Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Two NEW walbro GSS340 pumps making low pressure!!??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two NEW walbro GSS340 pumps making low pressure!!??

First off....I'm ******* furious. Now that thats out of the way, I recently bought two new walbro GSS340 pumps from summit. They are one of the most common 255 HP pumps around. I had a twin pump setup in my car working flawlessly until I lost one 4 days ago. Got my two new ones, put them in, primed the key...and 10 PSI on my in-car FP gauge. Kept trying it and it would not go over 10 PSI.

I literally checked everything before the pumps...battery voltage was solid at 12.6, removed my aftermarket in line filter and opened it up...clean as a whistle. Made sure there was enough fuel in the tank, and re-checked all the lines inside the tank making up the pump assembly. I'm starting to lose ideas at this point, so I rigged up a line coming right off the outlet of the pump assembly dead-heading into a manual fuel pressure gauge. First key prime gets 10 psi, second one gets 15 psi, and it will not make more than 15 psi. It's also holding the pressure strong so I know theres no leaks inside the tank. I even put the line into a peanut butter jar and primed the pumps and it sort of dribbles out. With both pumps priming for the 3 second time, it filled the container about 2/3 of an inch. It almost seems like I got TBI pumps that were stamped with "GSS340" on them.

Not a happy camper, and am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or if MAYBE there is anything that could cause the pumps to be producing such a low pressure that I maybe missed? I'm thinking not, but I'm open to ideas.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking something is up with those pumps internally. Have you checked the outlets of the pumps to make sure there's nothing in there that could be restricting flow?

If there's nothing in the way and everything is wired correctly with the right amount of voltage, I would send them back.

I don't have any experience with these pumps but that's my opinion.

If you figure it out post it.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Danny
I'm thinking something is up with those pumps internally. Have you checked the outlets of the pumps to make sure there's nothing in there that could be restricting flow?

If there's nothing in the way and everything is wired correctly with the right amount of voltage, I would send them back.

I don't have any experience with these pumps but that's my opinion.

If you figure it out post it.
I actually did figure it out. Went to a local performance shop that had two walbro 255's in stock and picked them up. Put them in and the fuel system worked flawlessly. I tested the pumps I got from summit with a direct 12V source right off a battery with them submerged in mineral spirits, and they seemed weak even compared to my old take out pumps. I spoke to the tech at walbro and he was stumped. I will say though that he knew his **** and was very helpful on the phone in helping me diagnose the issue. He told me that if I replaced the pumps and that solved the problem, he wanted the old ones back for testing purposes. Sounds like they had a definite concern about the issue which is good. Either way, car is fixed now and I'm happy, but man what shitty luck to get not one, but TWO crap pumps! I noticed also that the summit pumps both had the same batch number stamped on them....not surprised at all. I'm willing to bet someone over there made them with a low pressure valve instead of the correct high pressure one.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Real Walbro's or Ho Chi Min knock offs?? Been a lot of them floating around.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Real Walbro's or Ho Chi Min knock offs?? Been a lot of them floating around.
Honestly, they resembled my old ones to a "T" so I would assume they are real. Even the tooling marks on the new ones matched my old ones exactly. I ordered them from summit for the main reason of eliminating the possibility of getting a knockoff, but who knows these days.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did You send the pumps back to Warbro?
If Summit is selling counterfeit pumps, Warbro would want to know.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
Did You send the pumps back to Warbro?
If Summit is selling counterfeit pumps, Warbro would want to know.
Summit is picking the pumps up from me for the refund, and I am going to put a note in there saying that the gentleman from walbro wanted them returned for testing. I could always call summit and maybe see if they can make a note on their system for that return to forward them to walbro.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Your not the only one getting bad walbro pumps from summit. I had 3 all bullsh##. Took them forever to refund my money. Funny thing is they told me the pumps they were sending me where outdated.what kind of mess is that. Now I got racetronics, no issues at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackonblack817
Your not the only one getting bad walbro pumps from summit. I had 3 all bullsh##. Took them forever to refund my money. Funny thing is they told me the pumps they were sending me where outdated.what kind of mess is that. Now I got racetronics, no issues at all.
Wow, no ****. Funny thing is, when I received the pumps, they seemed old. The oily coating they usually come with was all dried up and slightly tacky, and the rubber cap on the outlet port was so hardened on that I had to cut it off with a knife. When I purchased the two fresh walbros from the local performance shop, the oily coating was fresh and the rubber caps pulled right off with no effort and seemed very pliable still. Sounds to me like summit needs to get their **** in order and refresh their stock! Thanks for that little bit of info man. They told me on the phone that they never have any issues when selling those pumps....

Quick Reply: Two NEW walbro GSS340 pumps making low pressure!!??