Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

not sure about a sound

Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not sure about a sound

hey fellas,

i have this sound coming from my rear end that increases with speed. it is an a4 and the sound isnt effected at all when shifting, rather just a gradual increased whine as you go faster NOT when switching gears. the car idles just fine but after about 30 mph, jeez, turn on the radio!

On deceleration it sounds kinda like an electric car slowing down.

Its a 2001 SS that is never beat on at all. It has 45,500k miles also. rear has never been serviced other than a bad pinion seal.

*Side Note* i have a SES light on for 4 emission codes, i have reasearched that i need to change my passenger side air check valve. Could this possibly be something with emissions even though it is very unlikely?!?!?

any opinions?

is it time to take it to the dealer and let em fix it under warrenty?????

any help would be appreciated guys,

thanks

kevin

Last edited by Camaro Ryder KV; 02-13-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just the gear whine maybe? my stock gears (3.23s) made a whine noticeable when the stereo was off and windows up
Old 02-13-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know this just started around end of september early october, i was hoping it was just the cold or something. When the windows are up and radio is off, it is very noticable.

Last edited by Camaro Ryder KV; 02-13-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

ya it may just be gear whine. i didnt notice mine till about a yr ago. ive had the car for 3 yrs. i had the differential cover off a month ago and mine are fine, just gear whine

does the pitch of the whine change with speed?
if so, id say gear whine
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When did you have the pinion seal serviced? When I first had my pinion seal replaced, the pinion nut was overtightened. A couple weeks later I had the exact symptoms you are describing. The noise increased with speed and it got worse with time. The pinion and carrier bearings were going bad and I had to have the rear rebuilt.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nemss1
ya it may just be gear whine. i didnt notice mine till about a yr ago. ive had the car for 3 yrs. i had the differential cover off a month ago and mine are fine, just gear whine

does the pitch of the whine change with speed?
if so, id say gear whine
yes very much so

Originally Posted by Spiers
When did you have the pinion seal serviced? When I first had my pinion seal replaced, the pinion nut was overtightened. A couple weeks later I had the exact symptoms you are describing. The noise increased with speed and it got worse with time. The pinion and carrier bearings were going bad and I had to have the rear rebuilt.
i had the pinion seal replaced 3/18/08 and the noise started just after the indy car show so around the end of September early october
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it may or may not be related. All the advice I have is what I posted in my experience. My whine got louder with the speed of the car and it got worse over time. It sounded like a semi was driving next to me. And as you described, sounded like an electric car winding down on decceleration. The bearings were bad and I had them replaced within a couple weeks after the noise started. It's been quiet ever since.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just checked a few sites and you seem to be right, after reading some symptoms it really cant be anything else but the bearings
http://www.dippy.org/svcman/sm03.html#REARAXLENOISE
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 AM
11 Second Club

Seems like you already found your problem.

If a shop changes a pinion seal without taking apart the whole rearend, they can/will crush the crush sleeve. It seems you may have gotten lucky and it was barely crushed, but over time got worse. Especially if you gave it any wide open throttle romps.

My bearings lasted 3 days after having my pinion seal replaced.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I purchased a kit from O'Reilly's that came with all bearings and seals needed. I had a local shop do the labor for ~$250.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Produ...&currentPage=0

Search this Thread