Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

RaceTronix Upgraded Bulkhead Connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default RaceTronix Upgraded Bulkhead Connector

Recently ordered the 340 Racetronix 98 Kit along with the C5 Fuel Filter/regulator kit from the WS6 store.

Planned on installing it this evening, but before I do wanted to make sure all of the necessary parts were included in each kit.

It was my understanding that the bulkhead connector is the weak link with the amp requirements of the larger pumps (340,450 etc).

However, that part is NOT included in the kit. There is another thread where Racetronix specifically states that the 150 bulkhead connector series will not handle the additional amps and that GM has revised and upgraded the connector.

So - before I start the install do I need the upgraded connector? If so what connector part number should have been included and/or what is the part number so I can order it. Seems odd that if is a requirement, that it is not included in the kit.

In addition I did not receive any instructions for the pump install. It looks different than my original Racetronix 98 Fuel Pump kit with the red pump which has legs attached to it. Have searched this forum but can't find any threads in this forum with directions specifically for the pump - 98 series.

I did receive the instructions for the wiring assembly and for the fuel filter/regulator but not for any modifications required in the tank if in fact needed.

BTW - I still have the original RX-F98_FPA installation manual.

Racetronix - if you reply to this thread - please don't tell me that instructions are available on your site. I have made several requests for someone to activate me so I can view instructions or access the forums on your site - going on three months now. I am able to log on. But to date can not access anything on your site.

I have sent the required documention/invoices of purchases of Racetronix products with my requests several times.

Plan to call WS6 store in the morning about the bulkhead connector.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-23-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The kit I received is the Racetronix FPWH-002. The package identification tag on the outside of the plastic bag states:

"*Racetronix upgraded bulkhead assembly required over 14 amps. "

After doing a google search on 'upgraded bulkhead assembly I found a site with this kit. According to the product description below an upgraded bulkhead connector is required else the pump (my 340) might fail. It mentions this connector: Fuel Module Electrical Bulkhead Connector Kit RCS-028 - Direct-fit 28-Amp rated connector replaces factory 14-amp unit.

Fuel Pump Wiring Kit MP150/GT280

This is the product description.

This kit has all the parts required to upgrade the factory wiring on GM factory vehicles equipped with the older-style 4-position 150-series fuel module connector to the new-style GT-series connector system. The older-style 150-series connectors are known to fail over time so GM/Delphi has switched all new-production modules to incorporate the GT-series connector system which has twice the current capacity. This fuel pump wiring kit is a must when upgrading to new high-performance pumps which draw 2-3 times more power than a factory pump.

This fuel pump wiring kit contains the following items:

Racetronix Fuel Pump Upgrade Harness FPWH-017 - Provides a heavy-duty power source for high-performance pumps (up to 30 amps). This harness adapts the older 150-series connector to the new 280-series connector without the need for external adapters or splicing.

Fuel Module Electrical Bulkhead Connector Kit RCS-028 - Direct-fit 28-Amp rated connector replaces factory 14-amp unit.

In-tank 12" Teflon wiring harness ITWH-024 - Direct hookup to the fuel pump's connector, NO SPLICING. Compatible with Walbro, DeatschWerks and other aftermarket fuel pumps. Extra long for tall modules used in some G.M. trucks / SUVs.(Positive terminal on left when pump's outlet is held at 12 o'clock. If you are using an Aeromotive pump you will have to reverse the terminals in the pump connector.)

Note: On the WS6store website and looking at the picture in the description for the 1998 Racetronix 340 upgrade kit - the pkg identification tag is FPWH-017. That kit does include the upgraded bulkhead connector.

But I didn't get that kit - what I is received was FPWH-002.

Will get this straightened out in the morning with WS6 store.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Let us know how it works out. Seems like a good kit and if my 255 is tapped out with this new motor setup the 340 seems like a well sorted PnP upgrade over that, but not a lot of threads out there yet with people's experience on it.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is the pic of the upgraded bulkhead connector and the wire and plug that attaches the fuel pump to the inside the tank male end of the bulk head connector (right side of pic). This kit FPWH-017 is for 99-2002 Fbody.

