Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Here is the inside folks (3 pics so scroll or swipe)
View this post on Instagram
Old 01-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the kit installed. I also installed a racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit. I am showing 70 psi at the rail with a rail mounted gauge. AFR seems to be fine with my aem wideband. So no issues that i can tell. I need to get a tune soon anyways.

i hope the pics help. I have yet to see pics anywhere else
Attached Thumbnails Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys-img_20180113_114042047.jpg   Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys-img_20180113_114048514.jpg   Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys-img_20180113_152357533.jpg  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Talked to you on the phone the other day, sorry we did not have a chance to catch up yesterday we are finishing "year end" backups and inventory.

The regulator kit is supposed to take the place of the T fitting below the driver seat, not the original fuel filter. That is where the original Fbody fuel line setup has the return at. The instructions should have stated that though. Did you not get one?
That is likely why you are running into higher than normal pressure. Extra flow restrictions.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Talked to you on the phone the other day, sorry we did not have a chance to catch up yesterday we are finishing "year end" backups and inventory.

The regulator kit is supposed to take the place of the T fitting below the driver seat, not the original fuel filter. That is where the original Fbody fuel line setup has the return at. The instructions should have stated that though. Did you not get one?
That is likely why you are running into higher than normal pressure. Extra flow restrictions.
the factory t is gone now, i cut the return line further back from the t fitting and used the fitting provided to fit it to the fuel filter. So the original kit is suppose to use the factory fuel filter and the c5 filter? that doesn't seem correct. By the time the fittings are attached im not sure how else the filter can be installed and not hang under the frame rail.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It sits very close but it works. Over 50 sold/installed so far.
You told me you followed all of the instructions but clearly you took your own approach. That is very likely the issue. In the instructions it says use the included brass compression fitting and quick connect tube to go in place of the factory fuel filter.
We designed this kit to go exactly in that place and use the best flowing least amount of fitting possible to keep flow restriction and transitions to a minimum.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

please provide me a pic of the install then, I would like to see how this should have been installed. I am not upset. the 70 psi may be due to the fuel pump and hot wire kit and poss even the fuel filter. i have seen the C5 regulators can vary in psi. I have the return line going into the return on the fuel filter, i also have the feed going into the feed on the fuel filter and i used 2 less fittings than your kit included. i dont think the routing i used would cause any issue with flow. My car is running fine. I was just trying to provide you pics of an install so you would have some bc i have yet to see anyone with pics. Due to the length of the fittings once added to the fuel filter you cannot mount the filter horizontally, it would hit the torque arm.

i also talked over the phone with another person on this forum who did the same style of install with the kit.

Last edited by fatbody99; 01-13-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We do not have any pictures yet. We have asked for them, but no one has posted or sent any in.
The 70psi is not likely due to the 340 pump or hotwire.
The instructions are clear where to mount it for a very good reason. It does not matter so much that you used fewer parts in that it is not operating as designed.

Hopefully it is just an improperly operating filter/reg assembly. A fluctuation of 12psi on the plus side is not normal. It will also change the output of the 340 pump as well by decreasing overall flow. Your injectors will "flow" more now but the fuel trims can be calibrated though.

If you use fewer parts and it works afterward aa designed then good deal!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
We do not have any pictures yet. We have asked for them, but no one has posted or sent any in.
The 70psi is not likely due to the 340 pump or hotwire.
The instructions are clear where to mount it for a very good reason. It does not matter so much that you used fewer parts in that it is not operating as designed.

Hopefully it is just an improperly operating filter/reg assembly. A fluctuation of 12psi on the plus side is not normal. It will also change the output of the 340 pump as well by decreasing overall flow. Your injectors will "flow" more now but the fuel trims can be calibrated though.

If you use fewer parts and it works afterward aa designed then good deal!
I am in the process of completing this install as well. I also have the Racetronix pump and hot wire on a 98 Camaro. I bought this kit to hopefully lower my fuel pressure (and hopefully also fix my stalling issue) which is also at about 70psi when running and about 58psi with just key on.
I don't know which components (pump or hot wire) that raised my pressure but I know id like to install this filter regulator kit "correctly" so I'm not adding issues and eliminate the in tank regulator as the cause of high pressure.
I've tried to follow the directions that came with it but I don't see how the filter can mount using them. The only way I can see it mounting using only the included kit hardware is the same way as the other user posted in the pictures.
As far as I can tell, following the instructions included would require two additional 90 degree fuel lines to allow the (tee to engine feed line) and the (tee to return line) to connect to the new filter.
I've reached out to ws6store/project for clarification on the installation process and I'm waiting to hear from them.

