Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Backing plate T-bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Backing plate T-bolts

I saw something about this on here but couldn't find it.

Anyways, on my Moser 9", the T-bolts seem too short. With the lock washer on, the bolt does not come through the nut. With it off, there are a few threads coming through.

What is everyone doing?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually just had my axles out yesterday to replace the bearings. the bolts dont come all the way through the nut on mine either. although i dont think that they really could because the nuts are almost up against the reluctor ring (4 channel) i just put some blue locktite on there and called it a day.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember being concerned about that. I ended up putting it together with Locktite and star type washers.

Mine is three channel but I still don't think there was enough clearance to use flat and lock washers. Never the less, maybe a slightly longer T-bolt would be the ticket.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
i actually just had my axles out yesterday to replace the bearings. the bolts dont come all the way through the nut on mine either. although i dont think that they really could because the nuts are almost up against the reluctor ring (4 channel) i just put some blue locktite on there and called it a day.
Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I remember being concerned about that. I ended up putting it together with Locktite and star type washers.

Mine is three channel but I still don't think there was enough clearance to use flat and lock washers. Never the less, maybe a slightly longer T-bolt would be the ticket.

Mine is 3 channel also, so I had room to get a flex head ratchet wrench in there.

Isn't red loctite stronger than blue? I used red so hopefully those things won't come loose.

Bob @ EPP should petition to Moser to start including slightly longer T-bolts!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetlag
Mine is 3 channel also, so I had room to get a flex head ratchet wrench in there.

Isn't red loctite stronger than blue? I used red so hopefully those things won't come loose.

Bob @ EPP should petition to Moser to start including slightly longer T-bolts!
Yes, the red is stronger and is more heat resistant. You might need to heat the bolt when it comes time to take it off. No biggy.

Ford Racing M-4002-B consists of eight 3/8x24x1.30" t-bolts and self locking nuts. I think the lock nuts with the big shoulder might be the way to go.

.....How long are the Moser T-bolts?

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 02-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you take the Ebrake off its pointlessly easy to get them on...took me a min to figure that one out lol... I used blue loc tite on mine and have had my axles out twice and nothing ever came loose
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
If you take the Ebrake off its pointlessly easy to get them on...took me a min to figure that one out lol... I used blue loc tite on mine and have had my axles out twice and nothing ever came loose
Yeah, I had no problem tightening the bolts... I was just wondering about the washers.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Mine pull through the nut and about maybe 1 to 2 threads show through
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

My t-bolts were too short also. I realized that my 9 inch housing wasn't machined deep enough and that my axle bearings were keeping the brake backing plate from mounting directly to the housing. Took some measurements and had a friend machine just enough space in the backing plate so that it mounted directly to the housing and not the axle bearing.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

2000TransAm, that is weird...did you buy the housing new or used? Where did you get it?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Bought it brand new from driveline solutions. Took that route because I didn't feel like sending everything off again. Moser sent me 2 driver side axles and my car was down for a few weeks already. Everything works fine now except for a leaky axle seal.

Quick Reply: Backing plate T-bolts