Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end vibration DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!----HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
KBG
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end vibration DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!----HELP!!

first of all my setup

99 SS A4 - 4l60e

-BMR full length adjustable torque arm with relocation crossmember....poly mount is on the third hole from the bottom
on the crossmember
-SLP non adjustable panhard rod
-SLP non adjustable LCAs
-stock springs and shocks
-Dana 60 rear end with BMR LCA relocation brackets

First of all let me say I installed the Dana 60/torque arm and crossmember together and this thing has been vibrating excessively since then....vibration starts at about 60-65 mph and gets worse the faster you go

I have had the tires balanced, the driveshaft balanced, and tried pinion angle at 0, -1, -2, and -3....seems to be best around zero but the damn vibration WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!

it is mostly the entire console and shift **** vibrating but if I have anything in the center cupholder forget about it.....it's going to vibrate all over hell!!!

I can't drive the car on the interstate....it's just too annoying.....the only place I don't notice it at high speeds is the dragstrip but that is naturally because my foot is to the floor

I think i am going to try to remove the crossmember and mount the torque arm back on the tranny although I'd rather not......A broken tailshaft or two won't bother me if i can drive the car again!!!!!

HELP!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the driveshaft sticking into the transmission the same amount as it was with the 10 bolt rear? If it isn't, this could be why you have the vibration. Bob
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 AM
12 Second Club

I have the same issue but I think mine is transmission related. I have a new performabuilt waiting to go in. I do not take the parkway either. 70 will shake you to hell.

Take out the driveshaft and see if the output shaft moves way too much. Mine is, my new transmission doesnt move a bit. I think that is the issue.

Just my .02.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 AM
KBG
Launching!

well I have a brand new performabuilt so I would hope thats not the issue but I will check it out.......yes the driveshaft is fine.....it came with the rearend from strange so I know the length is right
Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
KBG
Launching!

thinking back I installed the tranny first and there was no vibration.....added the S60 and strange driveshaft, torque arm and relocation crossmember..... and that is when it started
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Check that driveshaft. Mine was an ounce out when it came from Strange with my S60.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
KBG
Launching!

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS602
Check that driveshaft. Mine was an ounce out when it came from Strange with my S60.
had it balanced at a very reputable local shop that pretty much does rear ends only and he said it was as close to perfect as anyone could get it and I would never notice it vibrating
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Well thats good to know. It sounds like we are in similar situations. My car has the S60 and vibration problems even after balancing the driveshaft. I have read of some people having the pinion yoke out of balance. Don't exactly know how one would check that.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
KBG
Launching!

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS602
Well thats good to know. It sounds like we are in similar situations. My car has the S60 and vibration problems even after balancing the driveshaft. I have read of some people having the pinion yoke out of balance. Don't exactly know how one would check that.
I think I'm going to put my car on a lift today and run it up to highway speeds and check it out......hopefully the vibration will show itself with no weight on the suspension...who knows???

I'm out of ideas
Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a lsit of things I have done:

Prothane ploy motor mounts
Prothane poly trans mount
Prothane poly torque arm bushing
Tex OZ700 clutch
T56 rebuilds trans
New pilot bearing
All new hydraulics
Strange driveshaft (rebalanced)
S60 - tru trac 4.30s (checked and repaired)
UMI poly/rod end LCAs and panhard bar
Stock torque arm (not bent)
KYB GR2 rear shocks
Wheels balanced

My vibration starts around 75-80 mph.

One thing I have noticed is that with the S60 it throws rear sway bar geometry off. Longer end links will be required.

I will be trying this on Friday.
1. New rear rotors. (have heard these can be out of balance)
2. Correct length end links
3. Shim the cross member down using large flat washers to adjust pinion angle.

These will be done 1 at time. I'll post my results.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
KBG
Launching!

when you say the S60 was checked and repaired was there something wrong with it????
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Yes sir. It was getting way too hot. Made the housing so hot you couldn't touch it. It was fixed uder waranty. The main caps were over torque causing significant binding. Fried the bearing and burnt the oil. Had new bearings installed and had the mains torqued properly.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

make sure your rims are not bent. put it on a hunter tire machine, spin it and check the runout using the rim runout check thing. I had a rear vibration like you and it was a damn wheel. made it feel like the driveshaft was vibrating bad
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
KBG
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
make sure your rims are not bent. put it on a hunter tire machine, spin it and check the runout using the rim runout check thing. I had a rear vibration like you and it was a damn wheel. made it feel like the driveshaft was vibrating bad
rims are fine...they were fine before the rear end so I don't think anything would have changed with them
Old 11-26-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

never know just double check!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to be ordering a dana 60 in the next couple months so will be watching this thread. I am also going to 4l80e. I have bmr regular length torque arm and have to move it to my bmr 4l80e conversion crossmember off the trans no choice there.

I was thinking to just get a strange driveshaft likely their best one at same time.

I will be going with 3.54 gear and checking them first.

I sure hope don't have any big vibrations.I have poly motor mounts they are pretty much required with the aps twin turbo kit. In the past had poly mounts on my m6 and they were horrible for vibration. I removed them after a few hours couldn't stand it. I tried some tricks shaving off the humps etc but went back to stock rubber trans mount much better.

I was wondering also if my big hotchkis back sway will fit ok on the strange or if will have to do anything and which cover should get to also clear the hotchkis sway.

Pinion angles can definitely cause vibrations. I might have my driveshaft checked locally as well. And it has to be shortened for sure for the dana 60.

So hoping you guys figure this thing out so don't have any similar problems.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be watching this thread also...the dana 60 comes will arrive in a few days.....i hope you find it KBG
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

ever put fix-a-flat in your tire? that causes vibrations.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM
KBG
Launching!

nope never have or would......just put some brand new billet specialties wheels on the car too ....vibration is still there
Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

hey bro! I have some info for you. Move the torque arm up one to be the 4th from the bottom on the transmission crossmember and then redial your ta to -.5 % LOL! Mine was the same way but you have to think since the TA is now bolted directly to the floor of the car, IT AIN'T MOVING! Great set-tup just like mine but I have 9". Rear-end is making noise but that's what happens with heavier rear-ends. More noise but definitely more reliablility.

Quick Reply: rear end vibration DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!----HELP!!