Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

High pitched screeching noise in rear - sound clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched screeching noise in rear - sound clip

I recently had a flowmaster 80 muffler installed in my car, which I bought used from a friend for $20. It was a 20 min drive in low 80's temp. Once I got back home, after a 25 min drive (50% highway 50% city roads) in similar weather, I noticed a noise coming from the back of the car. I had not driven this car for such a distance (or in such weather) since I bought it about 7 months ago. I thought it might be an exhaust leak, but then read that sometimes it is the fuel pump, especially on warm days.

The noise could be heard when the key was turned (while priming) and then would stop until I fired up the car, where it started again. About 5 or 6 hours later, it would not make the noise anymore. I fired it up 2 days later and I could barely hear it at idle (or at least I think it was that same noise). I had never paid attention, or even heard this noise before (even with the quieter stock muffler). I do not know if it is coincidence that it started with the change of the muffler, or if it was the longer drive in higher temp weather.

Anyway, I recorded a clip of the noise as I turned the key, and then at idle. It is the high-pitched screeching noise. Do you guys think it might be the fuel pump, or an exhaust leak?

I had posted in the Firebird forum, but then realized this might be a better place to post. Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
Voice_004.wav (1.90 MB, 37 views)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

open your gas cap can you hear it louder in there? can you hear it inside the cabin but in the rear? replace your fuel filter and see if it goes away. But yes this is most likely your fuel pump

Quick Reply: High pitched screeching noise in rear - sound clip