Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Will A Adjustable Torque Arm Stop My Gear Whine?Like Shop Says?
Yes It Will
5.56%
No It Wont
94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

shop says I need adjus.TA to Stop gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop says I need adjus.TA to Stop gear whine

I had a moser 9 inch rear end put in my car not to long ago,and it howls like crazy on the highway...I told the guy several times that I think the gears werent properly set/aligned.His response was that the pinion angle is off and I need a adjustable torque arm to set the correct angle.........................So the question is do you guys think the gear whine will go away with the torque arm?And should I have that shop install it?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Gear whine is completely separate from your torque arm. You can adjust it any way you want it will not affect whine. It will affect vibration due to the pinion angles however.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

lol, if the shop is saying that your torque arm causes whine then don't ever go back there.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jattgunman
I had a moser 9 inch rear end put in my car not to long ago,and it howls like crazy on the highway...I told the guy several times that I think the gears werent properly set/aligned.His response was that the pinion angle is off and I need a adjustable torque arm to set the correct angle.........................So the question is do you guys think the gear whine will go away with the torque arm?And should I have that shop install it?
I'm assuming you're using the stock torque arm right now, if you add the adj. one it will probably get worse, as it brings a lot more noise into the cabin. The pinion angle is important, but in this case it is probably a matter of setup.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

After paying 3,000+ dollars I would assume he will at least reopen the 9 inch and take a look inside...The torque arm is still the stock one but he was saying the pinion angle was thrown off thus causing the gears to howl on the highway?...And the shop is a sponsor on this site out in cali
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I'm having a similar problem..A shop took out my stock 2:73's and put in Motive performance 3:73's..Everyone on this site say these gears are pretty quiet..Mine whine bad..And now the shop want to take them out,put new ones in and Charge me. I'm starting to think they don't know what they are doing..
Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irocem99
I'm having a similar problem..A shop took out my stock 2:73's and put in Motive performance 3:73's..Everyone on this site say these gears are pretty quiet..Mine whine bad..And now the shop want to take them out,put new ones in and Charge me. I'm starting to think they don't know what they are doing..
Yikes. Something definitely wrong with the install there.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I thought..I just talked to them,they said I will have it back Monday. They told me not to worry..Now I am worried! What happened to putting them in the 1st time..
Old 05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

After paying 3,000+ dollars I would assume he will at least reopen the 9 inch and take a look inside...The torque arm is still the stock one but he was saying the pinion angle was thrown off thus causing the gears to howl on the highway?...And the shop is a sponsor on this site out in cali
I am not going to get defensive here but there are two different things that you have going onif you are who I think you are. If not correct me. Number one, you pinion angle is not correct. Number two, your sway bar is hitting the back of the differential. There is a difference between a gear making noise due to it being aftermarket and just totally being screwed up on the setup. We had your car at our shop twice, the initial setup and a follow up because of a thumping noise you were hearing which was again do to the sway bar as we told you when you picked your car up the first time and the drain plug dripping on the housing. You mentioned you were concerned about the gear making noise, I told you it is not uncommon for an aftermarket gear to make noise especially with the pinion angle not right as it puts an extreme amount of load on the gears when the angle is not set right. We pulled the entire differential apart at no cost to you to verify the setup and make sure everything was well within spec, which it was, and mentioned to you again that an aftermarket torque arm and sway bar were recommended to relieve the stress the pinion is under as well as clear the rear of the housing better. I can say with 100% confidence that this differential is setup correctly as we did our part in verifying at no cost to you. Did you do what we recommened??? My guess is no otherwise you would have called me first before posting something like this on the forum. Let me know if you did, but again the gears are fine, If you would like to try another brand we could but still, NO GARUNTEE against noise on aftermarket gears and there would be a cost associated. We can discuss it further if you would like to give me a call.

BTW: I never said an adjustable torque arm will get rid of any gear noise. That would be like me saying changing the oil will get rid of gear noise. I stated that the torque arm is putting stress on the pinion and that can cause extra load on the pinion bearings and make noise.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by Jawsgear; 05-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

That's what I thought..I just talked to them,they said I will have it back Monday. They told me not to worry..Now I am worried! What happened to putting them in the 1st time..
Is there son driving it to the other shop?

Jeff
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
I am not going to get defensive here but there are two different things that you have going onif you are who I think you are. If not correct me. Number one, you pinion angle is not correct. Number two, your sway bar is hitting the back of the differential. There is a difference between a gear making noise due to it being aftermarket and just totally being screwed up on the setup. We had your car at our shop twice, the initial setup and a follow up because of a thumping noise you were hearing which was again do to the sway bar as we told you when you picked your car up the first time and the drain plug dripping on the housing. You mentioned you were concerned about the gear making noise, I told you it is not uncommon for an aftermarket gear to make noise especially with the pinion angle not right as it puts an extreme amount of load on the gears when the angle is not set right. We pulled the entire differential apart at no cost to you to verify the setup and make sure everything was well within spec, which it was, and mentioned to you again that an aftermarket torque arm and sway bar were recommended to relieve the stress the pinion is under as well as clear the rear of the housing better. I can say with 100% confidence that this differential is setup correctly as we did our part in verifying at no cost to you. Did you do what we recommened??? My guess is no otherwise you would have called me first before posting something like this on the forum. Let me know if you did, but again the gears are fine, If you would like to try another brand we could but still, NO GARUNTEE against noise on aftermarket gears and there would be a cost associated. We can discuss it further if you would like to give me a call.

