Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Trouble starting car after new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trouble starting car after new fuel pump

So I recently replaced the fuel pump in my 99 Z28 with a Walbro 255LPH Pump. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get it started or I have to turn the key twice. If I prime the pump 2-3 times before cranking it'll start right up. Seems weird because for the first week it turned on fine with no issues. Once it runs it runs fine but for some reason it has this starting issue. What could be the problem, anything I should check?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the fuel pressure at the rail with a test tool. See what pressure you have after turning the key once, then see if the pressure goes up the second and third time.

Once its running does it drive ok?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I had this happen for a little bit when I swapped in the racetronix with a 255, but since I was running a wet kit had a FP gauge in the car. Basically all the pressure would bleed off as soon as the pump stopped cycling. Strangely it stopped after a few weeks (this is going back about 10 years now, and it's still starts fine now).

2 things. One could be if you did not tighten the outlet hose on the fuel pump enough, so all the pressure bleeds out into the tank - this was known to happen on the racetronix kits if the hose clamp was too lose. Other is a poorly seating check in the pump itself.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting car after new fuel pump