Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

02 Fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Fuel pump question

I have a 2002 Camaro and Im pretty sure my fuel pump is toast. It has 86k miles and about a month ago I changed the fuel filter and it was beyond clogged. The day it died it kind of acted a little funky going up an incline like it was it out of gas. That evening I went to start it and it just turns over and over and will not start. Now I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, and I have never been able to hear it priming so I disconnected the incoming line into the fuel filter and had a friend turn the key on and try to crank and no fuel came out of the lines. So after a lot of researching on here I am going to go ahead and cut an access hole to replace it, my one question is I am finding that these 4th gen pumps come with the whole assembly including the strainer, sending unit and pump for between 3 and $500. I don't believe I need the whole assembly and have found just the pump for around 70 or so. I have also had a friend who changed his and he said the only problem he had was getting the accordian like line off of the actual pump but he said applying a little heat to it will help it come off without damaging it and then using a hose clamp to reattach. Has anyone tried this and been sucessful? I would really like to save that 400 and just but the pump but I don't want to regret it later. haha. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stumbled upon this the other week:

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PM-001&eq=&Tp=

Fir $110 you can't go wrong, the entire assembly!