Notices
Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lonnie's dual pump setup

Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM
8 Second Club

Default Lonnie's dual pump setup

Bought this kit from a guy that had it on a GM 3800 car for 6 months..Was building a Impala and the build has fell apart..Was wondering if you guys could help me to see if this bucket/wiring will work on a LS1 car?

Any help is greatly appreciated..
Old 12-31-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a nice setup. I don't do the F-Body scene, so I can't help much on that front, but it should almost drop right in. If it were mine, I would probably put it in a F-Body specific bucket so the sender is correct, but other than that, it should just be a matter of getting the wires to the correct locations. But if not, sell it to me.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
8 Second Club

It is for sale..Have a -8 feed and -6 return and 80# seimens injectors to go with it also..I have 1250 in it all,with rails for a 3800..

Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The model year of your fbody might make a difference or perhaps not dependent on how Lonnie's kit powers the two pumps and how it adapts to your model year fbody.

On a 98 the yellow bulkhead connector doesn't won't supply enough power for two pumps except for 255/225 lph pumps. The bulkhead connector on the 99-2002 models WILL if it is upgraded to the 150/280 bulkhead connector that supports pumps up to 30 amps. Each of these scenarios is moot if the kit bypasses either bulkhead connector regardless of model year.

If you have a 98 and the yellow bulkhead connector is used in your kit, each terminal supports up to 14 amps, which is sufficient for pumps drawing 14 amps or less.

For the stock 98 configuration, one of the four terminals on the bulkhead connector powers the single stock pump. One terminal is used for ground. The remaining two are for the fuel sender.

Racetronix changed that configuration instead on the 98 kit. With the 98 kit, two of the four terminals power two pumps. Each pump is powered from a single terminal of the four (up to 14 amps each). The remaining two terminals power the two purple wires for the sender. To handle the ground for each of the pumps, a grounding post is added to the metal (98 only) fuel sender module. The ground from each pump is connected to the ground post. All moot of course if the pumps are wired differently with your kit.

On the 99-2002 models the two pumps could be wired the same way as the 98 kit. However, the stock bulkhead connector must be upgraded with a 280/150 bulkhead connector. On the upgraded version, the two largest terminals of the four support up to 30 amps each allowing one to run larger pumps that require more than 14 amps(two 340 or 450's for example).

It appears that your harness kits contains two harness's like the 98 kit in pic below each with it's own relay. Each harness powers a single pump. A Hobbs switch powers one pump or the other for boost. For now red is primary pump and blue is second pump.

Can't tell from your pics, but my 98 Racetronix 510 lph dual pump kit contains two short connectors that allow me to switch the primary and secondary pumps by simply switching the Hobbs harness from one to the other or not and/or run both pumps simultaneously. In pic below red is for the primary pump that completes the circuit for harness one and blue is the second pump with a short harness leading to the Hobbs switch from harness two (blue).

The Hobbs switch harness can be changed from one harness to the other simply by switching the plugs on the end of each harness - might help to get more useful life if one periodically switches the primary and secondary pumps and/or one fails.

How your kit wires into the bulkhead connector aft of the driver side rear seat might require some changes. Same for the purple fuel sender wires. I am familiar with the 98 kit, I understand the 99 kit is different inside the tank and that the stock wiring harness might be different as well. On the 98 the purple sender wires are NOT polar specific.

IMO, it looks like it might adapt fairly easy to the fbody dependent upon how the power is wired from each harness to each pump and whether it uses the stock bulkhhead connector and/or an upgraded 280/150 connector.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 01-02-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Thank you for the info sir..

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: