Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

C5 LS1 swap (race Jeep), worked great, then suddenly won't run right

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 LS1 swap (race Jeep), worked great, then suddenly won't run right

I have a race in 9 days and I'm starting to panic..... I'm not sure what to even look for and need advice.

This is a 2001 C5 LS1 swapped into a Jeep Wrangler offroad race car.

Scenario:

Drove great, then all issues happened at once (light switch change)
Throwing code P0506
Hesitating, popping, rough idle
Sucking in tons of air on startup (more than before issue)
Will not start on first try
Will not reach 4500 RPM without losing all engine power
Very rough start up
Revving engine will cause it to stall
Feels like it has hardly any power at all

History:

I have 300 miles on the swap (motor has 73k). In those 300 miles, on day one the car ran hot (230 degrees), I had the cooling redone and now it runs between 195 and 205. Then in the next 30 miles it puked out 3+ quarts of oil. I had the gaskets replaced under the intake and that solved 90% or so of the oil leak. But car was running a bit off (too rich) after 100 or so miles, so I replaced the Walbro fuel pump and took out the fouled mismatched plugs and replaced with NGK and new wires. I then took it to Heinz Racing in Mooresville, NC last week and they dialed in the car to what they thought was very good. I've put about 10 miles or so on the new tune and the jeep was running incredible.

Issue circumstances:

Yesterday I drove it to the gym and it was flying, driving great (also nearly out of gas), the jeep sat for 90 minutes, and when I tried to come home it had trouble starting. As I pulled out of the parking lot it popped, hesitated, and backfired. Luckily the gas station was 50' away- I thought it was totally out of fuel. After filling up, the car wouldn't start. About 10 minutes of trying, it finally turned over. It popped, hesitated, would lose power, wouldn't idle correctly, wouldn't go over 40mph, every time I would accelerate more than 1/4 throttle the car would lose all engine power and drop down to 1k rpm, despite how much gas I was giving it.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Not internal engine related-conversion to a Jeep BUT you'll do better here in the fuel & injection section.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a scanner or tuning program in there. Chances are a sensor got disconnected. The ECT/IAT have a huge effect on the fuel and spark.

Without knowing what the ECU is seeing you are swinging in the dark.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maf sensor take a dump? Off road abuse can knock the sensor goofy.

Quick Reply: C5 LS1 swap (race Jeep), worked great, then suddenly won't run right