Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

mechanical fuel injection questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mechanical fuel injection questions

Has anyone ever used a Ron's Terminator 2? Having a little difficulty trying to find a way to mount an 0 and a 1/2 fuel pump. I cant find a mandrel or a bracket. I've found a cam drive but that's not an option for me. It'd be in the way of my water pump and its 600 dollars. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I take it this is for a specific class?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

no, I just had this thing laying around and I thought it'd be pretty cool to use it on a LS platform. I haven't seen anyone running one.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 82swbLQ9
no, I just had this thing laying around and I thought it'd be pretty cool to use it on a LS platform. I haven't seen anyone running one.
Because they're TERRIBLE.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Try https://www.alkydigger.net/index.php They carry quite a bit of mechanical injection systems and parts.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Because they're TERRIBLE.
What in particular is wrong with it?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
What in particular is wrong with it?
It's VERY old technology. People used this because EFI wasn't around yet. It can never run as well as ANY good EFI system.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It's VERY old technology. People used this because EFI wasn't around yet. It can never run as well as ANY good EFI system.
Yep, Very old but also proven technology, It has it's place still today. Tuned correctly it can and does run as well as any efi system. It's hard to beat the simplicity of a Magneto, mechanical pump and injection. There is a reason it's still widely used....It works very well. For the street...Hell no...For racing you bet.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Works just fine for pro mods, top sportsman, top dragster, top fuel and funny cars, bracket cars, or any race only type vehicle for that matter where street manners are not required. I don't play with street toys anymore this is big boy stuff. Besides I like a challenge and I don't want to have the same stuff everyone else does. I saw a few threads on here where someone built their own brackets for a cable drive rear setup with a waterman pulley. I'll probably do something like that except the pump will be attached to the pulley or ill just mount it to the motor plate and cut a slot to adjust the belt since I don't need a dampener. Either way whether its cam driven or belt driven I'll make it work. Appreciate the help. And to the haters keep on hatin.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 82swbLQ9
Works just fine for pro mods, top sportsman, top dragster, top fuel and funny cars, bracket cars, or any race only type vehicle for that matter where street manners are not required. I don't play with street toys anymore this is big boy stuff. Besides I like a challenge and I don't want to have the same stuff everyone else does. I saw a few threads on here where someone built their own brackets for a cable drive rear setup with a waterman pulley. I'll probably do something like that except the pump will be attached to the pulley or ill just mount it to the motor plate and cut a slot to adjust the belt since I don't need a dampener. Either way whether its cam driven or belt driven I'll make it work. Appreciate the help. And to the haters keep on hatin.
The only place its really used besides top fuel is for classes that require it, like Nostalgia classes. My buddy Cory was the 2016 Nostalgia Drag Racing League champion. He uses a mechanical injection setup on his blown alcohol big block. Even he would tell you he would pick up BIG time going to a modern EFI setup.

Mechanical injection is a major pain in the ***. It works best at wide open throttle and nothing else. Even then, its not the best choice.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The only place its really used besides top fuel is for classes that require it, like Nostalgia classes.
It's still used in Sprint cars/midgets/Microsprints/ Tractor pulling and a few other types of racing but it's definitely limited and pretty much always has been because it's 100% throttle or nothing like you said..... Not many forms of motorsports ever fell into that category.
The one nice thing about EFI is the ability to have the look of the old injection system that is actually drivable on the street.
I have a bugcatcher converted to efi and here is one of the systems I'm converting It's going on a LS based 408 with an old fashioned roots blower.
This was actually made by Wally Larson and was on a Camaro that made the cover of a few mags like Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rod.

This is not my picture (previous owners) but I do now own this engine and plan to put it in a old 5-window Chevy truck.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Tuned correctly it can and does run as well as any efi system.
Uhhh.... NO. ONLY at wide-open throttle, which makes it pretty limited and primitive. It DOES have its place in racing where you are either totally on it or off it. VERY crude.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Uhhh.... NO. ONLY at wide-open throttle, which makes it pretty limited and primitive. It DOES have its place in racing where you are either totally on it or off it.
Uh....where did I say otherwise
Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I get what you're saying. It runs as well as EFI at WOT. So does a carb. The advantage of mech. inj. being ITB's, with their inherent superior distribution. Tuning correctly for WOT is a pretty narrow part of the tuning spectrum, you must admit.

Quick Reply: mechanical fuel injection questions