IMO, if this connector for the 98 kit isn't included or upgraded, then it's possible of a brownout (not enough voltage) - to the pump and it will fail prematurely. Or perhaps the bulkhead connector on the 98 fuel module assembly is sufficient to handle the additional amps required for the Racetronix RXP 341 fuel pump. A supporting vendor on this site says no leaving me wondering who to believe.

The right pic below showing the outside top of the 98 fuel module assembly. Note the yellow connector which is different than the white bulkhead connector on a 99-2002 assembly and as show in the left pic below.

The FPWH - 002 kit I have includes a new wire for attaching the RXP 341 pump to the inside the tank end of the yellow connector (right pic).

Still don't have an answer from WS6 store or Racetronix (Racetronix still hasn't given permission to access their site or forums).
Attached Thumbnails RaceTronix Upgraded Bulkhead Connector-hrnss.jpg   RaceTronix Upgraded Bulkhead Connector-98-fuel-assembly.jpg  

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-24-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add additional details
Old 05-02-2018, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 98 bulkhead connector is also yellow, but is a 4 flat like the white one pictured. I bought mine separate, because I just made my own hot wire kit since I had everything and it was cheaper.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

The racetronix kit for 98s comes with the racetronix harness bagged. the 98s do not have an upgraded bulkhead yet from racetronix but will soon i believe.
The 99-02 do come with the new plastic bulkhead but they have a different style module.
Please email me if you have any other issues.
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
Old 05-04-2018, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running one on my 98. Here is the upgraded and then the stock one below.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
I'm running one on my 98. Here is the upgraded and then the stock one below.
If you don't mind, what part number is that bulkhead? I have a 98 Z28 and I have a 99-02 Racetronix hotwire wiring harness from my last car laying around.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

I think I figured out what bulkhead you are using: https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=bcws-001
Old 05-11-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sube
I think I figured out what bulkhead you are using: https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=bcws-001
The question I have is this about the Racetronix yellow plug?

Each terminal in this plug can handle 14 amps compared to the upgraded 99-2002 150/280 bulkhead plug that has two terminals of four (280 side) where each of these two terminals can handle 28 amps. The other two terminals can only handle 14 amps (150 side). The RXP pumps require more than 14 amps.

So is it safe to say that if we use the yellow plug that we would have to connect two of the terminals as hot and two of the terminals as ground on the atmosphere side? Inside the tank would require the same. Two wires to the positive terminal of the pump and two wires to the ground terminal on the pump (RXP341, 450 etc. like what it appears the kit below does.

If so then I think this is the kit you (I need) - two wires on the inside - each can handle 28 amps (single pump of course).

https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=bcwa-c43 or maybe the C44.

But - this kit in link below I question. Looks like the same plug but Racetronix says that it can support two pumps (but still with only 4 incoming and outgoing wires from this plug). So would have to assume the each terminal in the bulkhead plug can handle 28 amps. Perhaps just a yellow plug but wont fit in the 10MM hole in the fuel module.

https://www.racetronix.biz/storeitem...cc=dp-itwh-xxx

Perhaps drilling out the hole on the 98 fuel module so the upgraded 150/280 plug will fit might be another option.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 05-11-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm only running a Walbro 450lph pump, so this if okay for my use, but if you are going for something that needs more and it's simply a size issue. I don't see why you can't drill it out a little larger as there is more room around it and the amount it needs to open up couldn't be much.

I do think they sold me the larger universal kit even though I didn't need all of that. I just called on the phone and got help from the sales person.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

What did you end up doing for the bulkhead connector? I'm about to order the 340 pump kit for my 98 camaro from ws6store
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drj8787
What did you end up doing for the bulkhead connector? I'm about to order the 340 pump kit for my 98 camaro from ws6store
If you are asking me, I still am using the stock yellow plug. In order to get the larger plug used on the 99-2002 fuel module assembly one would have to drill out the hole and then find a way to seal and hold the bulkhead connector in place. There isn't a provision under the 98 metal bulkhead to attach this plug like there is on the 99-2002. It appears the only way to use the yellow connector is to use two of the four terminals for the positive to the pump compared to the current plug which uses only one - one for pos and one for neg. So for now want to make sure everything else works before I tackle that issue.

