Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E-85 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-85 conversion

Would anybody know how you could go about converting an LT1 or LS1 to be able to take E-85 fuel. I do know that these engines can take about 10% ethanol but what about 85%. or is it just impossible to do?

This may be in the wrong section but if anyone has any knowlege about this type of stuff replies would be great.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oifish
Would anybody know how you could go about converting an LT1 or LS1 to be able to take E-85 fuel. I do know that these engines can take about 10% ethanol but what about 85%. or is it just impossible to do?

This may be in the wrong section but if anyone has any knowlege about this type of stuff replies would be great.

Thanks.

It'd be a lot of work. From what I've heard/understand, most of the fuel system would have to be stainless since ethanol will eat through steel and certain rubber/plastic. You'd have to totally retune the fuel map since ethanol is not as efficient as gasoline. Your gas mileage will obviously suffer even if you did do the conversion, and the price of ethanol is too high right now to justify making the switch. Until the price of ethanol is WAY cheaper than gasoline, I don't see it being very successful. JMO
Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Teching In

The good news is E-85 is 115 octane. It doesn't burn as hot as gas so your car would have to be programmed to burn more fuel to make up for it. Mileage will decrease 15% but raising the compression to 14:1 or so it will get it back. E-85 doesn't eat through any metal or rubber seals in the fuel system.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

I wanted to know because here in Indiana we are building (I think) 3 or so ethanol refineries, I don’t think I would care about the dump in mileage, cause it would be soooo cool to go to OPEC, and be able to have a renewable energy source so we wouldn’t be dependent on other countries. (sorry if I sounded green in the last sentence)
Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Globalpack
The good news is E-85 is 115 octane. It doesn't burn as hot as gas so your car would have to be programmed to burn more fuel to make up for it. Mileage will decrease 15% but raising the compression to 14:1 or so it will get it back. E-85 doesn't eat through any metal or rubber seals in the fuel system.
dont know where u got ur info but u r completely wrong. ethanol will eat the **** out of the lines, rail, and its not very nice to the injectors either. aside from that, GM recommends u change the oil on an E85 car every 1500 miles. i go to school for this kind of stuff so i can sit here and tell u in complete confidence that ethanol is death for regular gasoline engines and most of their components. the E85 cars have their lines and rails made out of slightly different material which is why they can run it. it would be a waste of time to convert over to E85 fuel. u might as well buy a whole new car. ive seen plenty of cars now come in with torn up rails. right where the rails bend the ethanol will start to eat it. same with the lines. this usually happens when people get their gas from stations that have 10% ethanol and always put 10 bux in. think about it, if ur not using a whole tank every time and refilling it every time, u no longer have 10% ethanol in ur fuel system, uve got a lot more. and thats no good on regular cars.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I am waiting for is Ethanol (E85) capable vehicles to come out from the factory, no conversions required. That way the fuel system, engine components, compression ratio, and ECU would all be designed to properly run on E85. With everything being designed around that, it could probably make just as much power as a similarly sized gasoline engine while achieving the same MPG figures and reducing our dependance on oil, which is always a good thing.

Then people wouldn't have to feel guilty about driving around gas guzzling SUV's and trucks, because we would be using a renewable fuel and supporting our own economy since its produced here in the states
Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
What I am waiting for is Ethanol (E85) capable vehicles to come out from the factory, no conversions required. That way the fuel system, engine components, compression ratio, and ECU would all be designed to properly run on E85. With everything being designed around that, it could probably make just as much power as a similarly sized gasoline engine while achieving the same MPG figures and reducing our dependance on oil, which is always a good thing.

Then people wouldn't have to feel guilty about driving around gas guzzling SUV's and trucks, because we would be using a renewable fuel and supporting our own economy since its produced here in the states

I thought that the GM cars with "Flex Fuel" were based around E-85 and they got the same preformance figures as normal cars.

and it would be amazing to be to have a renewable energy source, and have our economy grow because of that. (another green statement)
Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I will do some research tomorrow on this.

My reading said that E85 will require more injector.

