Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Magnafuel Duel Relays

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnafuel Duel Relays

So I am not the best at wiring, but I know how to read a wiring diagram. I bought this dual relay wiring kit from magnafuel and have been trying to follow their wiring instructions to the T, but I took the wire harness plug that came with the relays off. Does this seem right on the wiring? If you look at a normal relay wiring diagram:

87 is the blue wires to the fuel pump

30 is the thick 10 gauge wire that mangafuel says goes to a main disconnect (guessing in race cars they have the fuel pump on/off toggle switch)?

86 is for the ignition switch

85 is chassis ground.

Look at the pictures of mine for 86 and 85...

If 86 is for the ignition switch why is there a black wire that is grounded to the bracket that comes with the relay kit. If 85 is chassis ground, then why is the orange wire that is supposed to be for the ignition switch there? Am i just looking at this wrong?? Again i am not the best at wiring, but this doesnt make sense to me?

Old 07-04-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

A relay is a switch that operates a switch. It's two independent circuits inside of the same tiny box. Every circuits needs a positive and a negative.

85 and 86 is a light duty switch that uses small wires and very little power. It's a light duty circuit that's completely independent of the other circuit. You can ground it to the mounting bracket, as long as you mount it to something that's a solid clean metal point.

30 and 87 are a heavy duty switch that needs a much heavier wiring circuit, and designed to operate heavy duty items like fuel pumps and fans.

Power comes in to 30, but stop there because the switch is open. There is no power to 85 until you turn the ignition key to ON. Once that happens, the switch between 85 and 86 closes, which causes the switch between 30 and 87 to close. Now you have power going to the fuel pump.

There's a number of reasons to use relays. You can't use an ignition switch heavy enough run all of your heavy duty circuits, like fuel pumps, fans, etc. The ignition switch and associate wiring would huge, expensive, and heavy. And, you can control an almost unlimited number of heavy duty circuits with one small dash switch, and one small dash circuit.

4 of these relays are controlled by low power computer controlled circuits.
Name:  tray3_zpse3951217.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  121.5 KB

Last edited by .boB; 07-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Magnafuel Duel Relays