Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is corvette fuel filter/regulator a straight swap to Fbody?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
There is no reason to up your pressure unless you are running out of injector. If thats the case the correct thing to do is buy bigger injectors.
First of all, I Like to lower my pressure, not raise it. I want to run 38psi around town, not 60psi. It will probably prolong fuel pump life.

Second, there is no boost reference on the vette regulator. So you push 15psi of boost and you lose 15psi of fuel pressure. It isn't an option for me regardless.

I got my 411 running at 44psi right now, flawless within a day. I am always adjusting fuel pressure and tune related variables because I feel like it. 15 years of it in fact, various cars. So, not just guessing in the dark.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Seems silly to me but whatever, and yes I wouldn't run a vette filter on a boosted setup, i would buy the correct FPR.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

You dont lose 15lbs of pressure for 15lbs of boost. At 15lbs you wont be at 43psi at the rail.
So that part is wrong.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Lowering the pressure is as bad as raising it; the tune is off because the injectors are not flowing the correct amount of fuel for the air metered. You really do not know what you are doing, as you are not accounting for all the variables in the equation.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Lowering the pressure is as bad as raising it; the tune is off because the injectors are not flowing the correct amount of fuel for the air metered. You really do not know what you are doing, as you are not accounting for all the variables in the equation.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

As long as the fuel trims are ok it isnt bad to do that. There are so many ways to run a fuel system. Unless you are running HUGE injectors for one reason or another or running boost, there seriously is no reason to do it though.
Older comps have no idea what fuel pressure is. They are like an obedient dog. They throw fuel at something like a dog would run after a stick, and then return the fuel trims. If the fuel trims are wrong, if the dog brought back the wrong stick, and they are like is this good master, then you change the tune up until it is right. Dont give the computer credit for being any smarter than it is. The dog...well pet him of course.
Some larger fuel inj cannot operate at a short enough pw for idle or off idle/cruise so you are stuck with turning the fuel pressure down. That happens normally when you over inject a setup though. The opposite way is true. You can set you base pressure at 58, run the correct inj, and let the boost take care of adding pressure over base and making the inj flow more.
There are so so many ways to do it.
The way he is running his may not be wrong, but what he said DEF was.

It wont prolong the life of the pump either.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Tune is not a problem if you know how to tune. I've tuned a hundred cars so its not an issue for me to **** with fuel pressure or any other components I desire.

Fact remains lower fuel pressure is easier on fuel system parts- just like lower blood pressure is easier on the bodies parts. All pressure systems typically show this relationship.

And yes, if my fuel pressure is 60psi and I use 15psi of boost, I now have 45psi worth of fuel pressure at the injector, within some significant digit 1% to 10%. If the injector is exposed to boost pressure (direct injection is not).
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

from aeromotive tech:

"All testing on Aeromotive fuel pumps for durability is done at 60-PSI. We typically see 2,000 run hours from a 340 Stealth Pump at 60-PSI and 13.5 volts. That said, lower pressure and/or slower speed can extend pump life, but you would need to change injectors (possibly) and retune the ECU (certainly) if you plan to run lower pressure."

Hope that helps, let us know if you need further assistance and thanks for choosing Aeromotive!

Brett Clow
Tech Director

trying to be civil here but literally 15 years of setting up engines vs a bunch of tech talk idiots who jerk each other off all time
I wont post something that I sound like I am sure of, unless I am sure of it within a fairly high confidence interval say 99.1%
Old 07-11-2017, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You have alot to learn about fuel systems, blood pressure, and anaolgies it seems.
Lower blood pressure than normal can cause fainting and heart attacks as well as many other issues. So please stop using that.

And no you dont have 45psi at the inj tip whether you add..um 1% or 10%? that makes no sense.

How do reg supercharger kits and even most turbo kits work so well with such a huge drop in pressure? They normally just come with larger injectors but properly sized for the hp output. You are misunderstanding what happens under boost in a manifold. Yes it does give resistance to the atomized fuel coming out of the inj, but is not directly proportional. If what you say is true and you run 36lbs cruising then at 15lbs you are only making 51 psi which, in your theory would be the same as 7lbs on a 58psi fuel pressure. Does that seem right?