There is a thread on www.turbomustangs.com about making 1000rwhp with E85. I have thought about tuning my Formula for E85.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oifish
I thought that the GM cars with "Flex Fuel" were based around E-85 and they got the same preformance figures as normal cars.

and it would be amazing to be to have a renewable energy source, and have our economy grow because of that. (another green statement)
I believe you are correct, but I think the Flex Fuel cars still lose some power and fuel economy when run on E85 as opposed to regular gasoline.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Default reply

I work at a ethanol plant in KY and I can tell you first hand that you will LOSE 3-5 miles per gallon if you run e-85. Alot of people here in non flex fuel vehicles mix it 50/50 with 93 octane and they say that their car or truck runs better and it doesn't hurt the mileage.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Syxx613
dont know where u got ur info but u r completely wrong. ethanol will eat the **** out of the lines, rail, and its not very nice to the injectors either. aside from that, GM recommends u change the oil on an E85 car every 1500 miles. i go to school for this kind of stuff so i can sit here and tell u in complete confidence that ethanol is death for regular gasoline engines and most of their components. the E85 cars have their lines and rails made out of slightly different material which is why they can run it. it would be a waste of time to convert over to E85 fuel. u might as well buy a whole new car. ive seen plenty of cars now come in with torn up rails. right where the rails bend the ethanol will start to eat it. same with the lines. this usually happens when people get their gas from stations that have 10% ethanol and always put 10 bux in. think about it, if ur not using a whole tank every time and refilling it every time, u no longer have 10% ethanol in ur fuel system, uve got a lot more. and thats no good on regular cars.
no offense, but i don't believe most of what you typed.
i think everyone would like some facts to back it up.

i have only read that there is some concern with brass parts, and that you should change your fuel filter after the first tank since it will definitely break loose any deposits in your system (same with any fuel system cleaner)

i read that you will need more pump and more injector and have a mileage drop. If your car needs more octane, or you need more money in your pocket, it is an investment worth looking into. All I need is for places near me to sell it before I run it.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Ethanol is corrsive to some parts in a gasoline fuel system. Some parts will need to be changed to stainless steel or a more durable type of plastic.
Ethanol A/F ratio is much richer than gasoline tuning is different. MPG will go down on a normal gas engine converted to E85.
Only way it is going to be really worth it is if you are going to run lots of boost and use the 115 octane rating of ethanol to your advantage or if e85 prices drop below gasoline.
It is do able and would be interesting to do but not so cost effective yet.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

do you know that regular gasoline that you are allready buying has as much as 15% ethanol in it? uh oh what about your fuel system!

methanol is corrosive
Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

my parents have a 04 sub with a 5.3 that is flex fuel capable so they are out there. In my 01 s 10 i ran e-85 and the mileage dropped from 19 mpg to 13-14 mpg inn a 4 banger no justification other than to spite opec.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
7 Second Club

i run methonal (alcohol) in my 509 69 camaro bracket car... dont get Ethanol and methonal mixed up...

alcohol is not good for any street car... corrosive and does not need to sit in a car for any length of time... it builds up a milky substance in the oil pan unless you have a "fume/ pcv" pump to pump it to a external catch can.

ethonal and methonal totally different
Old 04-21-2006, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you guys are confusing Methonal and Ethanol. Methonal is used in you Top Alcohol cars. Yes, it is corrosive to aluminum parts. Ethanol is much more friendly to fuel system components. It will work with factory fuel lines and rubber seals. As far as fuel consumption, you will need at least 25-30% more fuel. You can run more compression and/or boost since the octane rating is higher and better latent heat effect of the ethanol. If you want the website to E85, it is www.e85fuel.com
Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Syxx613
this usually happens when people get their gas from stations that have 10% ethanol and always put 10 bux in. think about it, if ur not using a whole tank every time and refilling it every time, u no longer have 10% ethanol in ur fuel system, uve got a lot more. and thats no good on regular cars.
The amount you put in your tank doesn't change the percentage of the components.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gold Phoenix
OK, you guys are confusing Methonal and Ethanol. Methonal is used in you Top Alcohol cars. Yes, it is corrosive to aluminum parts. Ethanol is much more friendly to fuel system components. It will work with factory fuel lines and rubber seals. As far as fuel consumption, you will need at least 25-30% more fuel. You can run more compression and/or boost since the octane rating is higher and better latent heat effect of the ethanol. If you want the website to E85, it is www.e85fuel.com
I shure hope your right because the oil companys are reformulating the fuel's for more Ethanol in the fuel as we speak.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 05-03-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

in response to my previous post.. i was being sarcastic in the first sentence if anyone didn't know.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ethanol is no where near as corrosive as methanol. Thats a fact. But ethanol still does have some corrosive type properties. It will "dry" out rubber seals if used 100%. Thats why its only an 85% mix.

Quick Reply: E-85 conversion