Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Walbro Installed with Access panel for plastic tanks - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Walbro Installed with Access panel for plastic tanks - PICS

So leaving the tank on the car, cutting the access panel, and removing the FP assembly is fine? What do I have to watch out for when cutting the access panel that close to the gas tank? What did you use to cut it, a Dremel? Any other tips you could give me, as I'm about to tackle this job on my 00'SS here very shortly!
Old 05-03-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if dremel will cut through we use an air cutting tool/wheel.just have to make sure you dont cut the plastic lines going to the pmp.also you might have to disconnect a couple of lines going to the side leading to the fuel filter and the wiring harness.and 1 quick disconnect fuel line just almost in the middle of the tank.after you cut the hole look around in there and you should be to see 1 line with a quick disconnect.also a squire looking box-thats your charcoal cannister for gas fumes.dont have to mess with that.hope that helps.lookover those pics.again in here.good luck.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Okay guys I got the pump out. I figured out where stock FPR was and removed it. Now I'm having a little trouble removing the stock pump.

The accordian style supply pump wont come off. Can I cut it? I'm guessing I replace it with the black fuel hose supplied with the Walbro. But that one wont flex as much. Will this be a problem?

Also, there is a smaller tube coming out of the pump and goes to this black little pick up at the bottom of the cylinder. What is that thing? Do I need it or should I remove it?

My setup looks exactly like Stalker's.

Stalker, quick question. Why did you cut that rectangular hole in the side of the plastic cylinder?

Also am I to assume in splicing the Walbro wires, that black goes to black and red goes to grey?

Any help making the swap would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 05-07-2003, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your right.ditch the accordian looking hose.replace with hose that came with the pmp.

that small looking tube dont need that too.just cut mine.notice the walbro dont have it.

the wires blk to blk.red to gray.

that question you ask about why he cut the rectangle squire.leeme guess so he could slide the walbro from there to go inside the bucket.hope that helps.glad to be of help bro.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay guys I got the pump out. I figured out where stock FPR was and removed it. Now I'm having a little trouble removing the stock pump.

The accordian style supply pump wont come off. Can I cut it? I'm guessing I replace it with the black fuel hose supplied with the Walbro. But that one wont flex as much. Will this be a problem?

Also, there is a smaller tube coming out of the pump and goes to this black little pick up at the bottom of the cylinder. What is that thing? Do I need it or should I remove it?

My setup looks exactly like Stalker's.

Stalker, quick question. Why did you cut that rectangular hole in the side of the plastic cylinder?

Also am I to assume in splicing the Walbro wires, that black goes to black and red goes to grey?

Any help making the swap would be appreciated.

Mike
You can use the rubber hose that came with the Walbro. Trim to fit but remember that the fuel module compresses a bit on install into tank.

The smaller tube is the actual "venturi" pick up. That is what fills the module with fuel, always keeping the pump submerged in fuel. Its like its own internal sump. This is the reason that Racetronix has yet to put out a 99+ set up. They have been trying to figure out how to keep the stock set up.

The rectangular hole was cut to allow fuel to flow into the module for pump cooling. Cant fill the module without the aid of the stock type "venturi" pump so we cut the hole to open it up for fuel to get in.

Black to black and red to gray is correct.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Quick question-

I need to upgrade my in tank and have decided that this is porbably the cheapest way to go. Are you all talking about the 255 pump or the 340 pump in this post? Did you order them with the GM install kit from ramchargers??

Thanks in advance,
Conrad
Old 05-07-2003, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

OK I cut the stock pump open. I'm now gonna grind out the inner sleeve to fit the walbro and that should fit in there pretty snug.

A few questions;

1) Why can't I use some sort of sealant? RTV, silicone, something like that to seal the gap? I'm not sure which chemicals are appropriate for gas and which aren't.

2) I cut the stock FPR completely out of my carrage. So instead of having the return fuel dumping on top of the walbro and it's electronics, I ran a clear vinyl tube(same stuff that comes with the mity vac pumps) through one of the stock holes and into the lower section where the walbro feeds from. Do you guys see any problems with this? Is the vinyl tubing safe for gas?

3) I want to run a wire straight from the battery to the tank. Do you guys just tap the wire on the outside? Also since the batteries voltage is always flucuating, wouldn't this give me inconsistant fuel pressure therefore screwing up my tune?

4) Where do I wire my inline pump up to? Just tap off the same power going to the tank? Do you guys boost reference your inline pump? If so, how did you wire it up and is it better?

I know this is a lot, but I really want to get the fuel finished up today. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Quick Reply: Walbro Installed with Access panel for plastic tanks - PICS