Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Biggest fuel pump that doesn't overpower Vette regulator/filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

The Corvette regulator regulates to 58psi. You don't "tune" a regulator like this. It's a very simple component.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Only vacuum referenced regulators use a "flat" ifr.
The rest have to be scaled.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

Tech@ws6store, after reading this I believe I'll be calling tomorrow to order pump/hot wire kit/Vette regulator for my thirsty f body.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Only vacuum referenced regulators use a "flat" ifr.
The rest have to be scaled.
All i needed to know. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
Tech@ws6store, after reading this I believe I'll be calling tomorrow to order pump/hot wire kit/Vette regulator for my thirsty f body.
Sounds good!!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the reply !!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not intending to hijack here learned alot, Wondering about the upgraded bulkhead for the 98, and what FPR you would use for a 98 boosted app w/7875 turbo 80lb Dekas. I got the RaceTronix 255 and hotwire kit about a year ago before i got the turbo kit and have not installed it yet, got the Huron Seed kit on now and honestly would like to do a 1 and done pump deal if possible since the ls1 will come out soon. Swapping in a 6.0 or 5.3 as Im not interested in blowing it up (only 80 thousand on it) and it will go in my C3 Vette. IDC which pump and regulator an AEM 320/380/400 or Walbro 450 whatever will get me in the 700-800hp range will be all i intend on needing, that should be enough for 9 sec passes If I ever work up to that. I know the 255 will not get me there.
Should I just do a second pump at this point? Seems overkill and more complicated, The cost of the 255 pump at this point means nothing as far as simplicity and just beign done with it for the future since I will be dropping the tank not hacking a hole. Would gladly take a pm so as not to clog OP.

Last edited by TT427; 04-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any thoughts on the DW300 with the C5 filter/regulator?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Guys, instead of just finding pumps with numbers in their names, look at their fuel curves and output vs volts/amps. Help yourselves make an informed decision.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Guys, instead of just finding pumps with numbers in their names, look at their fuel curves and output vs volts/amps. Help yourselves make an informed decision.
I did, I have looked at just about every relevant test/chart published from about 2011 or 2014 on. What do you think I just pull "numbers" out of the air? It appears to be the highest flowing "340" pump out there that stays under 14 amps @58psi. Just wondering how it would suit the Vette regulator/filter upgrade... Then i think why not just run a 380/400 in tank, a real regulator on the end of a good filter at the same position you put the C5 upgrade and run a real 3/8 return from there. Would maybe need to add an AN bulkhead to the lid... Seems like a pretty straight forward setup and could use the cheap racetronix regulator you have. You already have the the basis of the system in place, Im just wondering/exploring how it could be improved with a little more money and a little more effort. Especially since their is conflicting evidence of the Vette regulator truly being a problem solver...

Last edited by TT427; 04-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TT427
I did, I have looked at just about every relevant test/chart published from about 2011 or 2014 on. What do you think I just pull "numbers" out of the air? It appears to be the highest flowing "340" pump out there that stays under 14 amps @58psi. Just wondering how it would suit the Vette regulator/filter upgrade... Then i think why not just run a 380/400 in tank, a real regulator on the end of a good filter at the same position you put the C5 upgrade and run a real 3/8 return from there. Would maybe need to add an AN bulkhead to the lid... Seems like a pretty straight forward setup and could use the cheap racetronix regulator you have. You already have the the basis of the system in place, Im just wondering/exploring how it could be improved with a little more money and a little more effort. Especially since their is conflicting evidence of the Vette regulator truly being a problem solver...
The Racetronix T-series pumps are the only HP pumps on the market which support the venturi / jet pump system in late-model fuel system modules.
If you run a DW, AM or any other brand you will have to hack your module and give up the functionality the factory engineers built into it.
All 3xx LPH pumps draw similar power. Our f-body wiring upgrade (FPWK-017W) provides support for up to 28 amps so +/- a few amps will not make a difference.

Bigger pumps are not better. They draw more power and put more heat into the fuel. Rule of thumb is to design a fuel system to support minimum 25% more than the motor requires for safety.
If your pump is on the ragged edge where you have to worry about a few LPH then it would be wise to consider a staged dual pump system over a single high-flow pump.

The C5 reg/filter is a simple inexpensive fix for the undersized regulator built into the factory module. Dedicated lines with a front-mount regulator and rails are better but those may not be in the budget or necessary for some customers.

Our regulator is inexpensive relative to some other brands who overcharge but they are high-quality parts.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-23-2019, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Racetronix
The Racetronix T-series pumps are the only HP pumps on the market which support the venturi / jet pump system in late-model fuel system modules.
If you run a DW, AM or any other brand you will have to hack your module and give up the functionality the factory engineers built into it.
All 3xx LPH pumps draw similar power. Our f-body wiring upgrade (FPWK-017W) provides support for up to 28 amps so +/- a few amps will not make a difference.

Bigger pumps are not better. They draw more power and put more heat into the fuel. Rule of thumb is to design a fuel system to support minimum 25% more than the motor requires for safety.
If your pump is on the ragged edge where you have to worry about a few LPH then it would be wise to consider a staged dual pump system over a single high-flow pump.

The C5 reg/filter is a simple inexpensive fix for the undersized regulator built into the factory module. Dedicated lines with a front-mount regulator and rails are better but those may not be in the budget or necessary for some customers.

Our regulator is inexpensive relative to some other brands who overcharge but they are high-quality parts.
I have a 98, don't want to get out of hand/overkill with dual pumps and cost of wiring, or the uncertainty of the C5 upgrade and possibly high pressure and short pump life, that's why I'm asking questions. My intention was not to hijack OP thread but at least further discussion relating to the C5 upgrade and higher output pumps. Saying that, I can only go by the fuel charts and test I can find. Nothing wrong with your pump and C5 upgrade but the dw300 in latest test I saw from Realstreet 2018 was about 45lph better than an AM/RT 340 pump and as far as I can tell the amp draw is almost an amp less @60psi going off your flow chart, DW flow chart and Realstreets test results.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

How fast should the fuel gauge drop when you turn the car off. Mine drops right away, should it just bleed off slowly?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

EXCELLENT FEEDBACK! FINALLY LOL.

But seriously thank you for letting us know, and keep us updated on any more gains!!

Looking to get a smaller pulley to reach 12 psi. What are your thoughts on adding a boost-a-pump with my fuel setup? (Racetronix 340 fp/hotwire kit/c5 fuel filter and regulator kit/80 lb injectors).
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That pump will outflow the stock lines so adding a bap wont help there youd only make a bottleneck.
Try it as is and see how it works.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi - sorry to dig up an old thread but hoping some of you guys are still subscribed. Having issues with high fuel pressure after a walbro 255 and larger braided line. I also added a Racetronics harness. The reason for all this is that the flow would fall off at high RPM and I couldn't complete a dyno run (LS3 TSP cam, stock injectors and rail). I replaced and checked everything but I think the harness should have been my first stop. Regardless, with all the new stuff I'm at 75-80psi at the rail at idle (up from 70ish before the harness). After reading this it's likely I'm overpowering the FPR? I've already confirmed there's no obstruction in the stock FPR return. I'll try a bypass with a larger return line to see if the pressure drops. Will running at 75psi destroy anything? This is a track car so it sees high RPMs all day.