Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Holley Sniper on a LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Holley Sniper on a LQ9

I know what some of you are thinking. Why would you convert a multi port fuel injected engine over to a carburetor and then back to a throttle body fuel injection? Well here ya go, I wanted that classic look mainly under the hood in my classic truck. After doing so, I was floored at the performance, reliability and improved mileage over the carburetor. But let’s get down to the brass tax. Some are saying that I should have went with the Holley terminator. I’m not just going to fork over $3k without some research first and if your planning on doing the same thing I suggest you really compare the two. The obvious is the $1,800 difference in price but also the Sniper is rated at 50 horsepower more than the Terminator. Now some of you maybe familiar with STOCK throttle body injection and how much of a dog they are on power. Don’t mistake that with this Sniper system. It’s a four barrel 800 cfm with x 4 100 lbs injectors. This is definitely no dog and in fact I believe in a true test would out perform even port injection. With it’s self tuning it seems like it only gets faster each time I fire it up. I’ve never had enough horsepower to spin my tires at 55 mph but now I can. For the street this is more than enough power.

I can honestly say that after purchasing this Sniper system I am truly happy with this system and also the ease of installation. Not only did I save a ton of money over the Terminator but it will also out perform it.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Everyone has their own taste! Looks great
The following users liked this post:
0352Marine (07-18-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Have a Holley Sniper kit too. Id like to throw mine on an LS as well. I saw on another thread you said you had some issues being that there isn't a distributor. Can you please fill me in on how you remedied any problems and any parts you used to make this work? i.e. wiring harness, gauges etc. Thank you in advance!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Each unit has it's place, The Terminator (Not Terminator X line) Uses the HP or Dominator ECU and has a ton more options as far as controllability and expandability but the sniper is still a decent system. I don't agree with "This is definitely no dog and in fact I believe in a true test would out perform even port injection." And Not only did I save a ton of money over the Terminator but it will also out perform it.
I have experience with almost all of the Holley systems (except the X line) and the Sniper is good for what it is " A budget system" and is limited function wise, If it's capabilities fits your needs then that's what you should buy.
As far as performance an MPFI configuration will always have the potential to make more power and be more efficient while doing it. With a throttle body you have to tune to the leanest or richest cylinder where MPFI allows you to tune each cylinder separately. If you read the plugs and find one or two that need more or less fuel than the other six you can make the correction on just those cylinders and they allow timing per cylinder. The Terminator X systems are just a little more money but are MPFI so wouldn't work for you if you want the carb look.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

You can have the carb look with a carb-style manifold drilled for injectors and use a "dry" TB.
The following users liked this post:
0352Marine (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Each unit has it's place, The Terminator (Not Terminator X line) Uses the HP or Dominator ECU and has a ton more options as far as controllability and expandability but the sniper is still a decent system. I don't agree with "This is definitely no dog and in fact I believe in a true test would out perform even port injection." And Not only did I save a ton of money over the Terminator but it will also out perform it.
I have experience with almost all of the Holley systems (except the X line) and the Sniper is good for what it is " A budget system" and is limited function wise, If it's capabilities fits your needs then that's what you should buy.
As far as performance an MPFI configuration will always have the potential to make more power and be more efficient while doing it. With a throttle body you have to tune to the leanest or richest cylinder where MPFI allows you to tune each cylinder separately. If you read the plugs and find one or two that need more or less fuel than the other six you can make the correction on just those cylinders and they allow timing per cylinder. The Terminator X systems are just a little more money but are MPFI so wouldn't work for you if you want the carb look.
That’s your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Efficiency sure but when I’m building a performance engine I’m not worried about mileage I’m dealing with how much more air can I push through this engine without blowing it.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 0352Marine
That’s your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Efficiency sure but when I’m building a performance engine I’m not worried about mileage I’m dealing with how much more air can I push through this engine without blowing it.
Nothing about that is an opinion.

The Terminator system would greatly outperform the Sniper system in every way except ease of use for carburetor guys. The HP ratings on the kits are because of the injector sizes, with the sniper system coming with larger injectors. Upgrading injectors is easy. The terminator system is exponentially more adjustable than the Sniper. The Sniper kit is a budget "simple" EFI option, not the best performance option. The terminator is more expensive because it is just that much better. The throttle body is even considerably better on the terminator. You went with the lowest cost, easiest to use, and most mild performing of the bunch.

And multi-point EFI will be better than TBI. That shouldn't be a question. A decent 4150 throttle body will flow 1200-1500 CFM and allow sequential individual cylinder fueling for more accuracy and adjustability. The fuel rails won't exactly give it that carb look, but you could probably fool some people.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Joe Nova is right. MPFI trumps TBI every time, and in every way.

Quick Reply: Holley Sniper on a LQ9