Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Nylon fuel line compatibility with standard barbs? Or whatever im trying to say..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon fuel line compatibility with standard barbs? Or whatever im trying to say..

I'm putting a 6.0 in an 83 k20. I want to run dual tanks. I have 2 senders with ep241's ready to go. The problem is the polack tank switching valve has standard 3/8 barbs coming off of it and is generally used with rubber hose and clamps. I hate the thought of 6 high pressure rubber hoses coming of this thing secured by hose clamps. Can the nylon fuel line be used in place of rubber hose? Is there a certain clamp to use with this stuff. My initial plan was a single tank with braided ptfe and mostly hard line, but I'm going to need more range than the single 20 gallon tank can provide. So I'm wondering if I can go nylon hose to the pollack switching valve than to the vette filter regulator than run hard line/ braided from there. Thanks for any help. This project has been on hold for a while. I'm eager to get back to it!
Attached Thumbnails Nylon fuel line compatibility with standard barbs? Or whatever im trying to say..-screenshot_2016-01-01-16-15-45.png  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put a suburban gas tank in my truck. It sits between rear end and bumper. Only think you need to do is figure out fuel neck. If you go this route get the crossmembers as well in frame. As that's what holds tank. Tank is like 35-40 gallons.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 76larkman
I put a suburban gas tank in my truck. It sits between rear end and bumper. Only think you need to do is figure out fuel neck. If you go this route get the crossmembers as well in frame. As that's what holds tank. Tank is like 35-40 gallons.

I wish I would have went that route from the beginning... Im thinking I may just get this going with the main driver side tank and after the 20 gallons gets annoying change it out for a suburban tank. I would do it now but Iv got so much money invested in new senders, tank and what not, Ill run it single saddle tank for a while. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

What are you trying to achieve with such complication of 2 tanks, senders, silly valves etc ?

And no way would I ever want to be clamping or pushing a nylon hose onto plastic fittings.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What are you trying to achieve with such complication of 2 tanks, senders, silly valves etc ?

And no way would I ever want to be clamping or pushing a nylon hose onto plastic fittings.

Im trying to put 2 tanks on the truck, and all that silly stuff you mention is the way gm did it... I didnt design it. And what is the big deal of plastic with nylon hose? isnt half of all gm's fuel fittings plastic? What are you trying to accomplish coming into my thread and offering no real advice???
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

If you have the correct tooling to install the nylon hose onto appropriate fittings, then by all means use it.

But from the sounds of your post, this valve you want to use is not designed for that. But then you say this is what GM done ? There is a contradiction there.

So did GM use nylon hose on that valve, or not ?

And if GM already did it on your truck....it's already there ? or just buy it from GM as a finished product ?

The simple way to run a split type tank is to pull fuel from the secondary tank using the syphon pump on the EFI fuel return line inside the tank that some OEM's use ( eg Vette, Subaru and no doubt others with awkward tank shapes ), then you can have an overflow to spill back into the secondary tank.

Or run a small pump in the secondary to keep the primary full at all times, again with any overflow going back into the secondary

No ******* about with valves or trying to use incorrect hoses on fittings.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

The truck is a 1983. Im pretty sure GM wasnt using nylon hose in 1983.. I simply wanted to know if nylon hose could be used in place of rubber hose. Get it? The design with the valve and 2 senders and 2 tanks is a gm design but they didnt use nylon hose...... clarify enough for you?? And GM's 1983 design sounds a lot simpler than syphon pumps, overflow hoses and whatever else keeps one or the other tanks from overfilling in the newer designs. Someone just needs to make an updated valve... Thanks for your input. Im simply going to run 1 tank for now and put a larger in when the need arises.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
9 Second Club

So my original response stands then

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Is that clear enough ?

And the syphon pump simply runs off the fuel return flow. No moving parts, no power, no wires and 100% reliable and simple.
It doesnt get any easier that's why the OEM's use it now.

Simple always works better than a complicated system.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend who does car transporting. Its for large new car dealer and their truck. 2010 Chevy Diesel 1 ton. They mounted a semi fuel tank in bed of truck for extra capacity. They simply run a electric pump from it tied into fuel inlet tube. Pump is on toggle switch. As he goes down road guage gets low he flips on switch refilling his tank on truck. The bad of it tho is forgetting shut off if not watching guage saying full. So far he never forgotten it. That could work from your saddle tank by tie it into tank you run. Just remember how to not forget to watch guage.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

You said no way would i use nylon hose on plastic fittings... Yes you did. I said whats the deal with plastic fittings, gm uses lots of plastic fittings.. Now if you woud have said incorrect plastic fittings or no, the nylon hose is not designed for that barb type we would no longer be having this conversation. Now getta outta here with your syphon pumps and overflow crap i didnt even ask about in the first place.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 76larkman
I have a friend who does car transporting. Its for large new car dealer and their truck. 2010 Chevy Diesel 1 ton. They mounted a semi fuel tank in bed of truck for extra capacity. They simply run a electric pump from it tied into fuel inlet tube. Pump is on toggle switch. As he goes down road guage gets low he flips on switch refilling his tank on truck. The bad of it tho is forgetting shut off if not watching guage saying full. So far he never forgotten it. That could work from your saddle tank by tie it into tank you run. Just remember how to not forget to watch guage.
Iv thought about using one of the original tbi pumps to just pump into the main tank, but like you said a guy would have to not forget to turn the pump off or rig up a super intensive automatic way of doing it. I also liked the idea of having the redundancy of 2 fuel pumps. If theres any problem iv had with ls based engines its been there fuel pumps. I have a tahoe thats left me on the side of the road twice now because of shot fuel pumps. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

It does seem you need to learn to read.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Do not use plastic tubing on fittings made for rubber hose. The barb on the fitting made for rubber hose is larger and the plastic would not go over it. Fuel injected hose and the proper clamps will be ok, yes there are special clamps for fuel injected hose.

Quick Reply: Nylon fuel line compatibility with standard barbs? Or whatever im trying to say..