BTW: I never said an adjustable torque arm will get rid of any gear noise. That would be like me saying changing the oil will get rid of gear noise. I stated that the torque arm is putting stress on the pinion and that can cause extra load on the pinion bearings and make noise.

Regards,

Jeff
Yes I was the one who came back the second time for the drain plug(and the leak in the right wheel well also),but the sway bar isnt the issue because the thumping is only on bumpy roads and I agreed with you on that, I was talking about the whine coming from the rear end which isnt a slight whine more of a howl, I simply opened this thread to make sure that its the torque arm causing the gears to whine before spending another $300 for a TA...Plus I DIDNT say the shops name because if it turns out to be the torque arm then theres no problem,this thread was simply just to get information..And the reason I sent you the private message was because I wanted you to take a look at what people are saying about how its not caused because of the torque arm.By no means am I on the offensive and trying to put down your shop I never even mentioned your name simply that its a cali shop which would allow other shop owners to chime in..

BTW I am still getting the adjustable Torque Arm Within the week even though most people dont think it will help,But hopefully it does
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Is there son driving it to the other shop?

Jeff
I think this was to another poster in my thread ?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Yes I was the one who came back the second time for the drain plug(and the leak in the right wheel well also),but the sway bar isnt the issue because the thumping is only on bumpy roads and I agreed with you on that, I was talking about the whine coming from the rear end which isnt a slight whine more of a howl, I simply opened this thread to make sure that its the torque arm causing the gears to whine before spending another $300 for a TA...Plus I DIDNT say the shops name because if it turns out to be the torque arm then theres no problem,this thread was simply just to get information..And the reason I sent you the private message was because I wanted you to take a look at what people are saying about how its not caused because of the torque arm.By no means am I on the offensive and trying to put down your shop I never even mentioned your name simply that its a cali shop which would allow other shop owners to chime in..

BTW I am still getting the adjustable Torque Arm Within the week even though most people dont think it will help,But hopefully it does
I completely understand what you are saying, I just wanted it to be clear as I have nothing to hide on this situation. I like being proactive and take no offense to your post but want all the fact stated.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

I think this was to another poster in my thread ?
Yes it was, I have been helping him too.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

No problem, I never said anything bad about the shop nor mentioned it,but I pretty much stated all the facts for this particular issue,not the sway bar thump or leaks since I thought those were irrelevant and not related to the whine....

But anyways would you be able to install the Adjustable Torque Arm in your shop that way there will be no issues

Last edited by jattgunman; 05-02-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

How many gear shops in Cali are sponsers are this site? I'm not trying to get anything started, but you have to give kudos to Jeff for being a stand up guy and letting this not bother him.....It looks like your saying it's shop..you coulda just said a shop, instead of saying where and that they are a sponser...
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by getusum
How many gear shops in Cali are sponsers are this site? I'm not trying to get anything started, but you have to give kudos to Jeff for being a stand up guy and letting this not bother him.....It looks like your saying it's shop..you coulda just said a shop, instead of saying where and that they are a sponser...
GETUSUM your a instegator : to goad or urge forward : provoke
theres more than one shop in cali man,Nor cal And So cal all have shops.Do you know where in cali im from?..Plus this particular shop is a sponsor which I did mention but it is NOT listed in the sponsor list so no one would of found it(which i checked before hand)...I DID NOT ONCE MENTION jeff or jawsgear so stop tryin to start **** "getusum",jeff is a cool dude, plus I PMED him so it would stay private ,it was his choice to respond to the thread and I never bashed anyone,im simply getting answers especially when people where telling me I dont need the New torque arm but I will be getting the torque arm like jeff is saying and well see if that fixes it..

Last edited by jattgunman; 05-02-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yes,and he swears it will be done Monday.. And he's charging me another $350..But,He does alot of business with us,so I'm going to set up an charge account for him and give him credit..He can buy stuff off me and work the credit down..Street smarts..LOL
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Jeff at Jaw's gear is awesome..I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone..If someone has a problem..Be a man and PM them..Jeff has done nothing but help me.!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Jeff at Jaw's gear is awesome..I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone..If someone has a problem..Be a man and PM them..Jeff has done nothing but help me.!
Jeff is a awesome guy,But i dont know who you were aiming that be a man part?if it was towards me please explain..

Any ways the topic is still there is and anyones input is welcomed