Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anyone use those TRE 255 fuel pumps off of ebay for $68.00?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use those TRE 255 fuel pumps off of ebay for $68.00?

any good?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about that company, so I don't want to put them down. However, I have heard that China is making Walbro knockoffs, and that the Chinese models have had problems.
TRE does not say where the pump is made, but that price does indicate that it is made in a country with low manufacturing costs.
Best of luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

ya I saw those too mcuh for the extra bucks come on, its worth getting the walbro. For 40-50 more bucks is alot cheaper than an engine
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Bypass valve opens to soon, Much higher current draw than Walbro, lower flow than Walbro. You decide.
Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the technical info, Mike. Usually if something seems too good to be true, it is.
I replaced my fuel pump this year, and I would hate to have to go through that again. I am quite glad that I went with a high quality unit instead of trying to shave a few bucks.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

you get what you pay for i use the Walbro and it works just fine imo
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Just don't do it!

I own three. No problems with the pumps, but forget about decent customer service if they screw up. Here is what happened on the third one:

I'm building a Gen 3 V8 BMW. I had bought two of the pumps for my other cars w/o any problems, so I went back here for this car. The pump was ordered on 10-26 and arrived on 10-31 without the strainer (part that fits on the bottom of the pump).

Here is the relevant text from my build thread here:

Missing from the pic & the box was the fuel strainer. The company was good about it & is sending another strainer, albeit by regular postal mail* from across the country.

Rant
This was their screwup/shortage and the part should have been overnighted. It's not like I have the pump apart & need this ASAP- wait a minute, I do!

UPDATED RANT 11-7-07
I find it incredible that when a company is notified of a problem they fail to address it in a timely manner, and act like it is your fault. Since I still had not received the strainer as of 11-7-07, 11 days after I paid for the pump and 5 days after I had been advised it had been mailed, I followed up with TRE:

I'm really let down by this transaction since as of today's mail I still do not have a strainer. The Post Office says it should that 3 mailing days to go 1st Class Mail from your ZIP to mine, and I allowed an extra day since I am in a rural area.

Since the omission of the strainer from the box was not my fault, I think it would be a better business practice in a situation like this to expedite delivery of the shorted part/parts. I am not a random customer, this is the third pump I have purchased from your company for the seven vehicles I own.

I am offering this information so that you may evaluate the situation so as to prevent it from reoccurring. I am fortunate that this is for a project, so the delay is only irritating. Were this for a daily driven vehicle, it would cause a significant problem for me.

Here is the email response I got today:

The strainer came back like 16 cents too short and went out again
tuesday. These ALWAYS include the parts and are hand packed, so it is
highly unlikely but maybe it wasn't noticed...but I just sent you one
anyways. You will see that on the envelope. We did not ask for money
or proof and just sent the strainer. Most would require all parts to be
sent back, so I would think that is acceptable. I don't know what else
you could have wanted other than the service you got.

Here is my reply:
All I wanted was a complete fuel pump kit as described on your website, which was what I paid for. The pump came Priority Mail, so why couldn't the part that was supposed to be with the pump? Ask me for money? Why? I already paid for it. You want proof? I have a 7+ page build thread on this car that is updated daily and I photograph the work I am doing, which includes the parts I receive. Here is your proof (see post #123 on this page):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showth...=768900&page=7

Check my trader rating on LS1tech- I don't rip people off even when others have ripped me off. Think about this- if I was out to scam you, why would I buy two pumps w/o any issue and then try & pull a fast one on the third?

Now you are telling me there is another delay and I won't have the part until the weekend. I'd love to send it back to you, but I need to get this part of the project done seeing as how the pump has been out of the car since October 26 when I ordered your pump. That was 11 days ago and I have already wired/plumbed the car's pump wiring/fittings for use of this pump.

Thanks for the reply. I'll pass this information along on my build threads and will shop elsewhere for any future needs.

BASED ON THIS INFORMATION, I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH TRE PERFORMANCE AGAIN.

/Rant

Attitude is everything, and service after the sale(s) is/are up there also. I'm replying in this thread for others in the future that search for info on TRE fuel pumps.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ive had my TRE in for over a year and no probs. untill recently. tons of fuel, I actually had to retune when I put it in cause I was seeing too much fuel. I am pushing around 600hp in my application but I am going to upgrade my wiring to get full advantage of the pump. only lately I have been seeing a drop in fuel when I give it pedal and I am not sure if it is a loose hose in the sump or if its the wiring or if the pump is actually wearing out. they are nice guys down there and get right back to you if you have any issues and I got the pump in a timely manor, and if you have any issues within a year they offer a free replacement without hessitating. I just today ordered a second pump from them and plan on either fabbing a dual pump setup or just replacing the old one. ~Guy
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please Please , dont buy from TRE performance, bad bad bad and I do mean BAaaaaaaaaaaaad customer service.
I bought a fuel pump feb 4th 10am, and paid for 1 day shipping! ITs been three days and I have not recived the pump. I have the tracking number and it looks like I want get it untill tommorow.
I call their hotline and the guy hardly lets you get to words out your mouth before he cuts you off. He also tried to explain why it not his fault that usps says 1day when they could mean 3. Then he emails me and says " we dont have people sitting here waiting to proceess orders man!" What the f@#?.......then what the hell do they do.

Bottom line is, 1 day shipping cost me a extra 24.99 and I paid through paypal before 10am(they open at 10am)on the 4th of feb. The order didnt process until 5th and today is the 7th and I still have not gotten it.
Deal with TRE Performance if you want a company that dosnt own up to flaws.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did TRE become a sponser?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like I said dont buy from this company. Rude and now I see even liars!
There are numerous lies in his reply and since I can tell he likes to type......this may continue if I let it so I will just say you get what you pay for. Notice that I am not the only one giving bad info about them.

PS.
And the dam pump didnt last two weeks, ended up getting a new walbro.

Quick Reply: Anyone use those TRE 255 fuel pumps off of ebay for $68.00?