Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel level sending unit damaged and low pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Fuel level sending unit damaged and low pressure

So my car takes 2 tries to start after it's been sitting for a few hours. I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator that is inside the bucket with OEM hoping this would fix the issue. Ventri tube was good. I made sure that no hoses were kinked when the springs are compressed, or that any wires are crimped. Buttoned it back up. Turn the key once without starting and the fuel pressure goes to 30 psi, turn key off and back on without starting and fuel pressure goes to 50, try to start and it starts right up. Same problem as before. When it's running at idle right after startup, mechanical gauge on the front of the rail shows 58psi, and electrical gauge (sending unit on the back of that same rail) shows 50 psi. The electrical gauge eventually climbs to 58 after driving.

So instead of fixing the issue, I now created another issue. I now have the "check gauges" light and my factory fuel level gauge is showing empty. It should be reading half full. Now I have to pull the damn float out and replace that/inspect the fuel level sending unit. Time to buy ebay #130695478258 to have it on hand. I don't see how it could have been damaged during uninstall and install. I was careful.

So what causes the fuel pressure to only climb to 30 after turning the car on? Not enough power getting to the pump to bring the pressure to 58? Something else?
Old 07-27-2018, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Update... the check valve inside the racetronix pump went bad. Installed a new racetronix pump and it starts first try.

Done and done

Quick Reply: Fuel level sending unit damaged and low pressure