You should seriously watch that feather light chip on your shoulder as well. No one cares how long youve worked on anything, esp when you bring such a nasty attitude.

What stock pump runs on 13.5v? Most pumps are even hotwired for 12. The lack of voltage to the pump is what kills them not running at 4bar vs 3 bar. There are many MANY of the racetronix 255 kits out there and rhe same pump is used for lt cars (3bar) as 98 ls cars (4bar) pretty much. They both will have nearly exactly the same service interval. Years.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 07-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
You have alot to learn about fuel systems, blood pressure, and anaolgies it seems.
Lower blood pressure than normal can cause fainting and heart attacks as well as many other issues. So please stop using that.

And no you dont have 45psi at the inj tip whether you add..um 1% or 10%? that makes no sense.

How do reg supercharger kits and even most turbo kits work so well with such a huge drop in pressure? They normally just come with larger injectors but properly sized for the hp output. You are misunderstanding what happens under boost in a manifold. Yes it does give resistance to the atomized fuel coming out of the inj, but is not directly proportional. If what you say is true and you run 36lbs cruising then at 15lbs you are only making 51 psi which, in your theory would be the same as 7lbs on a 58psi fuel pressure. Does that seem right?

You should seriously watch that feather light chip on your shoulder as well. No one cares hlw long youve wormed on anything, esp when you bring such a nasty attitude.
You never read my book huh. It goes over the minute details which would take up miles of pages here to assuage. Lower pressure is typical in athletes, who do not faint and fall down on concrete as you are suggesting. The idea is to get as LOW AS POSSIBLE without going TOO LOW. Hope that helps.

So in an engine application, I find my injector size, I find my headroom at some pressure to be 80% or 90% Duty cycle or whatever desired, and that is my max pressure to support power. No need to go any higher than that. This, using the smallest injector possible, with the lowest fuel pressure possible, is the goal (for production daily drivers/reliable transportation/economy).

Forget everything you know about engines for the next one. Just imagine this.
Fuel pressure is 0psi
intake manifold pressure is 0psi

the injector opens: what happens?

You might get a drip drip drip effect from gravity. We call that negligible flow. That is your 1% to 10% of negligible flow I mentioned.

Now increase both the same rate- 15psi fuel pressure, 15psi manifold pressure.

Same thing happens.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Wrong.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

wrong. yeah that really helps everyone. thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Why keep on with this pissing match that you insist on turning every thread in to when you arent brining much to the discussion table?

The original post you had about running a lower pressure was fine. a bit self absorbed and arrogant but fine. After that the chip got shot and it turned into talon on a tide box. The initial theory was right but what you said was wrong. And every post after as well. You claim to be a smart man, but you should practice being humble.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

He overthinks everything, tries to re-engineer everything, and can never be told he is wrong. With his particular knowledge and particular attitude these conversations are a daily occurrence for him. BOOM!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
wrong. yeah that really helps everyone. thanks
It does help all but you, because he is right, and you are wrong. Plus, anyone reading this thread agrees with him, and not you. Some of the people here ARE engineers, and you are not. Your comments make that obvious. You are here to feed your starving ego with your delusions of authoritative automotive knowledge, but nobody here buys it. Nobody is impressed at all.
Are you starting to get the picture?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you remove the nylon lock from the F-body filter, will the AN-converter fit...?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That quick connect uses the same nylock. You can adapt that yes, but why would you?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1charged
obviously there is 1 extra port on the vette filter/reg then on an fbody one.... but will the vette filter/reg directly replace the fbody one? and then just run a return line from the return port to the tank? thanks for any advice
I am running the Vette filter/reg on my setup. You will have to remove the fuel pressure regulator from your fuel pump assembly. I have the quick disconnects for the fuel and return lines.

You will have to modify the fuel line coming out from the filter to your fuel rail also. I removed a portion of the line and the block for the return line then cut and flared an aluminum line and ran AN fittings. So far my fuel pressure holds steady at about 60 psi. I currently have the engine back out but will snap some pictures of my set up and post them.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

With our kit there is no flaring etc and no need for alum line. Just cut at the T and use the dorman kit to delete the stock fuel filter and done.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Glad to see someone simplified the mod for us. That was not around when I did it so thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is corvette fuel filter/regulator a straight swap to Fbody?