Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange engineering S60

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange engineering S60

i was looking for a new rear end (i will need one soon enough). and was always partial to Moser 9". i know i have seen alot of fast cars running an S60 but have a few questions.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

would the stock rear disc brakes work?
does it have the mounts for the LCA's and PHB or would those need to be welded in?
how would that compare to the Moser 9" in durability and performance?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Launching!

uploaded url to s60 pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
075.pdf (247.8 KB, 257 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Launching!

I have an S60 with 4.10s in my car, it has stock rear disc brakes, Lakewood Lcas and a UMI PHB bolted on. I will also be adding a Strano parts sway bar within the next week or so which should fit since Sam said GMHTP did a car with an S60 and later added his sway bars. As far as S60 vs M9, I believe the S60 is a little heavier and the M9 is actually a little stronger but that only comes into play when your HP and TQ numbers are 4 digits in length. Theres several threads on here about S60 vs 9".
Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

yeah try a search. I thought I read the s60 was stronger in especially the lsd
Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

I've got a Moser 9" and absolutely love it!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The S60 is a bolt in application, im glad that the axle i went with i was able to keep abs(4 channel) the axle is very quiet and all parts can be swapped over....but you do need to get either a new drive shaft or get it shortened
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Adam1982
I have an S60 with 4.10s in my car, it has stock rear disc brakes, Lakewood Lcas and a UMI PHB bolted on. I will also be adding a Strano parts sway bar within the next week or so which should fit since Sam said GMHTP did a car with an S60 and later added his sway bars. As far as S60 vs M9, I believe the S60 is a little heavier and the M9 is actually a little stronger but that only comes into play when your HP and TQ numbers are 4 digits in length. Theres several threads on here about S60 vs 9".
i would rather have strength and be able to launch on slicks at 4k RPM and not worry about it, even if i lose a little bit more power to the rear. i know i have the three channel, so it is good that it has those provisions.

as well my BMR LCA's, PHB and stock TQ arm will bolt right up.

will my LCARBs still work?

what would you recommend for driveshaft? i know moser does custom length, or should i go with strange if they have them?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Adam1982
will the stock rear sway bar still bolt in?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it should
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by impaled
will my LCARBs still work?

what would you recommend for driveshaft? i know moser does custom length, or should i go with strange if they have them?
The bolt in relocation brackets will fit the S60 but not the Moser 9" would need the weld on set seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2011

The S60 needs a shorter driveshaft but you can purchase that from Strange with the rear end. We used both rear ends and they both work well, your control arms and panhard bar as well as torque arm will bolt on with no issues... However with the Moser you will most likely need adjustable lower control arms and a panahrd bar to get the rear end centered. We did find the fitment of the S60 to be better and non-adj. items worked unlike the 9"

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The bolt in relocation brackets will fit the S60 but not the Moser 9" would need the weld on set seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2011

The S60 needs a shorter driveshaft but you can purchase that from Strange with the rear end. We used both rear ends and they both work well, your control arms and panhard bar as well as torque arm will bolt on with no issues... However with the Moser you will most likely need adjustable lower control arms and a panahrd bar to get the rear end centered. We did find the fitment of the S60 to be better and non-adj. items worked unlike the 9"

Hope that helps!
Ryan
thanks for the info. i am most likely going with the S60, and all suspension is adjustable. how would i determine the driveshaft length, and what am i looking at as far as cost on the drive shaft goes.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

S60 is a great very strong street/strip bolt in. I'm going to be selling mine soon, DS, relco LCA brakets welded on, ready to go.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the info. i am most likely going with the S60, and all suspension is adjustable. how would i determine the driveshaft length, and what am i looking at as far as cost on the drive shaft goes.

i have all the correct driveshaft lengths for the S60. i offer the driveshaft at a discount with the rearend order. pm me for a quote.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange sells the drive shafts, they will know exactly what you need and the length.... I know Byunspeed carries Strange, that is were we purchased our last S60... look them up at www.byunspeed.com and talk with Young.

Quick Reply: strange engineering S60