Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

need more fuel, convert fbody to AN braided fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more fuel, convert fbody to AN braided fuel lines?

Okay...

I've been driving myself crazy for days trying to figure out how this works. So here is the deal. I have the lonnies double pumper setup in my 99 trans am. Car is currently a d1sc procharged 347 and I need more fuel since I'm turning the boost up with a new f1a94 procharger now, I've already converted the stock lines to a return system and need more, I want to go -8an feed and return. I can not for the life of me find what adapters I need to convert ALL the lines to -8an PTFE braided lines both feed and return. If anyone can point me in the direction of the correct adapters to connect to the fuel basket as well as any suggestions on brands of line and compatible -8an fuel filters and whatever else I may need, I would greatly appreciate it. I currently already have holley rails and an aeromotive regulator so those *should* be easy to convert to -8an. I'm looking to do the whole system as braided lines, no hard lines, or is this a bad idea? Am I totally on the wrong track here? Car is already over 700 at the wheels with the d1 so im looking to go about 800ish at the wheels with the f1a94 while i build my 408 in the meantime. So the fuel system will have to be good to 1000ish which is the goal once the 408 is in. Any and all help you can offer would be nice!

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldnt convert a damn thing. I'd rip every piece of stock hose out of the car and plumb new stuff! 1000hp fuel system has nothing stock left but the gas tank.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

When I build cars,, I use hardline end to end and the braided stuff is saved for the last bit where flex is needed.

Braided line has about a 2 to 3 year life expectancy on average, and at the 2 to 5 dollar a foot cost I
don't really want to by 30 feet every couple years. Exotic Race gas can be very very hard on PTFE or other
plastics and rubber as well.

The hard line is about 1/3 the cost and you can get it in stainless or Aluminum. I use AL pillow
blocks about every 16" to carry the line down the side of the frame or to the body just inboard of the unibody
frame keeping it out of the passenger compartment for tech legality in most racing venues.
Oh and 7/8 hardline weighs about half what the equivalent Braided line does.. Hey its a lb or two right ??

I've worked around racing for about 30 years, seen way too many fires caused by bad
hose/fittings/incorrect hose choices etc..
Old 02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

All braided lines here, dig up all the pictures you can find on how others ran lines along the underbody. If you intend to track it then pay extra attention how the lines run in/out of the engine bay in relation to the bellhousing.
Hooking up the push-lock adapters to fuel top hat without dropping the tank sucks but it can be done. If you delete emissions stuff on top of the tank, be sure to keep a breather filter on one of the lines above full fuel line.

Feeding a 408 with an F1 should require -10 feed with -8 return. Magnafuel inline filter is pretty easy to take apart for cleaning.
I'd recommend feeding fuel rails in parallel like this..

Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
When I build cars,, I use hardline end to end and the braided stuff is saved for the last bit where flex is needed.

Braided line has about a 2 to 3 year life expectancy on average, and at the 2 to 5 dollar a foot cost I
don't really want to by 30 feet every couple years. Exotic Race gas can be very very hard on PTFE or other

The hard line is about 1/3 the cost and you can get it in stainless or Aluminum. I use AL pillow
blocks about every 16" to carry the line down the side of the frame or to the body just inboard of the unibody
frame keeping it out of the passenger compartment for tech legality in most racing venues.
Oh and 7/8 hardline weighs about half what the equivalent Braided line does.. Hey its a lb or two right ??

I've worked around racing for about 30 years, seen way too many fires caused by bad
How many hours does it take to plumb new hard lines on a typical fbody?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I wouldnt convert a damn thing. I'd rip every piece of stock hose out of the car and plumb new stuff! 1000hp fuel system has nothing stock left but the gas tank.
Good advice

Good advice
Originally Posted by imma_stocker
How many hours does it take to plumb new hard lines on a typical fbody?
it wouldn't be to bad to do cayse he has the stock fcar line there. Lay it out and duplicate it.

Using braided line for the entire thing is bad advice. It's sloppy, heavy and it won't last.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm...

Thank you all for the insight. I was afraid of the answers. I'm totally fine with building new engines, but fueling scares me haha. Would any of you agree that maybe I just stick with the stock lines (with return) that I have already and run the f1a94 on my 347? Then tear the whole car apart for all new fuel lines when the 408 is ready to go in next year? I've seen other threads on ls1tech talk about how stock lines and deka 80s hold 800hp all day? I don't know how much truth there is to this.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 AM
Teching In

What type of fuel are you running through your line that it only lasts 2-3yrs (or are you using cheap garbage like summit/russel/etc.?)

I plumbed my first car back in 2005 with aeroquip stainless braided line and all the fuel lines are 100% leak free still. I switched from working with stainless braided to starlite back in 2010 and those lines are also all fine still.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snapdude
hmmm...

