Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Twisted axle as it relates to gear whine????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twisted axle as it relates to gear whine????

I rebuilt my 7.625 10 bolt a while back. I painstakingly measured every clearance until I got the backlash and the pattern just right. I put in GM OE 3.73's (not motive gears). The rear end was completely quiet. I went through the break in period and then some before I beat on it.

Fast forward to a few months later. While running at the local strip I twisted a stock axle. I twisted it pretty good. The splines were visibly distorted and I had to beat the axle out of the carrier. I now have a whine on acceleration and deceleration. I took the rear end completely apart, but left the pinion in the housing. I checked the backlash again and it was fine, replaced the carrier bearings with brand new ones, and didn't see any damage from the twisted axle but I still have the same whine.

My question is.... How did twisting this axle cause the rear to whine if everything appears normal. The only thing I can think of now is to try to tighten the pinion nut a fuzz. Does anyone think that this will help the whine? Do I have any other options other than replacing the gears?

Josh
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Banned

It distorted the case.
If you look at EPP's website or posts here you'll find that he says a 12 bolt will make more noise after being run hard. It's due to case distortion caused by the torque arm.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Do a pattern check in several spots around the gear. Also, check BL at several spots. If that looks good, then pull the pinion.