Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

5.3 with fuel return to lq9 without fuel return

Old 11-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 with fuel return to lq9 without fuel return

I have just swapped out my old 5.3 to a lq9 with the harness on it. The 5.3 has had a fuel return and the 6.0 doesn't, my truck has the return line. Can I block off the fuel return line on my truck without any issues? I'm really trying to avoid swapping harnesses back since the new one is already in and the old harness had been repaired in a couple places. The new motor came with the pcm and the harness is good so I'd like to leave it like that if I can. If I can just block the return off with no issues then all I'll have to do is change the o2 sensors since the 6.0 harness plugs are different. Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Are u saying the new intake is returnless and your old setup was return? And u wnat to do away with the return setup?

If so u can add a corvette regulator for a returnless setup. U cant just block the return line off bc u dont have a regulator to control psi. The returnless setup has the regualtor built into the feul pump. I would keep the return setup. Just swap rails over.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Are u saying the new intake is returnless and your old setup was return? And u wnat to do away with the return setup?

If so u can add a corvette regulator for a returnless setup. U cant just block the return line off bc u dont have a regulator to control psi. The returnless setup has the regualtor built into the feul pump. I would keep the return setup. Just swap rails over.
thats what I'm going to do, I just have to run a new wire the flex fuel sensor since I'm using the new harness and it doesn't have the wire for it.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Or if u dont need the flex fueling just disable it in the tune.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Or if u dont need the flex fueling just disable it in the tune.
what tuner should I get?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Why not use the old harness and fuel rail setup?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need a fuel return yes!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Why not use the old harness and fuel rail setup?
because the old harness is dry rotted and has several broken wires. If I just swapped the whole intake I would have injectors with 270,000 miles on them defeating the purpose of putting the new engine in plus I would have to un pin the injector connectors and re pin them with the connectors off the old harness. On the old intake the fuel rails mount up higher and the injectors are longer plus the connectors are different. I ended up using the left side fuel rail and just modifying the mounting points. The o2 sensors are different as well so I've got to get the o2 sensors off the donor and use them. I figured it out I just wanted to find the easiest way, which never works for me lol.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jmyoungblood10
because the old harness is dry rotted and has several broken wires. If I just swapped the whole intake I would have injectors with 270,000 miles on them defeating the purpose of putting the new engine in plus I would have to un pin the injector connectors and re pin them with the connectors off the old harness. On the old intake the fuel rails mount up higher and the injectors are longer plus the connectors are different. I ended up using the left side fuel rail and just modifying the mounting points. The o2 sensors are different as well so I've got to get the o2 sensors off the donor and use them. I figured it out I just wanted to find the easiest way, which never works for me lol.
Your old injectors were flex fuel, which is why they were longer. They should be EV6 connectors and flow similar to LS6 injectors.

If your new rail doesn't have a return, then you don't have a fuel pressure regulator anymore, either. Go buy a Wix vette regulator and clip it onto your fuel rail, and then clip your original feed/return onto it. No mods necessary.

You'll have to swap a few pins and things on the new harness to work with your old trans.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Your old injectors were flex fuel, which is why they were longer. They should be EV6 connectors and flow similar to LS6 injectors.

If your new rail doesn't have a return, then you don't have a fuel pressure regulator anymore, either. Go buy a Wix vette regulator and clip it onto your fuel rail, and then clip your original feed/return onto it. No mods necessary.

You'll have to swap a few pins and things on the new harness to work with your old trans.
i have already swapped the left side fuel rail and modified it to fit the intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 with fuel return to lq9 without fuel return