Installing the 340 kit has been a fiasco because there is no way to use the existing mounting fixtures to work with the RXP341 because the fuel filter inlet tube is too short to reach thru the plastic fixtures that hold the pump in place on the hanger. I have tried every conceivable way to mount it but the pumps just flops around hanging on the metal hanger.

I was told to band clamp it to the hanger. That doesn't work either because when doing do either the power connection or fuel outlet mounts below the nylon piece that holds the sender and hanger in place. I had enlarge the hole on the bottom of the hanger so the filter would fit. But to make it so the filter would reach the fuel inlet I had to shorten the rubber bottom legs and bend the hanger. Even so it wasn't stable as you can see in the pic. Eventually it would just fall apart in the tank.

The only solution IMO is to make a mounting bracket that attaches to the pump. And since it is not needed and in the way of the filter, cut off the bottom of the hanger leaving just the rubber damper. This way you can easily attach the filter. I will include pics when I finish making the piece. Or if you have access to a milling machine one could make a bracket out of aluminum and mount the pump to it with it bolted to the hanger.

The pump will overpower the stock regulator. I installed the C5 filter regulator and got way over 60 lbs of pressure - between 70 and 75 at idle. So decided to uninstall the C5 kit and install what should be installed from the get go - a return style line from the fuel rail with regulator at the rail.

The in tank hoses included with the kit IMO are too short. You can use the short nylon hose (white) supplied with the kit but doing so will raise the hinge where the pump hangs. Raising the hinge raises the intake filter meaning the pump intake is farther away from the bottom of the tank. The 2nd hose from the right is about the correct length. The diameter is 8mm (corrected from original post that said 11mm). The Otiker clamp to hold hose ends in place is metric between 5/16 and 1/2. Half's are readily available to Advance Auto.

I got an assortment of lengths from a speed shop in Texas because I didn't know the exact lengh that I would need - about $5 per hose.

IMO the factory chose to run the return hose all the way to the bottom of the filter so the fuel goes directly into the gasoline. Note the two plastic provisions for the return hose on the stock mounting pump housings. The short hose supplied lets the gas just to drop into the tank. Not so sure that is a good idea. I will be using a hose that extends all the way down to the filter area.

I will be posting pics of the install when complete.

BTW - TIP: The filter supplied with the kit comes apart. It is a press fit. Pulling it apart makes it a lot easier to install the tiny spring clip on the round plastic pin on the pump that the filter secures to. Loosing the clip when trying attach it is a pain. Simply press it on with a small 1/4 socket sized just to fit over the plastic post - 9/32 as I recall. The socket will keep it from flying off into now where to be found in your garage. The socket presses it evenly unto the post.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-22-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Edit images and content
Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update on fix to secure the RXP 341 pump on the 98 metal hanger on the fuel tank module. Kit currently doesn't include anything.

This bracket works but is overkill. A 1/2 inch bolt holds the pump on the hanger. There is no need to have this much thickness for the clamp. It is billet aluminum so very light and doesn't in any way affect the hanger when you install the module into the tank. Didn't realize at the time that there are a slew of billet fuel pump bracket clamps already on the market so no need to make my own.

The base on the clamp is the correct height to raise the pump on the vertical hanger so the pump hangs correctly and so you can still attach the outlet hose and electric harness. You will have to remove some of the nylon on the fuel sender bracket for additional clearance.

With this clamp there is also space to tap a 1/2 inch hole on the bottom of the bracket to insert the return hose thru and hold it in place where returned fuel exits near the fuel filter just like the stock setup. However, there is a hole in the nylon fuel sender fixure (left side) above the pump that can be drilled out to 1/2 inch so the return hose can be routed thru as well. No need to wire tie or clamp to hold it in place so it flops around from 30-40 lbs of pressure.

The outside diameter of the RP 341 pump is 1.54 inches which converts to 39 mm (an odd size - most are clamp ID's are 1.5, 1.75, and larger. The clamp in the pic is 1.5 which is easily sized with a dremel and barrel sander to enlarge the inside diameter of the clamp to 1.54 inches.