Last edited by Kokomastah; 01-25-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kokomastah
I am in the process of completing this install as well. I also have the Racetronix pump and hot wire on a 98 Camaro. I bought this kit to hopefully lower my fuel pressure (and hopefully also fix my stalling issue) which is also at about 70psi when running and about 58psi with just key on.
I don't know which components (pump or hot wire) that raised my pressure but I know id like to install this filter regulator kit "correctly" so I'm not adding issues and eliminate the in tank regulator as the cause of high pressure.
I've tried to follow the directions that came with it but I don't see how the filter can mount using them. The only way I can see it mounting using only the included kit hardware is the same way as the other user posted in the pictures.
As far as I can tell, following the instructions included would require two additional 90 degree fuel lines to allow the (tee to engine feed line) and the (tee to return line) to connect to the new filter.
I've reached out to ws6store/project for clarification on the installation process and I'm waiting to hear from them.
If you want tech support please email me directly.
Otherwise the filter kit will work with no additional parts. We have sold so many and most have been installed per instructions and have had 0 issue. I planned this out on an fbody so it will work.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't mean to thread-jack (man, that sounds way dirtier than intended), but could a faulty fuel pressure regulator in a 1998 pump cause excessive return leading to sufficient in-tank pressure for the fuel to spill out the filler neck? I had this issue before swapping to a plastic tank system, as have several others, and no one seems to know what causes the overflow. I thought it was a tank neck issue, but I couldn't even pour the fuel out with the tank removed, so then I figured some kind of pressure vent malfunction.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

I am in the same boat. I talked to tech support and could not figure out how to get it to work without using the factory 90 like previous poster. Key on I am at 55psi running I am at 80 could it be a bad batch of regulators. I could not find any restictions in my return line. And that is what would cause a spike in fp
Old 06-05-2018, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by dropedss86
I am in the same boat. I talked to tech support and could not figure out how to get it to work without using the factory 90 like previous poster. Key on I am at 55psi running I am at 80 could it be a bad batch of regulators. I could not find any restictions in my return line. And that is what would cause a spike in fp
I'm currently running a Walbro 450 with the C5 filter/regulator mod. I did this mod back in 2014 so this isn't like the kit from the WS6store. I wish that kit was around when I did this mod but my fuel pressure holds around 60-62 psi. I can post some pictures up if you want to see them.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

When I did mine I originally reused the factory 90 degree bend and completely replaced my nylon return line (I thought the very slight kink it had could have been the reason for high pressure, it wasn't). My fuel pressure was still in the 62-70 range. I eventually replaced the factory 90 line with another from eBay because I had a leak at that connection due to cleaning the rust of the line and cutting it too short. Even with the leak, fuel pressure was higher than spec at the time. Now as it sits, no leaks or anything, pressure is usually around 64-68psi but I've also noticed that it will sometimes go down to the 58-62 range after operating for sometime. How long before that happens? I couldn't tell you.

I've also noticed recently that my key on engine off pressure is about 50 and I'm pretty sure it used to be right at 58 like it should, before spiking up to 68psi with engine running, so I'm not sure what changed there.

The theory on bad batch of regulators could be possible I suppose. All I know is I don't have any return line restrictions and pressure is high. My fuel trims are just about perfect at idle but rich in other conditions, I'm waiting to get a tune before passing judgement on if that is because of other mods like air and egr delete as well as cat and muffler delete or just a worn out engine.

I've been meaning to take a picture of my install to send to ws6 store but haven't had the chance to jack the car up high enough. I'll look into getting one for you guys by the end of the week if I tackle my exhaust rattle.

Last edited by Kokomastah; 06-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I'm currently running a Walbro 450 with the C5 filter/regulator mod. I did this mod back in 2014 so this isn't like the kit from the WS6store. I wish that kit was around when I did this mod but my fuel pressure holds around 60-62 psi. I can post some pictures up if you want to see them.
I'd like to see some if you don't mind. I just recently found out about this mod while looking to replace my 255 with something bigger.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

I changed out my regulator and it right at 62to 65
Attached Thumbnails Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys-img_20180518_231420.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Spoke with support at ws6 store and they are returning my regulator
Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dropedss86
Spoke with support at ws6 store and they are returning my regulator
I wish they would take mine back too, but I'm not even going to bother asking since I bought it last year.
My setup up looks pretty much identical, but I noticed you didn't ground your filter, or is it just not visible?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

It is grounded just not visible
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
I'd like to see some if you don't mind. I just recently found out about this mod while looking to replace my 255 with something bigger.
It's not difficult to do you just need some fuel line, fittings, a flaring and tube bending tool but the WS6store has designed a kit so I'd got that direction. Sweeet looking ride by the way!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
It's not difficult to do you just need some fuel line, fittings, a flaring and tube bending tool but the WS6store has designed a kit so I'd got that direction. Sweeet looking ride by the way!
I just might go with the kit. I wish I knew something like this was possible years ago, I would have done it. But I knew another bigger then a 255 and the factory regulator couldn't keep up. Anything else you had to do to the fuel system to make the 450 work? Is it still in the bucket? I was thinking of going with a 340 but who knows.
thank you, yours too arctic white ftw!

Quick Reply: Ws6Store/RPMSpeed c5 filter/regulator upgrade for 98-02 fbodys