Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

90psi all the time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90psi all the time

My question is does anyone else have this problem. We installed the racetronix plug and play kit and the pump. I am not sure what the fuel pressure was before the install as the gauge was installed the same time. What are your thoughts. Is this bad to run all the time? is it going to cause problems? What is the easiest way to get it back to 60 psi. With out going aftermarket regulator.

Another thing which I have a hard time believeing is, that the wideband is showing 20-1 at idles and 16 at 1/2 throttle. I am pretty sure that the tune is not that far off, so the guy is headed to the dyno today to get an air fuel reading.

Stats of the car
ms4 cam
TSP 1.5 heads
full bolt ons
tune
Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running just the single Walbro setup I don't think that 90psi is even possible. I would suspect that the fuel gage you just installed is reading erroneously. Some of the gages have a adjustable potentiometer used to calibrate the gage to actual pressure (found by using an accurate mechanical gage and adjusting electrical gage to read as mechanical gage).

My stock pressure was around 58 @ idle, I have the Racetronix setup in my one T/A, and the Full Throttle in the other (same Walbro pump), both read around 61 psi @ idle on both a mechanical gage at the fuel rail and my AM electric gage.

As far as WB goes, which brand are you using? Because depending on mfg. - some of them must go thru a calibration procedure when first installed to read correctly (which should be listed in instructions).

Are both the FPG and the WB new or used?

In any event, I suspect both of the gages are reading erroneously. - But you should find out the answer at the tuning shop as they log the values.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

both gauges are brand new. The wideband is a LC1 that was purchased from Dynotune. I was assuming that, that one does need to be calibrated already told my buddy to bring it over tonight so I can hook it up to my laptop.

The Fuel pressure gauge is a dynotune one also. I am not sure about any adjustablity on that one at all. I did not see any that I am aware of. It is a single walbro pump.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Being that the FPG is a Dynotune - they have a great rep and their gages are usually highly accurate. My nitrous pressure gage is within 10ths to being dead on with a research grade mechanical test gage that I used for comparison at work.

Guess anything is possible - could be a bad sending unit - after all, they are made by humans Might want to contact Dean if the results the tuner logs as to fp is not consistant with the gage.

The DT nitrous gage is not adjustable - don't know if the fpg is?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Try another gauge 90 psi sounds a little high.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks for the input there, I know that 90 is really high that is why I was asking if anyone has had this problem. I will contact dean and see what he says
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you think that it could be a problem if the sensor is far back in the exhaust. I think I just read something that it needs to be closer to the headers. is this true? If so i am wondering if that is the problem with the air fuel
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Are you running 2 pumps? and @ the same time ?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

No this is not my car it is a buddys it is the single pump P&P kit
Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Sorry. never ran into that it' sounds like you more pump than return.