Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

02 trans am, losing fuel pressure when warm outside

Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question 02 trans am, losing fuel pressure when warm outside

Losing fuel pressure when it is warm outside, when it's cool outside the car runs fine. This is just while daily driving. 20 psi at the rail when it's messing up.

02 trans am, we replaced the fuel pump with a racetronix in tank pump, has a hot wire kit also. We installed the pump about 6 months ago and we have started having issues, it's getting worse it seems. Do you think it's the pump again or maybe the regulator or what else? Need ideas before we buy a new fuel pump and still have this issue.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Racetronix pumps seem to be having a lot of problems here lately...
Old 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since it only happens when it is warm that would make me suspect the pump. I'm not aware of temperature causing a problem with regulators. I'd contact Racetronix and see if they will give you a replacement?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Losing fuel pressure when it is warm outside, when it's cool outside the car runs fine. This is just while daily driving. 20 psi at the rail when it's messing up.

02 trans am, we replaced the fuel pump with a racetronix in tank pump, has a hot wire kit also. We installed the pump about 6 months ago and we have started having issues, it's getting worse it seems. Do you think it's the pump again or maybe the regulator or what else? Need ideas before we buy a new fuel pump and still have this issue.
Please join our support forum where this issue has been covered before.
Tnx.

http://racetronix.com/sales-support/support/

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dam.....
Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Please join our support forum where this issue has been covered before.
Tnx.

http://racetronix.com/sales-support/support/
This is probably the most annoying thing to me. Why can't you answer your questions here like every other company does. I see it all the time, people post a question about your product and your standard reply is.
Please use our forums for support.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
This is probably the most annoying thing to me. Why can't you answer your questions here like every other company does. I see it all the time, people post a question about your product and your standard reply is.
Please use our forums for support.
Most manufacturers do not provide support on public forums and many who once sponsored this forum no longer do because of the politics and headaches associated with posting here. One of the posts above is a prime example of what is wrong with forums today.

We have 1000's of customers who require support so we have pooled all our resources into our forum where most answers to common problems are available 24/7. There is no need to call during business hours and wait on hold long-distance only to have to be directed to online documents in the end. For all the effort it takes to post here and shop for opinions one can spend the same amount of time registering on our forum and get clear cut answers quickly and if required a warranty replacement. All our documents advise customers to register on our support forum at the time of purchase so that they can access support documents before the product arrives.

This is the business model we have chosen in order to best serve our customers around the globe while providing products with the best value. If a customer is not happy with online support, they may purchase Racetronix products through a dealer who provides phone sales and support.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 02-14-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is your registering process so difficult though?
It's like almost filling out a loan application.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shoot, now I'm trying to register and it's stuck on the birthdate page, it won't do anything else
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Original poster, have you read this thread? Sounds like the same problem? This guy fixed it it world seem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...l#post19008632
Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My son pulled the pump and checked everything but I wasn't there to see this.
Is the ventury the little hose that circulates the fuel back into the tank or bucket?
That I think was connected but I think my son said it looked kinked from when you push the bucket down.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is kinked, I would suspect that is the issue. The fuel needs to be returned to the bucket I believe. I am a member on the racetronix forum, and did a little scouting over there too. Based upon my reading, I believe it is likely that is the problem. Potentially the bucket going dry? Pumping the fuel out of it faster than it can fill up? I believe it needs the return fuel going back into it. I'd pull it out again and check it. I know people don't like to register over on their forum, but it has been helpful to me trouble shooting fueling problems. It is possible you have damaged your pump from running the bucket dry. It will overheat if there isn't enough fuel flowing through it to lubricate and cool it. My bets are it is probably ok if you fix the return line. I have my return line dumping at the base of the pumps into my sump. I have an old steel tank with a sump in the tank rather than the bucket.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have the instructions still? It shows which hose is the Venturi on it. My '98 doesn't use one of those, just a tube to the feed and a similar return tube to the sump. The Venturi is unique to your '99-02 bucket. It is critical to the function.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if we still have the instructions, I'd have to look. I always try to keep that stuff.
But.... it took months for this to start happening. I'm sure the ventury was kinked from day 1 so why months later the issue arises?
I can't be certain but I'm asking if he has had this issue with a full tank?
If so the ventury would be nothing with a full tank, am I right?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure the level in the tank makes any difference. If it were me I'd pull it out and check it. Either way it has to come out if you don't have enough fuel pressure. The only debate is do you put it back in without putting a new pump on there. 2 options as I see it 1) check the Venturi line and if it is ok, then replace the pump because it is not the Venturi. Or 2) if the Venturi is loose kinked or in some manner not functioning correctly, rectify that and put it back together. Either way it needs to come out. In the case of number 2 you may want to replace the pump as well, I would if I were dropping the tank because it is a pain in the butt. I may not want to put it back together fixing the Venturi only to find out a kinked Venturi damaged the pump and have to drop the tank again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 trans am, losing fuel pressure when warm outside