Notices
Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure gauge install ls1 rails

Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Restricted User

I remove the Schrader valves in the stock rails and put a gauge on them all of the time.
That's where I log fuel pressure from in all of my cars, and where my mechanical gauge is setup in my fuel injector flow bench.

Sometimes the valves don't come out so easy. I've had to use a flat head and a hammer to knock them loose when they got stuck.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
I remove the Schrader valves in the stock rails and put a gauge on them all of the time.
That's where I log fuel pressure from in all of my cars, and where my mechanical gauge is setup in my fuel injector flow bench.

Sometimes the valves don't come out so easy. I've had to use a flat head and a hammer to knock them loose when they got stuck.
ok, I'll try it again and see if I can get it.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post

are you removing just the valvestem?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Restricted User

Really small needle nose pliers help once its at the end of the threads.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Drj8787 View Post

are you removing just the valvestem?
Just the core, yeah. Then I use a -4 AN to 1/8" NPT adapter like the OP has, and thread either a mechanical gauge or pressure sensor into it.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need to buy a kit, although for long term use it's nice to have your own.

Get a loaner kit from Advance Auto or AutoZone for temporary use to diagnose. They loan it to you for free.

Whether you attach the gauge to the rail or attach a sender on the rail leading to a remote gauge in the cabin, there is always the risk for leaks. Maybe more so perhaps with a gauge because of weight of gauge vs a sending unit. If you use a sealant other than tape, it's not likely to leak. I've had good luck with this sealant. Use sparingly.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptx-59214?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-permatex&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJaXt_mD3wIVzLbACh2czgI yEAQYAyABEgLcefD_BwE

IMO, inexpensive liquid filled gauges aren't as accurate if installed permanently in the engine bay because they heat soak causing the liquid to heat and expand. The more expensive liquid filled gauges have a vent to release the pressure. So for accuracy it's probably best to install a sending unit on the rail and install the gauge in the cabin.

Otherwise just check pressure periodically with a removable gauge. Or check pressure when the liquid filled gauge is ambient and not heat soaked if installed permanently in the engine bay.

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...-Filled-vs-Dry

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-03-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

So I got the stem out, and this is what I got.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

This is the fuel pump my mechanic put on, he told me the car was running rich.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Another view
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

That just means you're getting plenty of fuel, but the regulator isn't doing its job as you are getting 80psi instead of approx. 60 (58 is spec). So yeah, with a tune for normal pressure you would be running rich at 80psi.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well thatís good and bad. Glad you have fuel but now you still have to figure out why itís not starting. Do you have hp turners or something to log with? Are you getting fire?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that a C5 fuel filter/regulator?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

It's a walboro 160 pump, the mechanic said the filter is the corvette one with the regulator built in for the C5. He was maybe thinking a defective filter.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Launching!

The C5 unit is a fuel filter/regulator combo. Since youíre seeing 80# at the rail either the regulator is bad or the pump discharge is overpowering it. If itís anything other than ac Delco or wix, I would start by trying a different filter/regulator.

My guess is the reason your car is having trouble starting is because itís flooded. I would recommend removing the spark plugs to let them dry off. You can also disconnect the injector harnesses and turn the engine over to help get any raw fuel out while the plugs are out too. And check the engine oil to make sure itís not diluted with gas. Itíll wipe bearings out quick if it is.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

I'll try to pull the plugs tomorrow, this winter weather kind of limits me from moving the car, lol. I'm planning on changing the oil too before running it to much.. Btw, dont know if this means anything, but the buzzing from the pump is very loud. And thank you everyone for your help.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

On a stock LS1, holding the accelerator pedal to the floor stops the injectors from opening while attempting to start. This will clear the cylinders of excess fuel/flooding.

However ,since yours is a transplant, don't know if that still applies.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-06-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28 View Post
On a stock LS1, holding the accelerator pedal to the floor stops the injectors from opening while attempting to start. This will clear the cylinders of excess fuel/flooding.

However ,since yours is a transplant, don't know if that still applies.
Yeah its programmed into the PCM. Unless its been changed in the tune, its still there.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: