut the lines or tank never say anything on the forum to avoid embarrasment. Just my .02
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Cut the trap door. Plenty of super clean and neat ways to make the panel.

I broke down on the side of the road because of a fuel pump issue once. Fixed it right there and kept going.,,, No tow, No dropping the tank.

In my opinion if its done right and its not a numbers matching 69 camaro 1 of 10, then cut the door and make a real nice access panel.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I completely disagree with the "hacking up"... But to each their own

I cleaned my tank from the trap door... you have the same access hole to inside the tank in/out of the car.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

what did your tank look like when you say you didnt clean it? i drained pretty much all the fuel out of my take and shined a light in and looked around and felt in there by hand and couldnt find any dirt/sediment so i just installed the new pump and kept going. I figured have 180k miles it would be a mess in there
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut my sons 4 door blazer floor. Adjusted seat forward,sliced carpet and made a trap door. It is a 98 and its in good condition but the fill pipes were rusted and it had 3/4 tank of course. GM should of made trap doors for their fuel pumps but I would drop the tank.

Last edited by Modchevelle; 03-14-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the trap door method myself. Very easy, and if done right there is no harm to the structure or integrety of the car
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Now all the trap door guys are showing up haha...are there any good how-to write ups with pics or do you guys have any pics of your set ups?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darkstar632
Now all the trap door guys are showing up haha...are there any good how-to write ups with pics or do you guys have any pics of your set ups?
Did it on a 98 Blazer. Just put a piece of sheet metal so I would not hurt the lines,measured off of body floor stamping,made 4 small sliced with a die grinder then used a short metal blade on the sawsall. Its a crasher truck for my son who goes to college and will be sold so he can get a real car. I thought some of the older Cadillacs had a factory trap door?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

I cut the trap door also! It's not a 60k car and it will never be seen.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Launching!

All you guys lowering the rear diffs: how much room is there to slide the tank out with a Ford 9" vs a factory 10 bolt?

I dont really want to do the trap door but i dont exactly want to attempt pulling the tank out either if i cant slide it past the diff. I should have done it when the whole diff was out but apparently wasnt thinking at the time.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Goto junk yard and find an OEM fuel pump access panel from a car that comes with one from factory. Cut hole, do work, and then pop rivet access panel into place. You'll have to drill the pop rivets out to get access again but that takes a few seconds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drop fuel tank or cut "trap door" for fuel pump swap