Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

In Line Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Line Fuel pump?

I new to this board but I heard if I have any questions I can ask on here. So here is the situation I am currently putting an STS turbo system on my car which is a 2001 Trans Am. I got the base model kit basically with the 60-1 Turbo and 42LB injectors and a moderate custom tune from Nelson performance. STS says that my stock fuel pump will keep up, But honestly I along with some of my mechanic friends dont believe them. SO i am looking for a good inline fuel pump or booster. I was just wondering if anyone has some experience with this system? My friend has the same system and has been running on 10LBS of boost with just the stock pump and has not come close to running lean, But I want to safe guard myself. I will only be running 5LBS. Any help on where to get a good inline pump and for reasonable price would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostBandit
I new to this board but I heard if I have any questions I can ask on here. So here is the situation I am currently putting an STS turbo system on my car which is a 2001 Trans Am. I got the base model kit basically with the 60-1 Turbo and 42LB injectors and a moderate custom tune from Nelson performance. STS says that my stock fuel pump will keep up, But honestly I along with some of my mechanic friends dont believe them. SO i am looking for a good inline fuel pump or booster. I was just wondering if anyone has some experience with this system? My friend has the same system and has been running on 10LBS of boost with just the stock pump and has not come close to running lean, But I want to safe guard myself. I will only be running 5LBS. Any help on where to get a good inline pump and for reasonable price would be great. Thanks!
Many people change the intank pump for a Walbro, delivers more fuel than stock. A discussion on Inline Vs Intank can be found in this link...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...Walbro+install

It would be a good idea to make an access hatch in your trunk to get to the intank pump.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot for the input, so an access hatch is a good i dea its just getting enough courage to do that to my car..LOL. But if I decide to go with an inline what would you suggest as far as size and brand?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 255 Walbro inline fuel pump with my procharger along with th 42# injectors and I have no problems. I would go with something like that.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

That is the same setup my friend has on his procharged 383 and he has no problems either he is the one who recomonded it. STS said I dont need one at 5LBS but i want to safe guard, Its like GM said I did not need a tranny cooler but I put one on just to be safe. How much did it run to get the inline walbro and where did you get it?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostBandit
Thanks alot for the input, so an access hatch is a good i dea its just getting enough courage to do that to my car..LOL. But if I decide to go with an inline what would you suggest as far as size and brand?
I went for the intank option as my stock one was on its way out anyway. I got all my fueling set up for a supercharger but not yet done it. I would recommend the access hatch rather than dropping the rear axel and tank to get at the pump. It is simple, now I cant get he pump out and back in about 25mins. I have needed to gt in there 3 times now. You think you wont ever need to go back in but some times you need to.

I dont have any experience with an inline pump, so I can only talk about my experiences with an intank pump.

The one i got was the Walbro 255lb/hr intank pump.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The inline Walbro pump ran me $150 for the kit. I purchased it at Speed Inc. Your in tank fuel pump will be fine with the boost you want to run. But if you decide to up the boost I would do a in tank. I have the 355 In tank pump and I am running 12 LBS of boost at WOT without problems. They are good pumps.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys thanks alot that sounds great. I have bought alot of stuff from speed Inc already in the past so I guess I will order one soon before the STS gets here. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

ok guys here is the deal. Speed inc did not even send me my whole kit for my inline pump. So will I be ok running 5LBS with just my stock pump without an in line pump with 42# injectors until I get the right kit? Thnks for the help
Old 04-13-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be fine with that amount of boost for now. I would call up Speed Inc and complain, and have thm send you the rest of your kit! I dont think they should have a problem with that.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blown 346
You should be fine with that amount of boost for now. I would call up Speed Inc and complain, and have thm send you the rest of your kit! I dont think they should have a problem with that.
Yeah I am going to I hardly got anything in my dang kit and it came in some cheap zip lock bag! I will I had one other problem with them before. But thanks for the input I will go ahead and put the kit on, change the fuel filter and then put the in line on when they send me the rest of the kit. Thanks again blown 346