Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix Fuel Pump Harness Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racetronix Fuel Pump Harness Evaluation (LT1 kit evaluated)

Just finished my installation this afternoon. I was a little worried, since after you start you are down, but it went pretty smoothly. The bulk of the work is done at the back, moving wires and installing the relay. Once I removed the driver's side wheel, it was easy to get at everything.
You use a paper clip to remove each of 3 wires from their current connector. Once I got the first one figured out, the others were easy to remove.
Note: The relay mounts using an existing bolt. The mounting hole in the relay is too small. Drill or dremel it out or it will not fit.
Running the wiring loom up to the front is easy, but I did not want to go over the transmission as they suggested. I saw no easy way to do it; once I did it I would not be able to tell where it was, etc. So I ran it up the driver's side, to the outside of the steering column. I then ran it along the firewall, just under the weatherstripping, and brought it forward to the alternator, securing it to the A/C line. Much cleaner install, IMO, and it is no where near the exhaust.
They instruct you to secure the fuse box to the alternator mounting bolt. They forget to tell you that the hole in the fuse mount is about 6 sizes too small. If you know this before you start, you can drill it out. I did not, so I tie wrapped mine to the A/C line; it is still accessible and secure.
Lastly, you replace the stock battery bolts with a 2 piece set. They tell you to use 18mm & 12mm wrenches. The actual sizes are 11/16" and 1/2". Not sure why they prevaricated on this one.
All in all, a very nice kit, everything is included and of high quality. They even give you a spare fuse. Install time, minus sitting back and thinking through things, about two hours.

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 07-28-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like the pump kit, Racetronix stuff is always very high quality, which is why we became a stocking dealer

I see your in Indy, if you ever need help with anything, keep us in mind.

Ed
Old 07-28-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

You should note this is for a LT1. You had me baffled as to why you secured it to the AC line on its way to the alternator.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops. Fixed.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just finished mine today as well. I had no problems running the wire loom to the front the way they suggested, I just kept it zip-tied close to the factory wiring and it seems to be plenty out of the way of anything moving/hot.
The one problem I ran into was when I tried mounting the fuse module thingy to the alternator bracket. The wire that you attach to the alternator mounting bolt is major-league too short, so I secured it to the ac lines as the original poster did. And let me just say, getting those stupid wires out of the factory connectors was a major excercise in patience! HOLY CRAP I seriously considered cutting the stupid things and re-soldering some new tangs on the wires! Other than that, an awesome plug and play kit!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry for the mix-up. Normaly the fuse cap and relay holes are the correct size for their intended application as shown in the manual.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<