Thank you all for the insight. I was afraid of the answers. I'm totally fine with building new engines, but fueling scares me haha. Would any of you agree that maybe I just stick with the stock lines (with return) that I have already and run the f1a94 on my 347? Then tear the whole car apart for all new fuel lines when the 408 is ready to go in next year? I've seen other threads on ls1tech talk about how stock lines and deka 80s hold 800hp all day? I don't know how much truth there is to this.
Boosted motors don't care about cubic inches as much as max boost, total cfm, and fuel type. 800hp is 800hp. And "800hp all day" is subjective... are they track cars that live at 800hp or daily drivers that tap into it every now and then?
Here's what I mean. F1A is a 900hp supercharger, whether you push 8 psi through a 408 or 16 psi through a 347 it still takes the same amount of fuel. What does change is fuel pressure rise with boost, so you need a compatible FPR, pump(s) that can keep up, and big enough supply lines with injectors to maintain adequate flow.

Another option is to run a new feed line then use adapters to convert stock feed line as your return. I can't remember what AN equivalent that line is though. Whatever it is, you'll only need to run 1 line from tank to engine bay.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I am new to this site .. Too bad they don't have a thumbs up button ..
Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default starving for fuel

My '79 Z-28 Camaro was starving for fuel with a 110 HP Nitro-us kit ,,, I replaced the stock high Volume mechanical pump on the engine with a Holley electric pump ..

First I found a kink in the steel line coming out of the gas tank .. This helped a lot .. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the cowl It fell down to like 3 psi .. Turns out the Holley Electric pump has less volume than the stock pump that had a return line to tank along with a charcoal Canister .. turns out I would have been better off to leave it stock .. Now I need to start fresh and install a high pressure system for an LS on E-85.. at least I learned the hard way when I was 19 years old what not to do ..

Plus now days I make my own Hy pressure Hydraulic hoses with Weatherhead system now owned by Eaton .. I do make 1/4" Braided stainless Teflon need to get the dies for 3/8" I guess..
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Snow Meth

hmmm...

You are never supposed to use 100% Meth is it flammable 50% Water 50% Meth
Old 02-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MarkZ281979
You are never supposed to use 100% Meth is it flammable 50% Water 50% Meth
100% meth is fine if you have it properly run and maintained. lots of high hp cars use 100%. 50/50 didnt work well for me.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

My STI runs 100% methanol without issues. Local buddy also ran 100% methanol and almost burned down his car when a line got brittle and sprayed all over his turbo... no issues since running new lines away from heat sources.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default Holley fuel pump in OEM Tank

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-304

Holley sells a new Fuel tank for $121.00 It replaces your stoke lines and gas level sender says it's a 21 gallon tank ..

Also it has a sock that works as a 30 micron filter and also can supposedly suck the last drops out of your fuel tank ..
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MarkZ281979
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-304

Holley sells a new Fuel tank for $121.00 It replaces your stoke lines and gas level sender says it's a 21 gallon tank ..

Also it has a sock that works as a 30 micron filter and also can supposedly suck the last drops out of your fuel tank ..

That is only for 70-83 F body.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default Holly sells Gas Tanks for about any Muscle Car

That is only for 70-83 F body.
Here is a Holley Hydramat in an off road race truck

Here is a Video Demonstration of a high volume Hydramat

Flex Fuel Conversion Kit

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=4184132452379
I am working on a 79 Camaro and I sent a link to one page.. They sell a fuel tanks for about any Muscle car you can imagine .. I am working on "Putting an LS motor and T-56 Trans in a Second Generation F Body as per my 1979 Z-28 Camaro .. So I posted a link to the page I had been looking at and posted on a thread I made about 2nd Generation F bodies.. The 30 micron sock on the pick up is a very cool.set up .. They are using a larger version in fuel cells on race Trucks and in NASCAR ...

Also Holley posted a Video testing the fuel pump with a 30 Micron sock in a Fuel Cell in Robby Gordon's Stadium Off Road Race Truck

Last edited by MarkZ281979; 02-15-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The term "braided" means **** all.

PTFE lines should easily outlast the car.

Spurious rubber hoses....impossible to say. OEM quality should easily last 20+ years. Cheap crap could be 2-3 years, and I've seen some "braided" rubber based hoses leak throughout in very short time periods. Which is utterly ridiculous really.
I would never ever use a rubber based hose where the actual rubber is not visible.
Far too many people see shiny stainless braided hose and think that's a wonderful thing...without a clue it's ***** rubber inside. IMO Never use that type of hose.

Braided only refers to outer covering, nothing more.

And after having some alloy Russell hardline go bad, I would also never choose to use Alu based hardline either.

PTFE all the way.