But this clamp is industrial strength and overkill so have a smaller billet clamp being shipped not nearly as bulky. Will post pics when I get it installed.

This pump clamp is metal to metal, but so is the Racetronix 98 kit that contains a tube housing with the pump contained inside the barrel held in place with a band clamp. I never noticed any vibration or noise as a result. That said, the perfect clamp would contain a fuel compatible teflon liner between the clamp and the pump or two O rings.

FYI _ the high end priced in tank fuel pumps clamps have O rings. But can't find one with a 1 1/2 inch ID.

IMO - this is the ideal configuration for the pump clamp, but the ID to too large.

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...-Bracket-2-1-2

The OP - pm me for details if you want.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-24-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Edit content for clearity
Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The smaller fuel pump mounting clamp arrived and is installed. It is much smaller than the black clamp shown installed in my previous post.

Installing this clamp is pretty simple. It does have to be modified a bit to fit the larger circumference of the RXP 341 pump. The inside diameter of the hole is 1.5 inches compared to the outside diameter of the 341 pump that is 1.54 inches. I also had to raise the base of the clamp with nylon spacers. It is held in place by an overkill 1/2 inch bolt. That's size of the threaded bolt hole in bottom of the clamp.

IMO the clamp is much better than securing the pump to the metal hanger as suggested by vendor.

Plan to start another thread with complete instructions to install the Racetronix RXP341 in a 98 body from the rails all the way to the pump bulkhead.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-24-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: edit content and spelling errors
Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Going through a lot of extra pomp and circumstance especially on the blue and red compression fittings.
Racetronix already makes a complete kit for that also SUPER cheap and uses teflon line.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the complete Racetronix Fuel rail kit and 340 kit and was disappointed, to say the least. It is not complete and not super cheap - about $900 including extra miscellaneous parts not included.

As for pomp and circumstance, if others want to do what I did, fine. But if not that's OK too. Does it cost a lot to modify these cars? Yes it does.

IMO, there's a reason why Racetronix doesn't supply a 340 or more (450) kit for the 98. One is the bulkhead connector and the other IMO is how to mount the pump and filter on the metal hanger bracket (98 only) that is simple plug and play.

Racetronix did a pretty good job with the pump mounting tube and standoffs supplied with the original 255 98 kit. I have the kit. So the cost to mfg a clamp like I have used is far cheaper then the pump tube supplied with the 255 98 plug and play kit. The aluminum clamp cost me $14. A pump clamp with a modified base wouldn't even require a hole to be drilled on the metal hanger. Just mfg a 2 or 3 piece pump clamp that is secured to the metal hanger vertically rather than horizontally like the clamp I used. For me it will be a winter project.

The fix for the filter is to simply make the connecting tube longer either on the bottom of the pump or on the filter so there is clearance for the filter at the bottom of the metal hanger.

As for the yellow bulkhead connector that supports only 14 amps, it appears Racetronix uses the yellow connector in a kit that supports two pumps. Why can't a similar kit be made to work on a 98 supporting only one pump (340 for example) ????

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-25-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The kit is complete. im not sure what you bought but it literally comes with everything. New filter, new filter bracket, new adj regulator, fittings, rails, hose 8an feed 6an return. we have installed numerous ones that required no extra parts period.
For 575 to 585 is half the price of the others.
Im not sure what kit you bought but either you were confused or trying to do something else.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Default Part number

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
The smaller fuel pump mounting clamp arrived and is installed. It is much smaller than the black clamp shown installed in my previous post.

What’s the part number on that clamp the aluminum smaller one

Installing this clamp is pretty simple. It does have to be modified a bit to fit the larger circumference of the RXP 341 pump. The inside diameter of the hole is 1.5 inches compared to the outside diameter of the 341 pump that is 1.54 inches. I also had to raise the base of the clamp with nylon spacers. It is held in place by an overkill 1/2 inch bolt. That's size of the threaded bolt hole in bottom of the clamp.

IMO the clamp is much better than securing the pump to the metal hanger as suggested by vendor.

Plan to start another thread with complete instructions to install the Racetronix RXP341 in a 98 body from the rails all the way to the pump bulkhead.
What’s the part nimber