Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

99 Trans Am sitting for 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Trans Am sitting for 4 years

I'm looking for a little guidance in getting my 99 Trans Am back on the road after sitting for about 4 years.

I had some issues with storage a few years back and unfortunately had to dump the car at my in-laws. I didn't plan on keeping it there so I never prepped it for storage and now its got some expected fuel problems.

The last time I tried to start it, which was over a year ago, it would run off of starter fluid, but it wasn't getting fuel.

After 4 years of sitting, the gas is obviously bad (as are all the other fluids) but I don't really even know where to start. I'm guessing the fuel pump is shot, but I'd love to get a little help on how to start diagnosing and fixing the problems.

Would the first step be to drain the tank and put some fresh gas in? Or take off the fuel filter and see if the gas is flowing?

I'm far from a mechanic so some detailed help or links to how-to's would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just resurrected a 98 z28 that hadn't ran in 3 years. Fuel pump was locked up. Swapped it out drained the lines and it fired right up.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a pressure gauge but I hit the schrader valve out of curiousity. The gas smelled like either but surprisingly there was pressure in the rail.

I have the battery on a charger now but I don't know if it will hold a charge.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:43 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car sat for seven years, probably wasn't fired up for the last five of them. The car only had a few gallons of gas in it while sitting. Before I fired it up the first thing I did was changee the fuel filter. When I was ready to fire it up, I dumped in some new gas with some marine grade Sta-Bil, only because it's blue in color. I popped out my fuel pressure gauge sending unit from the front of the fuel rail and attached a clear PVC hose to it with a hose barb, running into a fuel jug on the floor. I turned the key and watched the color of the fuel until it had noticeably changed color. Once I saw that I reinstalled the sending unit and attempted to start it. It didn't turn over more than a few seconds before firing up. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1
My car sat for seven years, probably wasn't fired up for the last five of them. The car only had a few gallons of gas in it while sitting. Before I fired it up the first thing I did was changee the fuel filter. When I was ready to fire it up, I dumped in some new gas with some marine grade Sta-Bil, only because it's blue in color. I popped out my fuel pressure gauge sending unit from the front of the fuel rail and attached a clear PVC hose to it with a hose barb, running into a fuel jug on the floor. I turned the key and watched the color of the fuel until it had noticeably changed color. Once I saw that I reinstalled the sending unit and attempted to start it. It didn't turn over more than a few seconds before firing up. Hope this helps.
That definitely helps. I'm definitely going to change out the fuel filter, but I was worried that the fuel lines might be gummed up.

I don't think there's a lot of fuel in the tank, but I'm not positive because the fuel gauge isn't totally accurate.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine. Nothing was gummed up, the fuel that came out when I removed the filter just smelled old & stale.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I just need to figure out if the fuel pump is working or not. I won't be able to get the battery back in until this weekend.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So interestingly, I slow charged the battery for a few days and put in back in the car today to see if the fuel pump would prime. Turned the ignition on and surprisingly heard it turn on. I didn't think I heard it when I tried it a year ago.

Just for the hell of it I gave it a crank and the son of a bitch fired right up, no hesitation. I shut it down immediately since I haven't put in fresh gas or changed the fuel filter yet, but it was a damn good day!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drained the fuel today and changed the fuel filter. Put in 5 gallons of fresh 93, primed the fuel lines, and she fired right up no hesitation.

This is some of the gas that came out:

Quick Reply: 99 Trans Am sitting for 4 years